Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help!!! 95 F150 4x4 spindle

Old 09-19-2006, 01:17 PM
buck_
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please help!!! 95 F150 4x4 spindle

Here is the problem, this truck has two different spindles on it. One side uses one seal on the hub, the other has two seals. The side with one seal on the hub has a smooth spindel, the side with two seals has a machined area that the second seal rides on. Which one is correct?? I'm thinking the one with two seals is correct by looking at Ford's shop manual but I can't seem to find another spindle like it. I've been to Ford and they tell me there is only one spindle for these trucks, but the seals they bring out for this spindle are not the same as the two piece ones. Does anyone know where I can find the correct spindle? This truck is driving me nuts. Here is the info I have for this truck

build date 8-94
axle ratio 3.54
manual hubs
non-limited slip front diff

Thanks for any input
Buck

Old 09-19-2006, 04:50 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm having a hard time picturing what you're describing. Any chance you can take pictures of this? Or a better description?

All 4x4 Fords that I've taken apart have one seal, and it's inboard of the inner wheel bearing and keeps dirt and water out of the bearings. I have never seen nor heard of a second seal. The hub cover itself is the outer seal.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Sounds like somebody did a self fixemup sorta deal to get something to work. You would be best off replaceing the whole assembly that is machined and putting the correct one on.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:55 AM
buck_
Tuned
Andym,
Sorry but I have no way of taking a picture of it or how I would put it here if I did.

Talyln,
Both of these spindles and seal setups could be right. This is not something someone made. Someone just replaced one of the spindles with the wrong one. Ford's shop manual for this truck shows the step type spindle with the two different seals but the parts book/computer does not show it that way.

I'll try to explain it a little more clear (I hope).
The one side with the one seal is set up like any two wheel drive truck. Bearing goes in the race, seal gets set in hub behind the bearing and the seal rides on spindle. The seal looks like any other normal wheel bearing seal.

The side with two seals. The wheel bearing seal has a large flat metal ring around the outside. The inside of the seal (the rubber part) is smaller in diameter then the one piece setup. This rubber part of the seal rides on a machined serface of the spindle. There is another seal that is pressed on the spindle. This seal presses against the back side of the wheel bearing seal. Riding on the large metal ring.

The one seal spindle is the same diameter from top to bottom where the seal rides.

The side with the two seal is stepped. It is a larger diameter at the base then steps down (smaller diameter). The wheel bearing seal rides on the spindle, the spindle seal rides on the back of the wheel bearing seal.

I know both of these setups could have come on this truck due to two things. One, Ford's shop manual shows the step design with two seals. Two, the kid at the local parts counter pulled both type of seal setups out for a 95 F150 4X4.

The funny thing is that Ford's shop manual does not show a single seal setup for this truck, only the two seal setup.

I hope this is a little more clear.

Buck

P.S. The lady at the junk yard called me before I went to work and she thinks they found one. It should be in on Thursday. God I hope it's the correct one this time.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:43 AM
buck_
Tuned
I hope this works. Here is a link to a picture of the seal that is pressed on the spindle. This seal rides on the back of the wheel bearing seal.
http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...+-+Front+Wheel

Here is a link to the wheel bearing seal. While this does look a little different then what I have, it should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...+-+Front+Wheel If you look at the larger picture you will see an outer ring. This ring is where the seal that is on the spindle rides.

This is the best I could come up with as far as pictures. Hope it helps
Buck

Old 09-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Peter94
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wonder if one is for a 150 and one is for a 250?

Or one is for a solid axle and one is for a ttb?

Old 09-20-2006, 12:18 PM
96f150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buck , are those 2wd seals? Only seal I have ever seen on a 4x4 is the one that gets pressed into the backside of the hub, or pressed onto the spindle itself. There should'nt be any seal on the front side, as it is sealed by the 4x4 locking hub...........Maybe someone had put 2 seals on the spindle?

Old 09-20-2006, 12:23 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Somebody frankensteined that truck. I have never seen the two seal setup before. If it's too much of a pain to deal with, swap the spindles out.

Are the rotors the same between the two sides?

Old 09-20-2006, 07:40 PM
ovalholic
Senior User
I have done these on my 95 F150. The truck should have 2 inner selas on it, one is a normal seal that gets pressed into the hub and the other is a flat metal ring type that goes behind it. Ford sells it as a kit for less than $15.00 a side.

If you have to know what that other side is out of...get the number off the seal, cross it to National, CR, Timkin, etc. and then see what it fits.

I think the seals and beaaring hubs are different for automatic vs. manual hubs. Most of these trucks came with automatics hubs so it is likely it was swaped over when they failed.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:59 AM
buck_
Tuned
Ok, this is what I've been able to come up with. The spindle for the two inner seal setup was only used on 95 and 96 F150s, but not every one came with this setup. Some could still use a single inner seal(at least on the 95, I never checked for both on the 96). The F250s which used the Dana 50 did not use the dual seat setup. Also, the question of what type of hubs was never asked. So I would say it does not matter if auto or manual hubs.

So I'm guessing that when the truck was hit, someone could not find the spindle for the dual seal and used one off a 94 or older. I'm glad I based my spindle search on what the Ford shop manual said and not what the guy at the Ford parts counter came up with.

Guess I'll see what the spindle looks like when it gets here around 4 or 5 pm tonight.

Thanks
Buck

Old 09-21-2006, 06:05 AM
buck_
Tuned
I forgot to add that I checked on the bearings also. The same bearings were used on both spindles (single and dual seal) and again the question of hubs was never asked.

Buck

Old 09-21-2006, 05:58 PM
alz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When replacing mine, I was asked single or double seals as well. I believe I bought both as I had not yet taken it apart to see what was in there. Just returned ones I didn't need. It has something to do with the build date. Early or late 95. I think mine had the single seal.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:08 PM
94broncoxl
Senior User
To 4/30/95 uses single seal setup on an F150. From 5/1/95 use the double seal setup.
Broncos always use the single seal setup. Wheel bearings are the same.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:34 PM
96f150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not always true. My 96 with a build date of 10/95, uses a one piece seal. Ford loves to do this to us

Old 09-21-2006, 09:53 PM
94broncoxl
Senior User
Just goes to show you nothing is for certain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please help!!! 95 F150 4x4 spindle