1995 Ranger A?C Issues...This is gonna be a tough one to answer!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:58 PM
apollo95
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Ranger A?C Issues...This is gonna be a tough one to answer!

Hi everyone. I think I am going to stump all of you on this one! So, I just got this 1995 Ranger 2.3 4cyl from my neighbor. It has 134K on it. He told me that the A/C doesn't blow cold. So, I go to change all of the fuses in the car. Now, it doesn't blow at all! So far, I changed the fuse, changed the relay. What else? Bad enough the compressor never kicked on, but now it doesn't even blow at all! Help!!!

Thanks!

Dave

Old 09-21-2006, 05:08 PM
MazdaRangerGuyInSTL
Elder User
NO AIR AT ALL COMES OUT OF THE VENTS? On heat, A/c, defrost, vent, floor,... nothing?

AND the compressor doesn't kick on?

Ok.. first question.. why did you change all the fuses? Fuses don't go bad due to age. Is it possible you misplaced one or left one out? Or maybe it was missing in the first place.

Second question... did it blow BEFORE you changed fuses?

The compressor not kicking on can be any of a huge number of things. You're going to have to check some things and get back to us, as we could spend all day telling you possible failures.

Is there power going to the blower motor? Does it have freon in it? Does it have power going to the blower switch?

Old 09-21-2006, 08:46 PM
apollo95
Junior User
It gets even more strange

Okay, so I replaced the fuses becuase, while almost all of them weren't blown (including the A/C), most of them looked a little charred. I thought that it would be a good measure to replace the fuses on an 11 year old truck with 134K on it.

Here's where it gets strange. So, tonight, I went to autozone to get some throttle cleaner, and the A/C compressor kicks on and off a few times. However, it only blew (very weak) when I was driving. When I came to a stop, it stopped blowing. I replaced my battery and A/C cycle clutch switch. It didn't help at all. Now what?

Old 09-22-2006, 12:36 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apollo95
So, tonight, I went to autozone to get some throttle cleaner, and the A/C compressor kicks on and off a few times.
This will occur when the HVAC is in any position other than off, vent, or heat. Normal operation.

When I came to a stop, it stopped blowing.
This is because some air will be forced into and through the HVAC system when driving. Normal operation.

Now what?
Sounds like you need to break out your voltmeter and trace the blower circuit wiring. You can start at the source or start at the blower and work your way back. Probe for voltage at each appropriate connection until you find a *dead* section of wiring or a lack of voltage at the source, which means that you would have to work back from there.

***Fuses do not go bad with age. Just imagine how many cars would be sitting on the side of the road dead if they did .

Old 09-22-2006, 12:53 PM
apollo95
Junior User
Thanks

Thanks for your help. I will get the voltmeter going.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Holmesuser01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I still think you are low on freon.

My '83 has ALL of its original fuses. Never blown one, ever. 180K, too!

That must have cost you some $$ to replace them all.

Last edited by Holmesuser01; 09-24-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:44 PM
apollo95
Junior User
Turns out, it was the blower motor switch. I replaced it and it works great! $7 part! Thanks for everyone's help!