General Automotive Discussion

Classifieds Questions & Answers

Old 08-22-2006, 10:33 AM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Classifieds Questions & Answers

Selling/Sold/Found your truck or parts?

Having put my truck in the Classifieds section on FTE, I am thinking about a few things:

Have you sold what you posted?

If you sold it, was it to someone out of city or state?

Did the transaction go smoothly?

I've never dealt with shipping & handling & getting payment for an item before, is it troublesome?

Have you found what you were looking for?

Have you found that people "embellish" their descriptions in their ads?

Last edited by four-sixty-power; 08-22-2006 at 10:37 AM. Reason: make post more straightforward
Old 08-22-2006, 10:38 AM
tcbofade
Hotshot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing I've posted didn't sell. I had sent a few questions to various others selling parts and received responses MONTHS later. So, unfortunately, I don't have much feedback to give you. I'd like to think that various other FTEers would at least be straight with eachother regarding what they are selling...check rep points? Someone with 1 post may be here just to unload a heap, but if it was Mi1lion, I'd buy a rebuilt ford rocket from him, ya know?

Old 08-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
And I just happen to have one to Tcb

Thank you for that vote of confidence TCb,

I have a tendency to believe that integrity is a vital part of life & living
I even send parts for free to some people just because they need them.

The one thing I can help Canadians with on there selling item to anyone in the US is that unless they have a paypal account and are willing to accept those terms set forth by them, that they only accept the PINK International Money order from the USPS.

This particular Money Order is an immediate payout of funds.

The Green Money order is one that has a 30 working days of pending on it.

In 6 years I have only had 2 transactions that soured.
One major & one minor.

Both of them ened up due to the responsiblity of the person buying.

One of them (in my mind) is still pending.

He apparently he forgot what he agreed to.
In fact ,he even made a post on FTE about me not honouring my side but, in reality, I had offered him repayment 4 times, and this is after shipping costs were paid out twice. He had said numerous times that instead of sending money back ,he would just wait until I found the proper part to send.
The part is a AM/FM truck radio.
*Sidenote:My computer has crashed and has been replaced twice since the initial deal but I still have his info to send him the said part and as you can see I have not gone anywhere.
This experience is what educated me on the difference between a car radio & truck radio. I have been warning people about Ebay purchases surrounding this part ever since.

I sell parts in USD and ask for shipping costs in USD as well.
This difference in currency (just a slight difference now) just barely covers the packing material,wrapping, fuel & time to get it to the post office within one hour of receiving the Money Order by mail.

Shipping items:

There are things to know about UPS when sending used items and insurance.

UPS does NOT Insure Used Utems. They will take your money making you think they are insured but if something happens and you go to make a claim, they refuse.

If UPS packages the item (HUGE fee for this) instead of you they say it would have be insured.

This is an International thing (crossing the border).

American's to American's with the confinds of the US border.... no problem.

Canadian's to Canadian's within the confinds of the CDN border...no problem

Though I still prefer Canada Post.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:46 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
so far i have only bought 1 thing out of the classified ads here, a 78 4x2 camper special. the pictures and description made it look allot better than it was, and talking to the seller made me think it was as good as the pictures. after driving 230 miles to get it, i saw it was not as presented. body beat to heck, not 1 straight piece of metal on it. 2 dead cylinders in the 400 engine from burnt valves, LARGE holes in the bed, the almost new tires were almost bald, the front end is ready to fall out of it. he was driving it. i will not even move it in the yard. 3/4 turn play in the steering wheel.

but i bought it anyway for $1000. the cab with full air conditioning was all i was looking for, and it is worth it in my eyes.
and the 400 engine only needs 1 head, which i have a spare, and the C6 trans is tight. so i can get allot of parts off it for the restore of the 79.