Sponsored by: DP Tuner

White smoke and stalls after 60 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 09:47 AM
bkeese
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke and stalls after 60 seconds

I have read the posts regarding glow plugs, but I'm not convinced that is what this is.

2000 PSD starts fine, seems to run fine, but 1/4 to 1/2 mile from my house it starts to stumble, then huge amounts of white (blueish) smoke. It often stalls but will catch and slowly pick up rpms until it blows out. Then it runs fine. The same thing happened last year and it cost me $700 to have my fuel filter changed at the dealer. This time I have change the fuel filter and that not it. Today, I started it and let it idle until the temp came up, I then drove it without incident. It will start and idle fine it is only when attempting to drive there is a problem.

My inclination is that it is associated with some sort of CHOKE operation. It seems to be worst on colder days (like 60 degrees). Last year it continued to get worst, until I gave up and put it in the shop. I can and will check the GPs. Would the GPs continue to heat & help burn the extra fuel during warmup warn up (while the choke is on)? If it is the GPs why does it start fine and idle?

Thanks, for any help.
Bob

Old 08-24-2006, 10:26 AM
nodakford
Senior User
When my CPS started going out, it would stumble, then catch. I had no white smoke, or anything. Glow Plugs are for starting. Turn the key on and the light stays on for about 10 sec. and the relay stays activated for about 90-120 secs then deactivates. You could have a sensor going bad like Injection Control Pressure Sensor or Engine Oil Temp Sensor. A good scanner would help determine this.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 790 Likes on 602 Posts
Probably have injector o-ring issues. Need to remove them and reseal them.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:38 PM
bkeese
Cross-Country
If it is an o-ring then why would it be fine after it warms up? Wouldn't a bad o-ring be bad ALL the time?

If you didn't have smoke then that not the solution. I definately got smoke, I mean a smoke screen, complete white out.

What is the choke mechanism on this things. On a carburated engine it would be a stuck choke butterfly.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one seems to ever mention what I have learned after years of owning a pusher CAT powered motor home. Every time I have had a white smoke issue with the CAT it has been air in the fuel. Usually a line sucking air as the fuel is passing through. My injector pump is so efficent that it will suck air and not allow any fuel to leak out where the air is getting in.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
PS: Seriously. $700.00 for a fuel filter change??? That dealer should literally be brought up on criminal charges of some kind. At the very least drag his sorry a$$ into small claims court. If that is all he did, he belongs in jail. At the very most a fuel filter is $40.00 and 10 minutes to change. They had to have done more than that!!

Old 08-28-2006, 11:16 AM
bkeese
Cross-Country
Come on guys, what's going on here? Someone must know. I don't need advise about small claims court. It's got to be some sort of choke sensor don't you think? But what?

Old 08-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by bkeese
Come on guys, what's going on here? Someone must know. I don't need advise about small claims court. It's got to be some sort of choke sensor don't you think? But what?
A choke with fuel injection??? I don't think so. Chokes are on carburators as far as I know. What exactly would you do with a choke? I guess the best you could do is a plastic bag over your intake nozzle.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:56 PM
bkeese
Cross-Country
Mark, do you ever help or just make wise cracks.

I know nothing about FI, but I do understand internal combustion mechanics well enough to know that there is some method of providing a richer air/fuel mixture when the engine/air is colder, unless the FI tricks the engine into thinking it is warmer than it is by heating the combustion chamber/intake manifold.

Could my problem be a faulty AIH relay. How long does the AIH stay on. Would a faulty AIH relay cause the engine to flood until it warms up?

Old 08-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by bkeese
Mark, do you ever help or just make wise cracks.

I know nothing about FI, but I do understand internal combustion mechanics well enough to know that there is some method of providing a richer air/fuel mixture when the engine/air is colder, unless the FI tricks the engine into thinking it is warmer than it is by heating the combustion chamber/intake manifold.

Could my problem be a faulty AIH relay. How long does the AIH stay on. Would a faulty AIH relay cause the engine to flood until it warms up?
Did I not mention in an earlier post that in my experience white smoke is indicative of air in the fuel. Any kind of a choke condition would cause just the opposite. You'll have no more problems from me because I would not reply to another of your posts for love or money.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Bkeese,

Here are my thoughts (I think) until some real smart folks come along.

The cold start from my knowledge consists of several items.

Air intake temperature sensor: don't believe this is a critical item as most who modify intake simply zip tie it off to the side with no problems.

Glow plugs and relay system: do a search on these. Truck usually will not start at all or very hard smoking etc if this is prob.

AIH: heats the intake air on cold days, don't know threshold but mine has been deleted with no probs.

EBV: I believe this activates during cold days and raises rpms as well as exhaust noise level making my truck sound like a jet.

I'm not sure any of these are your problem as it starts and idles, just goes south as you try to go. Maybe ebv sticking but what about the smoke?

Old 08-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
I'm only getting in here cuz the officer of the law got himself involved. Have you ever tried to start you PSD parked on a slope and be low on fuel at the same time. White smoke is the result. He is not having a problem starting, it blows the smoke and dies shortly after. I once drove the Indiana Tollroad for about 100 miles at a top speed of 22 mile an hour in order to get to a place that found a tiny pin hole in a fuel line. So small that the suction of the injector pump would not allow fuel to leak out but would suck air in and mix it with the fuel. Guess what color the smoke was.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:50 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

White Smoke = Air

Cause = Air is getting into the system. This air leakage could be anywhere from the fuel tank to the fuel filter to the fuel lines to the heads. A leaking injector seal could also cause this. You are just going to have to go on a search mission to find it.

I would start at the fuel tank. This is a known problem area, especially when you get below 1/4 tank of fuel. The quick conect couplings leave a lot to be desired since your pump is on the engine, not in the tank. As the pump pulls, it will suck air through the fittings. One test that you can do is get a clear filter and and leave the filter out and insert in between the pump and the fuel filter. You will be able to see the air (the fuel will look white). It should be clear. Also, remove the cap to the filter carefully (let the pressure off but don't drain). The fuel should be at the top. If not, you will get air there. I always top off the filter when changing it.

I hope this helps you get started. A fuel problem is definately a PITA!

Also, diesels do not have a choke like a gas carb.
Diesels work on heated compressed air with fuel injected.

Last edited by pmasley; 08-28-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Markadeck
I'm only getting in here cuz the officer of the law got himself involved. Have you ever tried to start you PSD parked on a slope and be low on fuel at the same time. White smoke is the result. He is not having a problem starting, it blows the smoke and dies shortly after. I once drove the Indiana Tollroad for about 100 miles at a top speed of 22 mile an hour in order to get to a place that found a tiny pin hole in a fuel line. So small that the suction of the injector pump would not allow fuel to leak out but would suck air in and mix it with the fuel. Guess what color the smoke was.
I know Mark, just trying to answer his AIH question. We all know you weren't attacking him, I believe he's frustrated with his rig and can't say I really blame him. I guess it doesn't take much air in the fuel line to really turn these things into glorified bug sprayers.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pmasley
White Smoke = Air

The quick conect couplings leave a lot to be desired since your pump is on the engine, not in the tank.
You meant frame rail under driver's seat, right?

Quick Reply: White smoke and stalls after 60 seconds