N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Good Repair shops in the North State

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 09:11 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Repair shops in the North State

Ok so a while back I asked if anyone knew of a good alignment shop that still did I beams I don't remember if anyone could help but I believe it was a not.

I found a guy that does and outstanding job and is very reasonable on price. He even adjusted the camber. His price was $45.50 compaired the the 75 I spent on my last car and Big O..

The guy is in Turlock and the name of the shop is Pauls brake and alignment. I have his card at work if anyone needs it let me know.

85 mph down the freeway and smooth as silk no wonder no pull just straight.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:51 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
RE: Good Alignment shop

I have asked admin to make JD's post on the good alignment shop into a sticky - that way we can start a list of quality places that give good service.

Please don't answer JD's post - start another thread is you wish. The only things I want posted here are shops you recommend. We don't want a lot of chit-chat on this thread .

Last edited by TigerDan; 09-19-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:36 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Thumbs up Frame and Wheel alignment - Fresno

I had a 1 ton and a F250 to Chick's Frame and Wheel Service (off Jenson, in Fresno) and was very pleased with the results. The 1 ton needed to have the frame straightened, and both it and the F250 needed an alignment.

They work on all size trucks, including 18 wheelers, so they have the tools to do the job. They had Ford's special tool for bending the beams of an I-Beam suspension.

They were not the cheapest, but did quality work at a reasonable cost.

Last edited by WillyB; 09-20-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:28 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Spring, Kingpin, and Brake -- Fresno

There is a pair of brothers - the Eberwein Boys - in the tower district of Fresno. One runs a spring shop and the other a brake shop, and then together (I think) they run a general repair shop. (1559 Broadway and 1821 Calaveras, a few doors apart.)

The spring shop brother helped me finish rebuilding the springs on my 59, supplying the parts that LMC didn't send or the ones they sent that were wrong. His price on the parts was half of what LMC charged me. I wish I had had him do the entire job. He had the tools and supplies to make up almost any spring pack you would want - including reverse eyes.

He took me over to his brothers and showed me the punch and reamer machine they had for doing kingpins (I had already done mine by hand). He told me that if someone brought the axle in they would replace the king pins for a reasonable cost.

There were two restored 1920's Nash touring cars they let me drool over, a 54 Corvette parked in the drive and a couple of 40's Dodge pickups in their storage area. The third time I was there one brother took the tarp off and showed me an un-restored 40s Ford Woody - but you have to know them to be able to see it. They both are older than the hills, and the sign claims they have been in business at that location since 1952.

Reasonable price, high quality work by people who were around when our trucks were new - what more could you want?

Last edited by WillyB; 09-20-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:50 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Here in beautiful downtown Lakeport there is an excellent tire shop called Carlton Tire. Gary, the owner, will practically bend over backwards to help you out, and is always friendly and cheerful. We bought tires for the backhoe from him several months back and he went above and beyond to them mounted up for us in a pinch, and gave us a darn good price on them too. He gets all my tire business now, both business and personal.

Last edited by TigerDan; 11-26-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:13 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Machine shops...Fowlers is a good one, at fair pricing...I don't believe they do engines, but if you need something made, they still do one-offs without a bunch of layout pricing. I think they've moved into Turlock.

Engine shops...Cal's in Oakdale, run by some old buddies of mine. All old equipment, but they do a smack down job. Anything from a 2cyl Wisconson, to putting in inserts in Model A engines. i don't think they do Babbit bearing though.

Reddick brothers...the above owners of Cal, use to wrk at reddick brothers. Reddick Brothers is a long withstanding engines shop, dating bacl to the '60's or early 70's. theyre in Modesto.

Oakdale Auto Parts (NAPA), as I know, now 2nd generation business, I want to schoool with the now owner, his dad and mine were friends as well.

They have some young guys there, but they still know how to look through a book to find your parts.

For belting, orings, rubber neeeds, try Delta Rubber in Modesto, old run business, if they don't have it, they can make it.

IN Escalon, for all Farm equipment needs, use Farmers Blacksmith...it's a big shop, full of stuff you wouldn't beilive.

For Indusrial stuff, just things you need and don't know where to find it, try Processors in Modesto, be amazed at what they have and can get.

Another tractor place in Manteca, Discount Tractor, cane get parts about 10-20% below Dealer cost. Ask for Dennis, he's the right guy to talk to.

I'm sure I'll come up with more, but those are my main places I hit when "in the hunt" for stuff around here.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:20 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Bay area - there is a reputable mechanic in San Mateo by the name of Hillsdale Auto Care. They are on the corner of Hillsdale and Saratoga right off the 101. One time I took my old truck in there because the throwout bearing was making noise, and he said not to worry about it until it got a lot worse - when I was prepared to have him put a clutch in it.

Also, with regards to alignments, we all know how TTB and twin I-beam Fords like to stay aligned so I take mine to Firestone, where I've already bought a lifetime alignment for $180. They will align it as many times as I want for free. At $75 a pop, it's already paid for itself.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:56 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
I have two really great shops in my neighborhood. I'm blessed, I guess. I can't prioritize them, because they have both been stand up guys and have done excellent work. How do I choose which is first on the list? Alphabetically, I guess.

Duncan's Automotive - just north of the intersection of Old Auburn and Auburn Blvd, Citrus Heights, CA. (7366 Auburn Blvd)

Pastors Auto Care - Intersection of Sunrise and Old Auburn, Citrus Heights, CA. Good folks and great work. (7920 Old Auburn Rd)

Either one will not disappoint you.

Chet

Old 05-16-2007, 01:40 PM
mustanginca
Senior User
dentoni's in stockton does does just about everything except for transmission. Lifts the usual 4x4 stuff. They fixed my driveshaft great job and very honest.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Dogz-n-Rodz
Junior User
If ever in Yuba or Sutter county There is a shop in Yuba City off of garden Hwy called C&M Owned and opt by a few Latinos who know their stuff. Price could not be better and they have a guy for every Depo. They are good, most of their guys come from Dealer shops.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 AM
big Red_25
Junior User
If anybody needs a good engine machine shop in the Monterey bay area, check out Skips Auto. They have a cupple of old machinests in the back by the name of Lee and Dave. Together, they have over 80 years of exp. They are located in Seaside right next to the Embassy Suites off of highway 1, they have done countless numbers of engines for a lot of people and shops and they get it done at a great price.
___________Kevin

Old 10-21-2007, 09:12 AM
mrcman58
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking front end work

years back i went to Ray Starn over in modesto, ca they did good work but i havent been there in a long long time.

Jess.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:25 AM
79shovelhead
Senior User
Is Leroys alignment still around in hilmar? He use to do all my frontend work but I havent lived there for 7 years. He was good with the older trucks.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:11 PM
gusso
Elder User
Anyone wanting top quality welding (any type) at a fair price in
the Sacramento area I highly recommend Bill Perparos, owner of
A1 welding, 4730 Myrtle Ave, Suite D, Sacramento. 916-349-8700
At present he is really busy but really likes the hot rod scene and makes every effort to be accommodating. He`s one of us.
He has done work for me and I`m really satisfied.

Gary

Old 02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
bigearl1369
Senior User
Exhaust

Digols Gas And Muffler Here in North Highlands On Watt Ave Great work and prices on Exhaust Work Custom And Repair. If Your In The Sacramento Area And Need Exhaust work done give'em a try ask for Isaiah good guy!
Thanks Earl W.
bigearl1369

Last edited by bigearl1369; 02-01-2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: reference

Quick Reply: Good Repair shops in the North State