1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanna Trade For a Dually

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:09 PM
shenders99
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanna Trade For a Dually

So I finally got a new (to me) truck a couple months ago and am not sure if I made the right decision. I was shopping around for a 99-03 S/C or C/C and wound up finding a killer deal on a 99 F350 7.3L L/B DRW w/ 68K mi. It is in great shape, I am just not sure if I might have gotten something too big, is that possible??

Did you buy a truck that you now think is too small, really needed a dually?, wanna trade?

Seriously though, anyone else out there regret a dually purchase? Any tremendous set backs or advantages that I have not thought of yet?

All feed back is truely appreciated!!

Old 08-21-2006, 10:08 PM
PHWLEE
Posting Guru
Hey Shender, first let me welcome you here to the forum. You will find a bunch of really great people here with a wealth of information regarding Ford Trucks.

I have thought many, many times of getting a dually. Always though, it was a Ford SuperDuty. Never once have I ever thought of any other make. I had to weigh the factors of need vs want.....etc.... and ended up with a single rear wheel F250 both times. I can certainly understand your apprehension with the new dually because it is a substantial vehicle. My best input to you is to offer you my personal experience. I am a NYC Firefighter and as such, I drive all types of vehicles (also known as apparatus) from a 4 cylinder passenger car to a Ford Excursion to a GMC Suburban to a 30 ton Seagrave 2000 gpm pumper. Most of are which diesels. There is nothing like driving a heavy vehicle down a street the wrong way and watch the cars part way...and getting away with it! Anyhow, the point is that in each vehicle, I have gotten used to the way it drives and can drive it like my own personal daily driver. Of course there are factors like parking and maintenance and gas (or diesel) to consider. If I didn't have to worry about gas prices or parking, I would get a dually in a heartbeat. Some guys take a little while to get acclimated to their new vehicles, and others do so the second they turn the key. Give yourself some time to get to know your truck and then make a second decision.

If you still feel you took on too much truck, then think about parting with it. Do you have any pics....etc....?

Good Luck!

Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 PM
desrcr
Senior User
Originally Posted by shenders99
So I finally got a new (to me) truck a couple months ago and am not sure if I made the right decision. I was shopping around for a 99-03 S/C or C/C and wound up finding a killer deal on a 99 F350 7.3L L/B DRW w/ 68K mi. It is in great shape, I am just not sure if I might have gotten something too big, is that possible??

Did you buy a truck that you now think is too small, really needed a dually?, wanna trade?

Seriously though, anyone else out there regret a dually purchase? Any tremendous set backs or advantages that I have not thought of yet?

All feed back is truely appreciated!!
Dually here.....not what I was looking at when purchasing.
Upside... Stability and safety with trailer or weight.
Downside.... Tire maintenance/rotation and parking.
Iwas looking at F250 7.3's....the deal my freind gave me on his well maintained F350 V10 swayed me........I found alot of whipped deisels out there and did'nt want or could'nt afford new.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:48 PM
bad4dr
Cross-Country
I was looking for an F-350. Didn't need a dually, but I found one and bought it. I really like it, especially how less people want to borrow it because they don't think they can handle "that much truck." It drives the same, just gotta watch those outboard wheels and fender flares for the first few weeks until you figure out where everything is. Now I can weave around obstacles and park better than some folks I know with much smaller vehicles. I did find that with the supercab bodystyle and an 8' bed, it's actually easier to back into parking spaces than pulling in nose-first. I've gotten it into some tight spots, just using my mirrors and having some patience. It has 100,000 on the V-10 now, and when it finally gives up the ghost I'm replacing it with another Super Duty Dually. Next one might be a crew cab, though...

Old 08-22-2006, 05:58 AM
shenders99
Senior User
Thanks for the feedback

I appreciate all the comments.

First off I'd like to say that I am blessed enough to not worry about parking and the diesel prices.

Secondly, I have been growing some what attached to the truck, it is indeed is great piece of equipment.

I just really wished we would have bought a house further out in the country so I had more to park on than just a simple drive way.

Thanks Again Guys!

Old 08-22-2006, 10:47 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shenders99
First off I'd like to say that I am blessed enough to not worry about parking and the diesel prices. . .
Those are the 2 biggest problems right there. Without those, you're set. The advantages are in towing and hauling. And of course the "dually's are just cool," factor.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:25 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once you get used to it, you won't have any problems! Just takes a bit of time to get used to where everything is, then you don't even notice it.

When parking, back into the spot if you need to, or park out in the boonies and take up four spots like I do.