Ford in Trouble, -Any Ideas?

Old 09-04-2006, 03:42 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Ford in Trouble, -Any Ideas?

Ford seems to realize they are in real trouble:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14656780/

It is just my opinion but I don't think the standard corporate boardroom "knee-jerk" remedies of closing plants, layoffs, and the following will be enuf:

From the article- Mr Ford said in his memo: "We must change to a new business model" through a bigger contribution to profits from passenger cars and crossover vehicles; continued leadership in north American pick-up trucks; healthier profits from all other business units; growth in Asia; greater integration of global operations; and "an evaluation of strategic alliances".
In my opinion Ford needs to take care of their customers, -form that "strategic alliance" with their customers! Ford needs to change their "corporate culture" of continuing design defects in order to deny they exist and avoid recalls. We see the same defects and their results here time after time and have for many years. I have seen them for over 20 years. Continuing to produce defective designs, even those old "better ideas" that aren't, hurts customer confidence. Customers are number one, -without them there is no need for directors, executives, or managers. Without customers to buy products there are no employees, factories, profits, or any need for a company. Take care of your customers and they will take care of you.

Fix all defects in existing customer vehicles no matter what the cost, stop the production of defective designs, and make the best vehicles humanly possible. Not taking care of existing customers will never lead to an increased market share.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:38 AM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are like the government, they need to clean house and get better leadership and better quality control. Get some people to design without problems like the 6.0. I use my trucks for work. GM seems to have a lot more trucks available with the right body styles for work than Ford does. But I won't drive GM. Recalls and ignoring defects drive people to the competion.

When something goes wrong in business, it is not a matter of just trying the same old things harder. Things have to be changed to get a different result.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:41 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"Fix all defects in existing customer vehicles no matter what the cost, stop the production of defective designs, and make the best vehicles humanly possible. Not taking care of existing customers will never lead to an increased market share."
Dead right. A happy customer is the best salesman.
I drive both Ford and Chevy trucks (brand loyalty is bootlicking the ungrateful as far as I'm concerned) and am not impressed with either company due to their recent lack of concern for quality.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:57 PM
lascrew
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted this on another Forum site, so I thought that I'd post it here.

I think Ford should reinvent itself by directly marketing us!<o></o>

Show how a Ford is taken and customized by us enthusiast.
A commercial with the F100, jumping to early Lighnings, then the old style F150's/250's/SuperDutys'/Expys to the new body style of the same; with in between clips between each body style with everyday folks customizing their vehicles.<o></o>

Promote how we make Ford not just a vehicle, but a lifestyle. Someone could see one of our vehicles, even with a few mods, and that can drive somebody to say "hey, I want to do that."<o></o>

...with a Ford.<o></o>

I had an Explorer before my truck, but I'll tell ya...I saw an F150 customized and that definitely helped inspire my purchase.<o></o>

They need to chill with all the celebrities, singing and BS and reflect (if it is true) that they truly value the customer...how they are entwined in this country and are sincere advocate for the enthusiasts that they benefit from.

Seeing somebody From American Idol dance & sing is not doin' it for me.
<o></o>

IMO.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:36 PM
brandon_wyer
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toby Keith is one thing, but a grey haired 29 year old contest winner is just wrong.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:39 PM
lascrew
Freshman User
^^^^LOL
Yep.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Ford has some great, unique, and rather powerful vehicles in their lineup already, the only problem is they don't have them in their home market, and because of this, the US is their poorest-performing market. I do realize that most of the great overseas cars they have are set up for right hand drive, especially the Aussie models, and it would take time to rework these to fit in a left hand drive platform, but if they would have actually started this process two or three years ago when GM started working on the GTO, they would be selling these cars here now.
Three vehicles that would be huge sellers here:
The Falcon Ute
The Territory (especially the turbo straight six version)
The Fairlaine
These are vehicles that are already in the Ford stable, and would take very little to be adapted and certified for US markets. The Fairlane would be a direct competitor for the Camry and Accord, and could be offered in several levels from a comfortable family cruiser to a true high performance sleeper. Keep the 4.0 inline six, that engine is incredibly torquey and smooth, maybe have a v8 option.
The Territory is a direct competitor with the Kia Sorento, almost the same size, but with more power, better features, and of course built by a US based company.
The Falcon Ute, could be called the Falcon Ranchero here to catch some of the nostalgia, this vehicle would probably have the largest market share of any mid-size/compact pickup. It's truck, you can haul stuff in it, pull a decent sized trailer, then take it to the track on the weekend and turn some respectable times. Again, with the 4.0 inline six, especially the turbocharged version, this thing would be an incredible performer and would be sure to keep Ford on top of the US truck market. But why do what makes sense, right?

Old 09-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Fordteamone
Senior User
Ford needs to get back in touch with the customers. I drive a lot in my job and have bought new 03 F150, 04 Mustang, 04 F150 and 05 Ranger XL. I am Ford loyal but question why at times. The ranger has been trouble free but the F150’s had issues that should have been solved prior to going to market. Any time I needed warranty issues Ford took the defensive side that there is nothing wrong with their product. If I did this in my trade we would loose customers fast. Ford should learn from their customers, using that knowledge to improve the next generation and stop telling them what they need.
My Explore problems were too many to list and started my wondering about new rigs.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
It also has to be kept in mind, though, that almost 100% of a customer's contact and dealings with Ford is through a dealership. Which means that it's the SMs and the Techs at the dealerships that really carry the burden of making a customer happy in a personal sense. Not an easy task when you take into account the things that Eric mentioned, such as the apparent corporate policy of ignoring design defects so as to avoid recalls. It's the SMs and Techs that are left to deal with the mess.

It's no secret that, generally speaking, the relationship between corporate Ford and the people who work at the dealerships is strained (for a variety of reasons, some of which go beyond the scope of this thread). Even the relationship between Techs and SMs at many dealerships leaves a lot to be desired; the Techs view their SMs as "aiders and abettors" to the whole thing.

The point is that, if a new "strategic alliance" is going to be forged between Ford and its customers, then that's going to mean changing the negative culture that currently exists within the company. The best way to do that, I agree, is to design and build better vehicles, and then stand behind them 100%. From I can see, Ford is indeed beginning to build better, more appealing vehicles these days. Whether it stands behind them remains to be seen.

Last edited by Rockledge; 09-05-2006 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:36 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry in advance for the all the rambling that im sure i'll be doing here.

Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Ford has some great, unique, and rather powerful vehicles in their lineup already, the only problem is they don't have them in their home market, and because of this, the US is their poorest-performing market. I do realize that most of the great overseas cars they have are set up for right hand drive, especially the Aussie models, and it would take time to rework these to fit in a left hand drive platform, but if they would have actually started this process two or three years ago when GM started working on the GTO, they would be selling these cars here now.
Three vehicles that would be huge sellers here:
The Falcon Ute
The Territory (especially the turbo straight six version)
The Fairlaine
These are vehicles that are already in the Ford stable, and would take very little to be adapted and certified for US markets. The Fairlane would be a direct competitor for the Camry and Accord, and could be offered in several levels from a comfortable family cruiser to a true high performance sleeper. Keep the 4.0 inline six, that engine is incredibly torquey and smooth, maybe have a v8 option.
The Territory is a direct competitor with the Kia Sorento, almost the same size, but with more power, better features, and of course built by a US based company.
The Falcon Ute, could be called the Falcon Ranchero here to catch some of the nostalgia, this vehicle would probably have the largest market share of any mid-size/compact pickup. It's truck, you can haul stuff in it, pull a decent sized trailer, then take it to the track on the weekend and turn some respectable times. Again, with the 4.0 inline six, especially the turbocharged version, this thing would be an incredible performer and would be sure to keep Ford on top of the US truck market. But why do what makes sense, right?

this does make sence instead of blowing so much money on bottom of the barrel junk, do what ya can with what ya got. dosn't europe have a diesel ranger and focus? how about continuing with the hurrican engine program, market it as a hemi killer, how about bringing back the lightning and the svt program. Do something like dodges srt program, offer a beffed up focus, a stripped down mustang with all the power goodies that dosnt cost 45,000 dollars, market some insanly powerfull family sedans and pickup trucks.

how about living up to the 250,000 mile advertisments by building a brand new truck that will last 25 years 250,000 miles. quit cutting corners by using cheap interior plastics and eliminating the sound deadning material under the carpet, ect ect. cut this eliminate that and then mark the price up 5 grand.

they need to understand that they will lose some money upfront by building a QUALITY vehicle and selling it for a fair price, but as was said before a happy customer is the best salesman, once word gets out i think they'd see many old ford loyalist coming back and many people who never bought a ford before jumping on board.

i spent 3 years working as a automotive detailer, i've driven my fair share of newer trucks, i experianced the squeaks and squalows of cheap plastic interior panels bouncing around, i've heard the tailgates clanking around becouse they dont fit right, i've sat on the cheap interior fabrics that have torn and become discolored after only 10,000 miles. it like they're designed to fall apart prematurly, so then they hope you'll come back and buy another one, not so much the case as many would be ford loyalist are mony on to japanese cars, that arnt as great as they once were by the way.

i like compairing new trucks to my 96 f150, sure its not as powerfull, but it runs so smooth, was wisper quite before the new exhaust was put on, the interior is cloth but its nice and durable 10 years old shows very little signs of aging, you can ride with the windows up and not hear wind noise.

i also like compairing all the "tough" new trucks to my 82, god knows how many new trucks have fallen during its 25 years and 220,000 miles of service, drive by any junkyard and you'll see more 1-10 years old trucks then 20-30 year old trucks. give the auto industry 25 years and you'll see more 50 year old trucks still in service then 25 year old trucks from the present.

ford has sold more fseries trucks then any other vehicle in history, and you dont stay on top by selling crap, as soon as they realize that then they'll change their ways. build the trucks the way they use to build trucks, tough, work ready, and not just a soccer mom mobile with a big trunk.

and of course bring back the 300 inline 6.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:48 PM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
This topic is already being done down in Ford vs. The Comp.

Let's get real for a moment.....

Old 09-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
That thread is a thread hijack of an existing thread.

This thread is on topic. It is not really FvC but only what does Ford need to do to survive and grow as a company.

Bill stepping down was probably not a good thing. Ford needs someone with a connection to the company running it. If they replace him with a bean counter hatchet man the company is finished. Those guys gut companies but they make things look good on the balance sheets for a while. Ford needs a change of spirit, not wiping out it's spirit. I say Ford needs a change of direction...

Last edited by Torque1st; 09-05-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Torque1st
Bill stepping down was probably not a good thing. Ford needs someone with a connection to the company running it. If they replace him with a bean counter hatchet man the company is finished. Those guys gut companies but they make things look good on the balance sheets for a while. Ford needs a change of spirit, not wiping out it's spirit.
Well put Eric, I am very much of the same opinion.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:01 AM
lascrew
Freshman User
I agree as well.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:07 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,579 Likes on 1,288 Posts
Call Toyota, arrange shipment and delivery of 100,000 Camrys without badges.

Call Acme Badge and Emblem; order 400,000 "Taurus" badges.....

Reintroduce the "All new Taurus, redesigned from the ground up......"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford in Trouble, -Any Ideas?