Towing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Drag_N_Fly_One
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing.

well here goes... I'm looking to buy a 22,000lbs 5th wheel. I think that's the largest you can get for a 1 ton. No? anyway, I also want the goose neck attachment. I already have a reciever ball hitch, and electric brake control (though I want a better one). I have to be totally flexable so that no matter what the trailer is I can haul it.

Can anyone suggest where to get one...I'm just like anyone else I want the best for the lowest price I can find ;-)

Thnks

Old 09-17-2006, 10:54 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

What are you looking for? The truck, the trailer. Not sure what you exactly want.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:02 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by mlb4966
What are you looking for? The truck, the trailer. Not sure what you exactly want.
I second this statement. Please elaborate on what you have and what your plans are.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:09 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Boy 22,000 sounds like alot of truck for a F350. My 06 is rated at 23,500 SW. Dually with tow boss and 4.88 rear is, a swag, 25,000-26,000. 22,000 5ther leaves you only 3,000-4,000 for the weight of the truck and fuel. These SD weigh alot more than that. I think the 22,000 listed as the GCVW is more realistic for a F350.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:16 PM
rclarke
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A gooseneck adapter on a 5th wheel trailer will void the trailer warranty on nearly all brands of 5th wheels.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:55 PM
DT 466Man
Posting Guru
you'll need an F450/550.......Minimum.

i would look for a nice used IH crew cab with atleast 250horse DT466/530/570. and 7 or 10spd and some highway gears. not a 5 main 2spd axle. good for farm and construction, slow on the highway.

put a nice hauler bed on it, and put a gooseneck and a 5thwheel on it

and i still think you'd come out at about the same price as a new F550 speced the same..........ofcourse i am talking used IH's.

but you'll need atleast a 4/550 if not a class 6 truck.

DT

Old 09-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Drag_N_Fly_One
Junior User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I second this statement. Please elaborate on what you have and what your plans are.
Check my sig... that's what I have currently... with a reciever/ball hitch. My intentions are to lease my truck to a company that hauls new trailers (of all types) from the manufacturer to the dealerships. They require that you have all three types of hitches... 5th wheel, gooseneck, and ball hitch.
While shopping at my local camper dealear they said they have 5th wheels rated up to 22,000 lbs. I don't know if that's the largest one for one tons or not.
They also said that they can include (extra price) a gooseneck attachment for the 5th wheel. I guess some come as a kit so u can haul both types of trailers.

I might also go the hot shot route and get a 48' x 102" drop deck trailer. My thinking is that I want to get the heaviest hitch possible, so that no matter what kind of load I come across I'll be able to haul it legal like.

Sorry I was unclear about my needs/intentions. Hope this clarifies.
thnx

Old 09-19-2006, 11:57 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Ok so what you need to do is this:

A) Find the rating of your truck. Look for the GVW and GCWR.
B)Once you have these two values then go and weight the truck in question with all the goodies.
C)Subtract that weight from your GVW and that will give you the weight that can be placed in the rear of your truck, ie on the gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch. You can go a lot heaiver with those two than a bumper pull.
D) Now you also need to subtract that truck weight from the GCVW to give you your max towing with trailer and truck.

Example: I have an 06 F350
A) Rated GVW 11,500 and GCVW 23,500
B) Weight of my truck is 8350
C) 11,500 minus 8350 = 3150 that I can in theory place on the hitch of my truck
D) 23,500 - 8350 = 15,150. This is the max weight of the trailer in question that I could tow before my truck and trailer go over my rating.

Basically you need to do some math to see if an F350 is sufficient or if you need to bump up to an F450 or higher. Hope this helps.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:22 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Umm - -ya if you are hauling commercialy, IE pulling trailers for money or leasing out your truck for money then you wil not be able to do what you want to do with your existing truck - At least legaly.

There is no way that your F350 has a high enough GCWR to haul a 22,000 lb trailer. First scale you come that is paying attention will mean that you wil be parking the truck / trailer until such time as it is made manifestly safe to contimue.

It has already been shown that if you have a GCWR of say 23,500 lbs, then you can legaly haul only about 15,000 lbs or so. Now if you are the average NON COMMERCIAL RV driver, you won't most likely be stopped for a overloaded condition (at least in WA state). However a commercial truck will be and you will eventually run into trouble.

David

Old 09-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe, like the others who responded, that you are expecting too much from your truck. I have a truck just like yours. The owner's manual doesn't list a GCWR for this combination in 1995. If anyone has an actual GCWR for a 1995 F350, Powerstroke, 5spd, crew cab, DRW, 4:10 rear axle, 2wd, please let me know.

Asking for advice from other forum members, they said that it would most likely be rated at 20,000 GCWR. The truck itself goes about 7000# over the scale, full of fuel. It has a few mods that could account for 250# of that. 20,000# - 7,000# leaves you with a load towing ability of 13,000# assuming that you aren't carrying a bunch of other stuff in your truck.

Newer one tons are rated higher, but even with one of those you would probably be over the limit.

Keep in mind that if these are empty camping trailers that you are towing, the numbers that you mentioned are probably the trailer's gross weight rating, not it's actual weight on the scales, which would be lighter.

You can pull FEMA trailers all day long with your truck as is.

Gene

Old 09-21-2006, 05:10 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
You can get a Reese 5th wheel hitch any weight you want and get a gooseneck that will fit the rails that the 5th wheel hitch uses. 4 pins is all that holds either hitch to the bed rails. No brainer. Any place that sells hitches will be able to help you out.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:20 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dmanlyr
Umm - -ya if you are hauling commercialy, IE pulling trailers for money or leasing out your truck for money then you wil not be able to do what you want to do with your existing truck - At least legaly.

There is no way that your F350 has a high enough GCWR to haul a 22,000 lb trailer. First scale you come that is paying attention will mean that you wil be parking the truck / trailer until such time as it is made manifestly safe to contimue.

It has already been shown that if you have a GCWR of say 23,500 lbs, then you can legaly haul only about 15,000 lbs or so. Now if you are the average NON COMMERCIAL RV driver, you won't most likely be stopped for a overloaded condition (at least in WA state). However a commercial truck will be and you will eventually run into trouble.

David
To be legal all you need is the correct plates . DOT doesn't care what the GCWR is . All they care about if you have the correct plates to haul whatever weight your hauling. You can have 20k trailer plates and haul 20k .If the trailer is rated to carry that weight. Now thats to be legal but to be safe is a differnt story.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:12 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
You're only partially correct, Matt. Johnny Law may not care about GCWR, but they will say something about GVWR and GAWR, that's why there are portable scales in some of their trunks. Hauling 22K with an F350 is going to be flirting with exceeding one or both of those.

Jason

Old 09-21-2006, 06:47 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
firesouolmatt - You have not read my entire post. Please note that i am indeed correct in reguards to COMMERCIAL VEHICALS. I am also correct in reguards to PRIVATE VEHICALS. Note that the recreational vehical laws I am talking about apply only to WA state, the commercial vehical laws apply to all states. (Under the uniform commercial vehical laws)

If you are stopped for a COMMERCIAL vehical inspection at your local state DMV scale and inspected, you wil be stopped and parked if your have exceeded your tow vehical's GCWR - REGUARDLESS of what you are licensed for. COMMERCAIL vehical enforcement is much more strick and they will even check individual axles for having the capacity to carry the load.

I also stated that if towing privatly then you can license your rig for whatever you want, and no one pays attention -

Please note that "COMMERCIAL" is highlighted. It makes all the difference in the world and I thought that I had made that clear on my earlier post. If hauling for someone else (common carrier) or leasing out the truck to a company (commecial use) then for sure this would fall under the commercial vehical rules and inspections.

David

Old 09-22-2006, 09:44 AM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dmanlyr
firesouolmatt - You have not read my entire post. Please note that i am indeed correct in reguards to COMMERCIAL VEHICALS. I am also correct in reguards to PRIVATE VEHICALS. Note that the recreational vehical laws I am talking about apply only to WA state, the commercial vehical laws apply to all states. (Under the uniform commercial vehical laws)

If you are stopped for a COMMERCIAL vehical inspection at your local state DMV scale and inspected, you wil be stopped and parked if your have exceeded your tow vehical's GCWR - REGUARDLESS of what you are licensed for. COMMERCAIL vehical enforcement is much more strick and they will even check individual axles for having the capacity to carry the load.

I also stated that if towing privatly then you can license your rig for whatever you want, and no one pays attention -

Please note that "COMMERCIAL" is highlighted. It makes all the difference in the world and I thought that I had made that clear on my earlier post. If hauling for someone else (common carrier) or leasing out the truck to a company (commecial use) then for sure this would fall under the commercial vehical rules and inspections.

David
All I can speak for is Indiana thats the only scales I've been stoped at. Yes commercial vechical is what I'm talking about. You have to have a CDL and the correct plates for the weight you are hauling. They weight each wheel,axle and total weight and all you need is the correct plates for that weight. The ICC number must be displayed on both sides of the truck and be inspected each year. I can buy 20k plates for my truck and haul that much if I want .

Quick Reply: Towing.