3.5"down pipe and other mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 10:10 PM
snagnever
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.5"down pipe and other mods

Hi all,
Since I've turned in my company car I'm back to driving my PSD every day.
I've searched all over this site and other concerning mods for additional HP (nothing wild) and MPG. But still can't find all the answers.

Here is what I'm thinking:
* DP -Tuner: up to the 80 HP econo tune.
* replace stock muffler (Walker BTM #21470), or other
* replace air intake: AIS or other
* addition of gauges, EGT, Boost and Tranny temp

I've got the ok (from wife who is the CFO) to do the mods now.
Just need to figure out which ones and where to buy.

Would a 4" exhaust system and 4" downpipe add anything other than a reduction to my bank account? Or should I just replace the stock muffler and 3.5" down pipe with aftermarket 3.5" down pipe. I've heard the stock down pipe is pretty bent up.

I never tow anything over 5,000 lbs, most of the time she's empty. I do have a fiberglass topper on the bed though.

My truck:
2001 F250 PSD, full size 4 door, 4X4, long bed, auto (12K miles on rebuild)motor is 100% stock @ 102K miles,

THANKS!

Old 08-29-2006, 11:18 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Swapping out the stock downpipe or doing a full 4" system will result in lowered EGTs. How much lower? Maybe not enough to be worth it, or necessary. Up to you.

Wouldn't hurt to try the BTM for now and if you have any EGT issues (doubt you will) then you can upgrade. Or just do the full system from the get-go.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Car_nut57
FTE *******
The 4" turbo back exhaust is worth doing with the tuner installed and the AIS is definately the way to go on the air intake. I also found that on my 2001, the blue CPS from international helped with my mileage and I carry my old black one for back up. You might also consider using a fuel additive, we heard a lot of complaints these days that the low sulfur fuels have reduced mileage.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Ford Truck Racer
Elder User
I have a 4inch system, but when I upgraded to the 3.5 downpipe, my egt's dropped about 25-50degrees and a little quicker spool up. I have the dp-tuner and love it. I also have the 6637 air intake and it think its well worth the money. Sounds like you are on the right track for mods.