1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Can You Get To Your Spare Tire????

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:59 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LMC Truck offers a device that makes possible the storing the spare tire in the truck bed like "Racsan" shows in the pictures above. I am considering mounting my spare in that manner myself. Its a sure way the make the spare and easier to get out and to check air pressure.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:00 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
heres how mine is mounted, i put the spare where i was wanting it mounted and marked the inside lip of the bedrail, i took a small (1/4") u-bolt and using my mounting mark used that as a centerline for it, drilled the 1/4" holes, used a dab of silicone to prevent rust when i slid the U-bolt on and tightened. found a J-bolt (its a 3/8" i think) and it hooks into the bed-mounted U-bolt, the stud goes through a lug hole in the spare. have a chunk of rubber cut from a old mudflap, a washer and finnally a nut to secure it all. would like to find or make a big 3/8" wing nut. i keep a old small cresent where the jack is stored so i can remove the tire if needed out on the road. the spare in the trailer is a simalar deal, but uses hardware from a g.m. car, a 1/4 j-bolt and big wing nut as well as the large washer with a 1/4" hole.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:28 PM
LittleRedRanger4.0
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i torched mine off to make room for a reese hitch and an air tank. i work on a huge dairy and crop farm.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:13 PM
97ranger xlt
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

time to revisit this thread

4 years of corrosion and rust seized the spare tire carrier solid ...again
amazingly the tire held air but it took 1/2 hr. a long pipe, and a bunch of wd-40 to get it loose....
it was the eye bolt that holds the wheel to the carrier that presented the most difficulty.
it was rusted badly.

all back in operating condition and this time used heavier grease on all moving parts...
hopefully that will help.

Last edited by 97ranger xlt; 04-08-2012 at 06:57 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Just finished dropping mine down for its annual check up. Tire needed airing up, which I do at the Max sidewall figure, as air is always leaking out.

My 99 has the cable/"T"bar suspension/carrier arrangement & I lubed the cable with Marine grease a few years back & its still on the cable & the cable is still rust free.

You folks in the rust belt, that have the frame type spare tire suspension/carrier system, check that puppy out before you need it some dark night out in the middle of nowhere & find it rusted in place, or the spare flat!!!!!

Old 06-26-2013, 01:42 PM
97ranger xlt
More Turbo
Exclamation oh no...

driving out to the airport the other day got the awful exhaust is dragging on the road scraping sound.. no ...the spare tire carrier dropped down. turned out the hinge holding the carrier up sheared clean off. problem is the pin inside the hinge (both sides) is solid frozen in there. tried to punch out .. wouldn't move. any bright ideas how to jury rig somehow to keep the carrier up?? i've got it wired in the up position to the frame now but it won't support the weight of the spare.. which is residing in the bed..

Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 PM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by 97ranger xlt
driving out to the airport the other day got the awful exhaust is dragging on the road scraping sound.. no ...the spare tire carrier dropped down. turned out the hinge holding the carrier up sheared clean off. problem is the pin inside the hinge (both sides) is solid frozen in there. tried to punch out .. wouldn't move. any bright ideas how to jury rig somehow to keep the carrier up?? i've got it wired in the up position to the frame now but it won't support the weight of the spare.. which is residing in the bed..
Might be time to visit the salvage yard, or maybe convert it over to the cable drop system, using salvage yard donor parts!!!! Good place to get a spare tire & wheel too, as the prices are usually right!!!!!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

I had a flat back in ... March?

Spare came down no problem.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:55 PM
97ranger xlt
More Turbo
time to check the spare

i have been driving the 'new to me' '02 ranger for a couple of months now. it was time to check the spare.
it has the cable system.
cranked down ok and found an unused goodyear wrangler, likely from the factory.. the cable still looked bright and shiny so i coated it with a good layer of grease, as well as the tbar/spring at the end . the steelie rim had some surface rust.. not too bad at all.
finally, cleaned up both sides of the tire and added air ( it only had 10psi in it ) , and wound it back up . needless to say, i'm glad i checked it...

Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 PM
bat123
New User
I am sitting here cringing after reading this thread, I have a 2011 Ranger, bought about 2 years ago and I realized I haven't checked the spare since it was bought. My real problem is that my truck is in Atlanta and I'm in Abu Dhabi. My son is at home and if it was a computer problem there isn't anyone I'd trust more but a mechanical issue is another thing all together. So I know my first task when I return in November....... Thanks guys!

Old 02-10-2016, 10:00 PM
pawpaw
Being its a 2011, it has the cable drop system, so it'll likely come down ok, IF you can find the hdw to fit the crank & the key, if you like me have a lock on that puppy!!! Worst case is that it'll likely need airing up after that many years. Would be interesting to hear what you find.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:06 AM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
I don't know what my brother was thinking, but he threw my rangers spare tire away (rim and all) after putting a new set of tires on the truck...

Doh

Old 02-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Nyquil Junkie
Cross-Country
Thank you for reminding me to drop my spare and mount it somewhere else. The last time I dropped it a few yrs ago I had to fight with it for an hour but I lubed it all up before I put it back. I hate the tire there.

We have an old toyota truck that has the same setup, it was rusted solid I had to wait until I removed the bed for some welding to cut the thing loose.

Not a design made for the rust belt.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:59 AM
97ranger xlt
More Turbo
well it's been 2 years since the initial inspection so time to do another check on the spare. pleasantly surprised tire held 35psi and the cable was in good shape from the previous greasing. rattle can generic ace hardware rustoleum works great on the steel rim! grease everything again and put it away for hopefully another 2 years...

Old 11-19-2017, 11:04 AM
dave1969
Freshman User
I have a different problem with spare. I had to drill out my lock because I didn't get the key with truck. 2000 Mazda so it has the cable setup. When I put the jack handle in it isn't long enough to put on the lug wrench to turn it ( it doesn't extend past the bumper/tailgate ). I had 4 identical handles in my toolbag - no extensions. What I do is put a screwdriver in the square of the handle and turn it with slip joint pliers. Should I have had an extension or a longer handle in case lock had to be removed? This is a real pain!

Quick Reply: Can You Get To Your Spare Tire????