F150 Transmission 5 speed OD 1995

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:38 AM
fsaburro
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 Transmission 5 speed OD 1995

I have a 1995 Ford F150 XL. It has a 5 speed OD manual transmission. The 1/2 gear shifter fork is worn out. I want to replace it. I have 2 questions:

1) How do I determine what transmission I have?

2) What could have caused the fork to wear out? Could there be other possible problems with the transmission that I need to check out?

The symptoms were the truck would not shift into 1st or 2nd gears but would shift into the other gears.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:57 AM
KW160
Senior User
You have a Mazda M5R2 transmission. From reading these forums it appears that this is one weak link in this transmission and can happen fro normal wear. How many miles are on it?

Old 09-19-2006, 10:58 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The transmission should be a Mazda M5R2. I don't know a lot about the transmissions in general, but another common problem I have read about is leaking from the rubber shift rail seals.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Chumbucket
Senior User
Trans

Read that white tag on side of transmission to get Ford #number OEM.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:48 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Moved to appropriate forum per our "Read First!" annoucement at the top of the 87-96 forum...

It's definitely an M5R2 (aka M5OD).

It's not uncommon for the shift fork to go out, if the tranny was working fine previously to that failure...I'd simply replace the worn parts and flush the tranny with fluid. Fill it up and run it, if it works fine then off ya go. If you still have problems than something else is wrong.

Then I'd change it within 50 miles and leave it as long as there are no other symptoms.

I'm meticulous about any metal debris that could be in the tranny from the shift fork so I personally would fluid the fluid and make sure it's clean.

Last edited by MustangGT221; 09-19-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, its an M5OD. The forks can be replaced by just pulling the top cover and sliding out the shift rail. Pretty simple.

Worn forks are almost always the result of a driver that won't keep his hand off the shifter. If you rest your hand on the shifter between shifts you are wearing out the shift forks.

The other thing that can cause worn shift forks is a bad pilot bearing. If the pilot bearing is dragging then it requires more effort to shift (as additional pressure is required on the synchro ring to spin the gear up - and you therefore wear the synchro ring too) and that wears the fork. So while you have the transmission out to change the forks, inspect the clutch and pilot bearing. Replace as necessary.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT

Old 11-29-2013, 09:32 AM
captain1997
Senior User
I have the same trans. just had mine out to do a new clutch and slave and pilot bearing. swapped out the top of the trans for a top that was recently rebuilt.
Since I put the trans back in everytime I let off the throttle it starts grinding and wanting to come back out of gear it never comes back out of gear completely. I either throw it in neutral or hit the throttle.
I pulled mine back out last night and pulled the top back off and dont see anything wrong with it so I dont know what to do with the dang thing

Old 03-05-2015, 12:39 AM
Jeeper1974
New User
Originally Posted by Clubwagon
Yep, its an M5OD. The forks can be replaced by just pulling the top cover and sliding out the shift rail. Pretty simple.

Worn forks are almost always the result of a driver that won't keep his hand off the shifter. If you rest your hand on the shifter between shifts you are wearing out the shift forks.

The other thing that can cause worn shift forks is a bad pilot bearing. If the pilot bearing is dragging then it requires more effort to shift (as additional pressure is required on the synchro ring to spin the gear up - and you therefore wear the synchro ring too) and that wears the fork. So while you have the transmission out to change the forks, inspect the clutch and pilot bearing. Replace as necessary.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT

I have a 1995, but I believe the same transmission. I had just pulled the trans to put in a new clutch. Once it was put back in, there's a weird vibration between 2300RPM and 3400RPM. Then the truck wouldn't shift into first or second, so I replaced the 1/2 shift fork. It was worn significantly. Now, 2000 miles later, once I stop, it's difficult to shift into first or second again. How do I know if the synchro is worn out?

Old 03-05-2015, 02:53 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Feel free to start a new thread for such questions. No harm tacking on to an old thread, but it may limit responses.

If a synchro is worn out you may get grinding, as it will no longer "synchronize" the gears. If it is just hard to engage, there may be too much torque for the synchro to overcome, especially at a stop.

What oil did you use in the trans? These Mazda tranmissions use ATF. Gear oil will give you these problems.

Your pilot bearing--replaced? Throwout bearing--identical to the OEM item? Clutch bled properly? Clutch master and mount checked for leaks and solid mounting? (cracks in the firewall were common in '80s trucks, and possible in others. Make sure the master is not moving around) Hoses not bulged? Pedal and linkages ok?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:38 PM
Jeeper1974
New User
I used ford ATF. New throwout bearing; that was the main reason for doing the clutch, the bearing started leaking really bad and I was told that when the clutch gets soaked in brake fluid, it should really be replaced since the trans is out anyways. I checked the hoses since they were fit hoses, no cracks or leaks. The master cylinder doesn't lose any fluid. I bled the system. I checked the pedal and the different linkages that are under the dash and everything seems to be moving smoothly and correctly. I noticed that when the trans gets warm, is when my shifting problem occurs. And not sure if it's related, but if I'm in gear, hold the clutch, hit a bump, there is a knocking in the trans and I can feel it in the shifter. Is it possible that either a motor mount, or trans mount is bad causing the trans to move in ways it shouldn't to be hard to shift?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:55 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Possible and worth checking. Also, pilot bearing?

Old 03-06-2015, 12:02 AM
Jeeper1974
New User
Pilot bearing as well when the trans was out. I was told possibly that the new clutch wasn't balanced from the manufacturer.

Which brand ATF should I use, or is it personal preference?

I'm new to Fords, drove Dodges and Jeeps.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Chris.Short
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jeeper1974
Pilot bearing as well when the trans was out. I was told possibly that the new clutch wasn't balanced from the manufacturer.

Which brand ATF should I use, or is it personal preference?

I'm new to Fords, drove Dodges and Jeeps.
Any fix? This is what mine has started doing. Sort of...

Old 11-06-2016, 11:31 PM
John Patton
New User
Originally Posted by MustangGT221
Moved to appropriate forum per our "Read First!" annoucement at the top of the 87-96 forum...

It's definitely an M5R2 (aka M5OD).

It's not uncommon for the shift fork to go out, if the tranny was working fine previously to that failure...I'd simply replace the worn parts and flush the tranny with fluid. Fill it up and run it, if it works fine then off ya go. If you still have problems than something else is wrong.

Then I'd change it within 50 miles and leave it as long as there are no other symptoms.

I'm meticulous about any metal debris that could be in the tranny from the shift fork so I personally would fluid the fluid and make sure it's clean.
So worn shift-forks, would be the main problem ?

Old 12-31-2020, 09:18 AM
Moustaki
New User
Smile Ford F150 1995 Suoercab XLT

I have just bought a 1995 F150 XLT Supercab - Vin# 1FTEX14NXSKA32605.
The stick shift on the floor is like stirring a bowl of not so thick soup! However, apart from being really sloppy, the stick changes gear with no problem.
I have been searching the internet to find a kit for the gear lever mechanism in the top housing so that I can take out the sloppiness.
I tried the local Ford dealer and they do not have that kit. I then tried a bunch of parts places and they say they don't have a listing for the kit.
Please can somebody point me in the right direction as to where I can buy this kit.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: F150 Transmission 5 speed OD 1995