Oil & Lubrication  

Hy-per Lube oil supplement-user experiences or comments

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 10:28 AM
customstringer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hy-per Lube oil supplement-user experiences or comments

Generally I am not a fan of oil or gas additives/supplements as my view is gasoline already has what it needs in it and the same for oil. Frequent oil changes obviously help preserve and protect your engine. One exception I do believe is beneficial is fuel injector cleaner.

However I am curious if anyone in the forum has had experience with Hy-per Lube oil supplement. It is sold at most auto supply stores and you basically add it at a 20% ratio, i.e. with your typical 5 quart capacity crankcase you put in 4 quarts oil and subsitute the fifth quart of oil with the quart of Hy-per lube.

Mainly interested in it because the manufacture claims benefits on cold starting, greater protection and more lubrication. My Ranger sits outside. Supposedly also beneficial for higher mileage engines.

Any comments appreciated-is it Hy-per Lube or Hype? For those wanting to know more their website is www.hyperlube.com

Old 09-12-2006, 08:38 AM
customstringer
Elder User
Per the outlined procedure I am doing this quick reply to move this post to the top in the chance that anyone with experience with this product will see the post and respond.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:28 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
I've not used, or know anyone that has, or even heard of this product, in my area.

IMO methinks you likely got the "hype" part right.

Ask ourselves, if it's so good why doesn't it come installed from the factory & Ford specify it's use in our rides?????

What causes us to wonder about, or doubt, that our lube manufacturer, was so dumb, or cheap, that he has omitted the very additive we believe we need, to address our lubrication concerns, that we'd consider adding a unknown "chemical cocktail" to our vehicles lube sumps & expect to know whats going on in there!!!!?????

What causes us to doubt our lube manufacturer, that has multi-milion dollar facilities, dedicated to the art & science of lubrication & staffed by professionals, that spend their entire carriers, working on the science of lubrication & the testing of & qualifing, of carefully balanced lubes & add pack recieps, to stingent test specifications!!!!

Then guarantee their formulation is stable & will work as advertised, to the vehicle manufacturers specifications!!!!!

If any lube doesn't say it meets. or exceeds, the vehicle manufacturers lubrication specification requirements, leave it on the store shelf imo!!!!

Old 09-13-2006, 09:44 AM
customstringer
Elder User
Thanks for the response. Appears several have viewed the post but no one else responded, that also seems to suggest little familiarity with the product.

I'm hesitant to substitute one quart of anything in the crankcase where the vehicle manufacturer says you need five quarts of oil. That is a whole lot different than adding a small amount of some off the counter additive in addition to the proper amount of oil but even then, as you say, alot of R and D is already in those quarts of oil waiting to be bought at the store. My biggest concern is protection during cold weather starting but with the advent of 5W30 there is an additional measure of protection. Combine that with timely changes and I think things will be fine. Now if there were only a magic way to pre-fill the filter, get it sideways and installed without spilling a drop. . .

Old 09-13-2006, 11:12 AM
pawpaw
Well my Ragers filter is mounted inverted, so I can completely fill & mount it.

My 94 Taurus 3.8L filter is slanted on about a 45 degree angle, so I can't completely fill it, but no problem, I partially fill the filter, disable the fuel pump, by pulling it's fuse, or disconnecting the inertia switch so the engine won't start, then crank the engine to finish filling the oil filter, burp the system & build oil pressure untill the light goes out, or your oil gauge shows some pressure.

Then enable the fuel pump, start her up & check for leaks. No dry start, or fuel wash down of the cylinders this way.

My vehicles sit outside 24/7, I've used the specified 5W-30, lube since 94 & have never had a cold weather starting problem, or knocking engine, from slow lube flow & the 94 Taurus doesn't use any oil between 4-5K OCI's.

Our lubes have a built in, last resort barrier lube additive, in the add pack, that is for this kind of situation, so unless your in a very cold area & the vehicle sits out side for days, without being started, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If your loosing sleep over this, use synthetic lubes, as their claim to fame is fast flow at cold temps & a better add pack. But with the newer higher purity minerial oils, I doubt the synthetics are now THAT much better in most of the lower 48 states.

A lube with molly, like Havoline, ect, are good bets for our situation & I've used Havoline products for more than half a century now!!!!!

IMO, your wise to be cautious about pouring in unknown chemical cocktails.

As our lubes already contain carfully BLENDED, BALANCED & STABLE add packs, the addition of more of the same, or a different type, or different chemistry additive, may upset that blended balance & do who knows what.

Seems to me, though well meaning & wanting to do something special for our rides, when we don't know just where the balance point is for our lube & we danged sure don't know about whats in the aftermarket brew, or in what form or quantity, we're messing with fate, to just mindlessly dump in anything & expect the best!!!!

Seems to me the best we could hope for, is to do no harm!!!! lol

As I've posted before, our lubes have a blended, balanced, synergistic add pack, in which the different additives work together, such that the sum total, is greater than the sum of the individuals.

Some addtives won't work together, others only in certain concentrations, others won't mix well, or at all, with each other, or with some types of synthetic fluids & would percipitate out, or react in unwanted ways, if we just dumped them in ***** nilly, or some require carrier oils to put & keep them in suspension & those oils have a saturation point & can't hold unlimited quntities of additives, without having them precipitate out or react in unwanted ways & cause who knows what kinds of mischief.

SO imo, just leave the unspecified aftermarket additives on the shelf & use a premium brand name lubricant, that states in writing, on it's container, that it meets, or exceds, the vehicle manufacturers lubricant specifications.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:27 PM
customstringer
Elder User
Thanks for the detailed info. On the 2.3 4 cyl the filter is mounted perfectly horizontal and its an arm's reach even from the bottom so it makes it fun to install. I may try your fuel pump trick. I won't lose any sleep over the additive issue. In fact I think I'll be sneaking out of the office in a little bit as I've got some new front shocks sitting at home to go on this truck and I think I'll tackle that. Been soaking the fasteners daily with penetrant, and if I can't get them loose, then I'll lose some sleep [lol]. Thanks again.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:46 PM
rboeding
Senior User
It seems to me that if there was some sorta additive that it would be avaliable to all the oil Mfgs. It also seems to me that a company like Castor Oil or Exxon or you pick the large oil company could easily purchase this company. It also seems to me that if this stuff actually worked as well as described that one of the big oil companies would have a special version and charge like $10 per qt for the oil and everyone would be putting it in their turcks - Rotella? - I think you are better served by using a good high quality oil and changes and using the extra money to shorten the oil change interval. Just my Jaded opinion.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:14 PM
customstringer
Elder User
I don't think it is a jaded opinion at all. After thinking about it I think the best thing is to stick with a good quality oil and frequent changes. I wish I could convey the same confidence in regard to the shock absorber change. Unfortunately the stud broke on the lower radius arm because of how rusted it was so I'm due for a bigger job and fix. Thanks for the post.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Alaska Josh
New User
Question Hy-per Lube Experiment

Whats up everybody? It just so happens my truck is do for an oil change so I'm going to take the pepsi challenge with this hyper lube stuff.

Here are some pertinent details to this "quasi-scientific" experiment:
1. Truck: 1998 f-250 4x4
2. Power Plant: 4.6 Triton
3. Mileage: 118546
4. Location: Anchorage, AK
5. Driving Conditions: Mix city/hwy mostly city

A few other factors truck stays outside in driveway w/ incline, most of the oil sits at the back of the pan and the engine probably starts "Dry" i do a hear a light whine before the engine gets warm and the pump has sent oil through out.
Also, its spring time here, temps staying in the 40's F, overnight lows in the 30's.

The Plan: Add engine oil flush (motor medic brand, bought from o'reillys).
Drain oil, refill w/ chevron supreme 5w-30 non-synthetic and add the hyperlube oil supplement.

Concerns: A.) Doing the engine flush may improve driving conditions to which I may falsely contribute to hyper lube. B.) hy-per lube says to replace 1 qt. of oil with it, i'm slightly nervous about depriving my engine of a quart of oil.

Oh Well, here goes nothing, I'll post up some short term results later.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:16 PM
pawpaw
Welcome to FTE.

Its your vehicle, so you can pour in whatever you like, But you have to warranty your work!!!! lol

Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 PM
pawpaw
If your engine has sludge, why attempt to remove it all at once with the engine flush & risk clogging something up, or other mischief????

The Chevron motor oil your planning on using is fully formulated & doesn't require any aftermarket treatment to do its thing.

Which Hyper-Lube product are you planning on adding, the red cap oil thickener, or the zinc supplement????

Since you seem to be concerned about start-up lubing of the engine, I'm not clear why would you choose to use an oil thickener?????
Where you live, the oil thickener isn't likely needed & it doesn't have any listed anti-wear additives, so the remaining oil it displaces will, will have its ad-pack diluted by adding this product & its viscosity increased, exactly what you don't need, or want to do????

If your thinking of adding the zinc booster, be sure to contact the company about how much to add, so you don't over treat & cause other mischief, like deposits, or over saturating the remaining oil & have something precipitate out & cause other mischief.

If your engine is burning oil, the after treatment system won't appreciate having to process the oil with extra zinc in it & neither will the combustion chamber!!!!

More thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Alaska Josh
New User
Hy-per Lube Experiment

Ok, so I did my oil change yesterday with the engine flush and the hy-per lube red cap and the results are......................nothing signifigant really.

I did notice that the truck started more smoothly this morning and the engine was a little more quiet and smooth during driving. I did not notice any gain in performance.

I think maybe i should have done the experiment a little differently as with the flush, fresh oil and red cap additive theres no way to pin point which if any was beneficial. I would the oil change itself is the winner. Sooooo regular changes with a decent oil are the best way to go (IMO).

Why did i do the flush? At almost 119k miles i thought it might be worth a try.
What was i hoping to gain? nothing really, i am currently unemployed, bored and will probably only have this truck for about another year so i figured i got nothing to lose. Why not have a little fun and try something.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Alaska Josh
New User
hy-per Lube Experiment

P.S. this is my 4th Ford and i am definitely sticking with the brand (next truck will be a Ford too) i have owned other brands, i just like Fords the most.

The hyper lube red cap is thick as hell, poured like honey only more sticky (and slick at the same time), A question was asked "why i would want to thicken my oil?". The idea, supposedly, is that this stuff clings to the internals to reduce start up wear. At least thats what hyperlube is claiming, also reduce friction, run cooler, yada yada yada.

I may try some other things in the future since as i said my plan/goal is to get a newer used F-250 in the near future, if anyone is curious about a product and they dont want to pour it into their engine, shout it out and i may try it. Understand of course that i do like my truck and i am not trying to kill it, just thought it would be interesting to see if any of this stuff works or if its all snake oil.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM
pawpaw
A link to a thread on BITOG discussing red cap Hy-per lube. Scroll down & note the comments a lubricant formulator Molakule had about what it has, or doesn't have in it.
hy-per lube with red cap - Bob Is The Oil Guy

EDIT: Here is another BITOG link where they provide a MSDS link & discuss the thickeners in the product, that you might find interesting.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1798894&page=1

Old 05-02-2013, 02:05 AM
Alaska Josh
New User
hy-per Lube Experiment

Hey Paw,
Its funny what a small world the internet is. I actually read both of those articles yesterday before i did my oil change. Yes, they are both interesting reports on the product. I'm sure that there isn't any solid proof that hyperlube or any other product can improve on what todays motor oils are doing for your engine. However, i figured what what the hell? Lets live a little.
I read some about hyperlube and how it was created, roughly 50 years ago and it proposed benefits. I would argue that 50 years ago motor oils probably could have used a product like hyperlube, engines as well have made great leaps and bounds in overall build quality and reliability in all aspects (metals, tolerances, seals, etc.) In the end i think the current oils are more than capable of providing all the pretection an engine needs so hyperlube and the rest are probably a waste of money.
I am curious about amsoils claimed 25000 mile oil though...

Quick Reply: Hy-per Lube oil supplement-user experiences or comments