Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Diesel Kleen Folks reply about their leaky bottles

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:04 PM
WMRiceman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Kleen Folks reply about their leaky bottles

I while back we had a long thread about Diesel Kleen bottles that leak all over our trucks. I contacted Powerservice that make diesel kleen and technical advisor Brian Wilson replied.

He basically says to buy the small bottle and dump the entire contents in. He does address the sticky residue left over from dried DK and why the product smells so bad.

Here is what he says:

Mr. Riceman,

Thank you for being a Power Service customer. Thank you also for sharing with us some of the leaking problems that you have experienced with our containers and caps.

The best recommedation that I can make is for you to purchase the container size that addresses your specific size fuel tank. We manufacture a 16 ounce container that is specifically formulated for small or light-duty diesel engines. For tanks holding 40/50 gallons or less, the entire contents of this bottle can be poured into the tank. Therefore, the problem you have experienced with the bottle and what to do with it when there is product still left in it, is completely eliminated. Currently, our 16 ounce containers are available at automotive retailers such as Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Pilot Travel Centers and in Wal-Mart by early next year.

We have the best technology on the market and our products are aggressive to a lot of different types of bottles.
We have the inside of our bottles treated to help the bottle last longer. We have to use child proof caps as they have been mandated by law.

Some of our competitors don't have this type problem because they don't give you a strong additive package as we do. Our formulation is aggressive and this is what gives you the best performance when used in diesel fuel. The strong smell is from the Cetane Boost and it does smell bad but it does wonders for the motor. The detergents get sticky when they dry out but when added to the fuel they clean injectors which gives you better fuel economy.

Some of our competitors may try to take advantage of this and tell you that the strong smell and sticky when dry is not good for your engine, however I will tell you that if we reduced the detergent and Cetane Boost levels you will certainly see a loss in performance, you would not be happy with the results and we would have a very poor product.

If you try to use another container then use a chemical grade or steel bottle. Food grade bottles will not work. If the container you use gets soft then this is an indication that the bottle is failing and will probably start leaking. If you talk to a container manufacturer they can only tell you to try the container and see if it works. Even if you gave them the ingredients they can only give you a guess and then say try them and see if they work. If you have left over product put the container in a solid plastic tub so if it does leak you can clean the tub up, air it out and then put back in the vehicle.

There is a lot more to this issue than most people will ever know. I hope this information helps.

Best Regards,

Brian Wilson

bwilson@powerservice.com

Compliance Coordinator

Technical Advisor

800-643-9089

Old 09-21-2007, 06:04 PM
RogueSpear2023
Elder User
I quess I was the one that started the oringial post about this.

Linky

It's good they are coming out with smaller bottles, although I really like buying the big ones to save money. I guess the best thing I have found recently, is to put it in Gatorade bottles and throw them out after every fill. This is easy since I have plenty of Gatorade bottles, I drink a Gatorade every day at work. I should maybe try a steel bottle like they suggest. On a further note the Diesel Kleen ate through part of my floor mat, had to replace it. But I do love the stuff, I have noticed an increase in perfromance and MPG using it.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:56 PM
piotrsko
Elder User
make the little bottle per use cost the same as the big bottle per use and I will use the little bottle exclusively

the cust service dude is awfully free spending MY money

Old 09-21-2007, 08:43 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by piotrsko
the cust service dude is awfully free spending MY money
[/color][/size][/font]
That's the name of the game. I still say try a bottle of Howe's. If you don't like it pour your dieselkleen it that bottle. They don't leak like the powerservice or stanadyne bottles do.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:53 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
When I used DK, I always just put it in the Gatorade bottles...seemed to work just fine.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:55 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That was a poor explanation of a problem that is so common. Okay, their product is aggressive, so why do the 'treated' bottles leak? He never addressed it. Not only do they leak, but when you pour the product, half of it runs down the side of the bottles over your hands and onto the ground. I have to believe that there is technology out there that can address these problems.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:03 PM
JDJHNTR
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sgrol
That was a poor explanation of a problem that is so common. Okay, their product is aggressive, so why do the 'treated' bottles leak? He never addressed it. Not only do they leak, but when you pour the product, half of it runs down the side of the bottles over your hands and onto the ground. I have to believe that there is technology out there that can address these problems.

If the laundry detergent companies can produce a bottle that does NOT leak when pouring, then they could too!

Old 09-21-2007, 11:02 PM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Aggresive means corrosive to petroleum based materials (plastic containers) so why not just say corrosive? The only thing to use with any surety will be metal. If people want to pay the excessive cost for a metal container replacement then that's ok with me, but I don't. I'd rather buy ONE small bottle of the stuff and use that for transport but I don't even go that far. I buy a big jug and then pour it into a used oil quart container. The funnel type opening helps control spillage, but does not cure it. It does have handy ounce readings on the side to assist in doseage.

Let's face it, we're trying to dump the contents of a bottle in the fuel inlet. You WILL get messy. Besides, your hands already smell like diesel because you just touched the hose handle.

Last edited by dcf4x4; 09-21-2007 at 11:04 PM. Reason: misspellings
Old 09-21-2007, 11:08 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Just about every gas station I go to has FREE paper funnels inside for the asking. I get one before every fillup, it eliminates the spill down the side of the truck when pouring the DK into the gas tank.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:27 AM
RogueSpear2023
Elder User
The only question is how much more could a steel or aluminum can cost over a plasitc bottles. I mean at work if I buy and aluminum can out of the vending machine is cheaper per ounce than a plastic bottle. I know there are some energy drinks out there that have created resealable cans. I think NOS is one of them.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:10 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I have another thread that I started a few days ago with another bottle option. Nalgene, HDPE, graduated, small mouth bottles with an attached cap. Here's the link.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...of-bottle.html

Old 09-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigtexan99
Just about every gas station I go to has FREE paper funnels inside for the asking. I get one before every fillup, it eliminates the spill down the side of the truck when pouring the DK into the gas tank.
I usually grab 5-10 at a time. That way I have them when needed at fill up time. I also buy the DK in the 96oz bottle because it is cost effective. Not a very good explination on the leaky bottles.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Put the DK in a Nalgene bottle or leave it at home and take it when you fill up. That solves the leaky DK bottle problem.