GOSH ALMIGHTY! Rear Window Rubber Woes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GOSH ALMIGHTY! Rear Window Rubber Woes...

For 3 weeks now, a stupid, flimsly, piece-of-Indonesia junk has been holding back progress on my F-150.

I ordered a solid rear window and rubber from LMC Truck to replace my existing sliding rear window. Well, removing the factory window was a breeze, but the new rubber that came with the solid window wasn't big enough-- It didn't fill the lower corners of the window hole in the truck.

So, I called LMC Truck... EVIDENTLY, they sent me the rubber for a slider. So, I shipped it back, and TWO WEEKS LATER, they sent me the supposidly *correct* rubber. This one seems to be made for a solid window, but it's still too small...

The catalog states to fit the rubber to the truck first, then install the window. That didn't work... ALSO, the catalog says that the rubber is BIGGER than what it's later going to be. In other words, when it gets into the heat and sun, it's going to shrink! That won't work when it's already too small...

So, we put the rubber around the window and actually had to STRETCH it. Then, we put it in the truck. It was a VERY SLOW process...

But, an hour later, the window was in. But, the "lip" on the rubber still likes about a half an inch coming to the lower outer corners of the window frame.

I called LMC Truck once again and gave them a blessing, let me tell you...

They agreed for me to send back the window and the rubber, and the shipping is on them. I get all of my bucks back, thank God!

My conclusion on this is: By the time this rubber was shipped halfway around the world, then sits in LMC Truck's warehouse for no telling how long, it's already shrunk by now.

I'll still buy from LMC, just because they stood behind what they said, but no more windows or window rubbers...

I called Jack Morris, a local big-name auto glass installer, and they're coming out to my shop, installing a new back glass and new rubber for $150. I also get a warranty!

Thanks for letting me vent...

BTW, share your thoughts with me on the LMC rubbers... Do ya'll think they shrunk before they got here, especially the last once since it is made for the solid glass, or is it just that we don't know what we're doing? Be honest...

Nightrain

Last edited by Nightrain; 08-25-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:12 PM
billybob_81067
Senior User
I don't know why anyone would ever want to mess with glass... I mean your local guy is going to do it all for $150 and if he screws up and breaks it then he's out the glass not you. $150 for glass is chump change!

Just curious, but how much did the stuff from LMC cost including shipping?

Old 08-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
I know, it's crazy...

BUT... This is no joke;

I called Jack Morris before I ordered the goodies, and they wanted almost $400!! Now, for that, who wouldn't want to try it theirself?

But now, I think they priced me a new slider instead of a solid glass... They had to have.

Anyway, new glass was $50, new rubber was $40, and shipping was around $25. So, $115 total.

But, I get reimbursed for everything. I have spent $2k+ with LMC Truck in the last two months.

So, Monday the new glass goes in by Jack Morris...

None of us could be ANY happier!

Nightrain

Old 08-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Jack Morris came today and had the window job completed in less than 10 minutes...

That was some neat little string trick he did, I must say!

Just wanted to let ya'll know that the problem has been solved.

Nightrain