Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

What to see in BC

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What to see in BC

Well, I'm heading west next month and I've got some plans, but do you guys have any suggestions for must see things in BC. We're going to the island as well, so help me out a bit. I haven't been out there since '85, so I'm sure things have changed. Keep in mind that I'll be traveling with my wife and 4 kids ages 4 - 10. Keeping cost down would be good too.
And Pyro, I'll swing wide around Chilliwack.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,351 Likes on 1,110 Posts
Will you be coming thru Saskatoon on your way?

Old 08-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Will you be driving the Trans-Canada from Calgary ?

or The Yellowhead ?

Old 08-23-2006, 05:22 PM
61Canuck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My aunt and uncle moved to Comox (on the island) and openned and B & B a couple years ago. I'd really like to get out there and visit them and check out the scenery.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:32 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Haha well if you do get to chilliwack, let me know man! And it all depends what you want to do out here. If you are camping and into hiking and stuff, there is tons of stuff. I have recently been finding out more and more. And when you go to the island I would definatly go check out cathedral grove. It is where they have the huge trees, it is so neat to see! Oh and if your camping, book campsites ahead of time, trust me, I found out the hard way!

Old 08-23-2006, 11:29 PM
FirstTry
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you are into science, and especially for the kids, there is a museum exhibit in vancouver it is i believe. look it up on google. im not sure when it opens. it is the exhibit where they have real people who have donated their bodies to science and the real body parts are on display. its supposed to be very informative. it really creeps me out honestly. but it is supposed to be a once in a life time experience.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Oh man there is so much to see but it depends what your into me and my family didnt really see enough out there one place my dad look for was on the net for places to go and see...

Old 08-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Drumheller first, Calgary second, Banff next and then up to Jasper. From there, I'm not exactly sure. I want to hit the Okanogan on the way out, so I may have to detour a bit. Well will be pulling our beat up old trailer. At least if it gets cold, we have the furnace! We won't be camping on the island. I have family out there and will likely be staying with them for the few days we'll be there. The cathedral grove was one I definitely wanted to show the kids. I just forgot what it was called. The wife wants to see Buschard Gardens. Maybe go out to Tofino, just to see the unbroken ocean. On the mainland, there's Stanley park and the Aquarium. I was thinking about Capillano, but that's REALLY pricey and heights are not in my wife's reperatoire.
Johnston Canyon, near Banff was another.
Pyro, PM your Phone No. and I'll see what we can work out.
As for Saskatoon, sorry Fom, not this time. I'm going to make Drumheller the first day. Even on the way back, we'll likely be visiting my uncle in Gull lake and then heading straight back.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Mil1ion
New User
How important is Calgary/Banff on the way to the BC coast via Drumheller ?

Instead you can get to Highway #93 (to Jasper) by coming by my locale via Highway #11 to Saskatchewan River Crossing.

Highway #93 from Lake Louise to Jasper is very nice.

The Athabasca Glacier (head waters of the Bow river) is quite a site.
"The Crossing" has a great gift shop

The Johnston Canyon trail is currently closed due to bears foraging the berries.

Too many bear attacks

The parkway that runs to it is pretty nice if you don't want to feel rushed on the #1.

If you come back to the Trans-Canada to head West again then:

A must see without the trailer attached is Takkakah Falls at Field BC.
Spectacular Water Fall for Canada.

You can stay the night at the Yoho National Park Campground which is "right there".

The Spiral Tunnels (seen just before getting to Field) is a cool feature to watch the freight trains. Watching the Engine emerging from the tunnel while the tailend of the train is just entering the tunnel is cool.
It's an an Structural Engineers " Moment to Behold" adventure as they had to figure out a way to get the trains up & down that topography, through the kicking horse pass.

If you where to head West out of Jasper and take the Yellowhead I am of no further help until you get to Kamloops.

I don't know how far you intended drive per day maybe you can let me know.

Last edited by Mil1ion; 08-24-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:05 PM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Crowsnest highway is fun too. You can see the Othello tunnels near Hope.

The Athabasca Glacier is a neat stop. My wife and I did the monster bus tour onto the ice a couple years ago.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:27 PM
stuart1
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The only way to see in B.C. is either looking up or down.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Mil1ion
New User
so true......

Or

with the wipers on

Old 08-25-2006, 09:47 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Thats funny I heard that too, and it has rained once since I moved! They keep telling me wait for the winter though haha. And full I pmed ya.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Thanks for the help so far guys. Pyro, I'll make sure to call on my way through. I have an Aunt in Chilliwack that I haven't seen in 10 years. So I'll at least be making a stop there.
Hey, I jusy thought of something. If I do stop for coffee there, then you'll be the first on this forum to see the PSD. Sorry FOM! The really funny part is that you're not even on the prairies!
Last night I called some relatives on the island. I haven't seen them since '85. They know my folks, but that's about it. We talked like we were old friends. Right in the middle of it, I asked if we could stay there a couple of nights. He said that would be great and he's looking forward to it. I love having family!

Old 08-26-2006, 11:13 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Woo I feel special!! And keep in mind man, just because right at this moment I dont live back in sask., doesnt mean thats not where Im from