General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When Honda and Toyota start building heavy duty diesels trucks look out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Blowinsmoke
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When Honda and Toyota start building heavy duty diesels trucks look out.

I am not an advocate of foreign auto makers. But lets face it, the new truck lines from Honda and Toyota are of pretty good quality. When they break into the super duty and heavy duty line of trucks like the 250,350 and so on, I have little doubt that Ford will loose out big time. Ford as you know announced that not only are they cutting production by 21% in the next quarter but are also closing dealerships to increase profits locally.

If they have to compete with Honda and Toyota for the diesel engine market, I don't see how they will be able to stay competitive. Ford has already dropped from the number one seller of trucks this year. How sad will that be. I hope the engineers can get it right with the 6.4 psd

Old 08-21-2006, 08:17 PM
hduplease
New User
i see ford hurting to

as a owner of a super duty 2002 with 75000 miles i dont feel sorry for them, the workers yes but not ford, when u see a truck peeling paint and the dealer denys the claim saying it has to rust thru, u can see how i feel, i was looking for a new vehicle, but the dealer tells me he has 2004 trucks that are flaking and ford denys them, shame on ford, and shame on me if i buy another one . have had diesels since 83 and always fords and this one will probably be my last, my brother who has always had fords, just switched to dodge. i wont buy foreign, but i will look at other brands. ford wake up your your own worst enemy.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:36 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The main reason Ford truck sales are down is fuel prices are so high people are going to cars who dont really need a truck. Industry wide truck sales are down from last year regardless off brand. Fords F-series are the number one selling truck last I checked the sales numbers. Ford had there best sales month off the year this last month. Toyota na Honda have no experience building HD trucks. They have never done it before. If there lucky they maybe could sell 100,000 a year. Ford can build a million ttrucks a year with there plant capacity. Toyota an Honda can only build a fraction off that with there capcity. All the Big 3 makers are cutting production not just Ford. Honda an Toyota truck have had there quality problems from what Ive read an have not cought on with the american public.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:11 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 150ford
Toyota and Honda have no experience building HD trucks.
Toyota and Honda do they even build a light duty truck?

Old 08-22-2006, 06:51 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Honda makes that thing that looks like a Chevy Avalance wannabe.
Neither one of them can be called a truck IMO.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Batgeek
More Turbo
[QUOTE=150ford]Toyota na Honda have no experience building HD trucks/QUOTE]
Don't know about Honda, but Toyota has been building HD trucks for years under the Hino name and others. Toyota has alot of experience building HD trucks and diesels.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:31 PM
duffman77
Elder User
Honda's current truck is a V6 with unibody construction. There's no HD threat there. To me its just a physically large 1/4 ton.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by duffman77
Honda's current truck is a V6 with unibody construction. There's no HD threat there. To me its just a physically large 1/4 ton.
I agree totally the Toyota's are nice but in most people's opinion the Honda isnt

Old 08-23-2006, 05:23 PM
NA7.3LIDI
Junior User
All the car companies have gone sucked the big one lately, none of them are as good as they used to be. Look at the Toyota Fj cruiser, and look at an old one, not much of a comparison. Older ford trucks are far better than newer ones, they weren't about "shareholder value". Before 1996 Mercedes Benz was the best, matched only by BMW. Current Mercedes? they aren't as good as they used to be, ever since Daimlerchrystler merger it has been chrystler quailty in german cars, not vice versa. When the merger happened all the I6s were gone, now all are V-6s, even some of the diesels are V-6. Take a look at land rover, used to be among the most rugged vehicles on earth, now the soccer mom dealerships have a rock to drive over...
Oh, for a while honda had weak brakes...
However,as far as american trucks, I would not buy a new one, or a new car for that matter. For cars I will stick to used BMWs and used Mercedes Diesels.
However, the only foreign truck makers worth anything are Volvo and Mercedes Benz (the ones built by Daimler Benz, not Daimler Chrystler).
I think the ideal truck would be a late 70's with a ZF transmission and a Mercedes OM-366LA (pre merger). THAT WOULD ROCK!

Old 08-23-2006, 06:35 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Ford builds the highest quality trucks and car on the road today. 25% of all cars and trucks on the road are Fords. Ford doesn't have 25% market share, only reason for that high of a percentage of cars and trucks from Ford, they last longer!!

Go to a stand alone used car lot count the Number of brands by percentage I'll bet you on average less then 20% are Fords. Then go to any major Hwy. and count the percentage of brands. I have, down south 25% of all cars and truck on the Hwys. are Fords!! Ford has what 20% market share!

I wouldn't hold my breath on Toyota, Nissan and Honda. I had a Toyota Fullsized it took me all of 28 days to figure out it wouldn't last me a year!! I do us a Truck as a truck!

Old 08-24-2006, 09:51 AM
alfama351
Senior User
I just read this today on MSN.
Top Ten Car Lists

advertisement
Top Pickups
on MSN Autos

The Ford F-150 remains the most popular pickup truck on MSN Autos for the second quarter in a row. It is also the best-selling vehicle in America for 28 years straight.
Click to enlarge
compiled by MSN Autos

The most popular pickups on MSN Autos, based on visits to the site's vehicle pages.

Click to enlarge

For 2006 the Silverado gets restyled for a fresh look. The Silverado 1500 is second only to the Ford F-Series in U.S. sales.

Click to enlarge

The sixth-generation Toyota Tacoma is the second most popular truck on MSN Autos in the second quarter of 2006.

advertisement

Click to enlarge

GMC added an Extended Cab short bed version to its Sierra 1500 lineup for 2006.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Dodge Ram 1500
Dodge Ram 2500
Ford F-150
Ford F-250 Super Duty
Ford Ranger
GMC Sierra 1500
Nissan Titan
Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Tundra

Click to enlarge

Aside from getting a new look that includes a redesigned grille and headlights, the Ram 2500 is also offered in a six-seat Mega Cab trim, the largest cab offered in a pickup.

The Ford F-150 remains in the top spot as the most popular pickup among shoppers on MSN Autos for the second quarter of 2006, based on the number of visits to the site's vehicle information pages. In fact Ford placed three vehicles in the top ten, including the compact Ranger in fifth place and the full-size F-250 Super Duty in seventh place.
Taking the second and third spots are two pickups from Toyota, the Tacoma and Tundra. Only three imports placed in the top ten as domestics dominated the list. The other import is the full-size Nissan Titan, which came in eighth place.

Other domestics include two pickups from General Motors and two from Dodge. The newly styled Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and the GMC Sierra 1500 slotted in fourth and ninth place, respectively. The redesigned Dodge Ram 1500 takes sixth and the heavy-duty Dodge Ram 2500 rounds out the top ten.

Photo Gallery: Popular Pickups

The list of the ten most popular pickups on MSN Autos is based on visits to the site's vehicle research pages during the second quarter, April through June, of 2006.

1. Ford F-150
The F-Series has been the best-selling vehicle in America for 28 years straight. For 2006 the full-size F-150 is offered with a limited-edition Harley-Davidson Package featuring a Monotone Black exterior, 22-inch polished forged aluminum wheels, a high-gloss Piano Black interior detail, black aniline leather seating surfaces, and chrome details. And for the first time ever, the Harley-Davidson Package is available with either two- or all-wheel drive. Also new for 2006 are optional 20-inch wheels on FX4, Lariat and King Ranch trims.

2. Toyota Tacoma
Now in its sixth generation, the Tacoma is Toyota's compact truck that was redesigned for 2005. Available in Regular Cab, extended Access Cab, and four-door Double Cab versions, the new Tacoma is larger, more powerful and more fuel-efficient. For 2006 the Tacoma receives minor updates, including new safety features such as a standard Tire-Pressure-Monitoring System (TPMS) and versions equipped with a front bench seat receive an advanced dual-stage airbag system.

3. Toyota Tundra
After receiving updates to the exterior and more powerful engines for 2005, the full-size Toyota Tundra continues unchanged for 2006. At the 2006 Chicago Auto Show, Toyota unveiled an all-new completely redesigned 2007 Tundra that features a wider frame, longer wheelbase and longer body. The next-generation Tundra will offer three different engines, a new heavy-duty six-speed transmission and three cab configurations. The new 2007 Tundra should go on sale sometime in early 2007.

4. Chevrolet Silverado 1500
The Silverado 1500 is Chevrolet's full-size pickup and is second only to the Ford F-Series in U.S. sales. Available in Regular Cab, Extended Cab and the 4-door Crew Cab versions, the Silverado offers a variety of engine choices, including the first hybrid powertrain found in a production pickup truck—the Silverado Hybrid. For 2006 the Silverado 1500 gets a new front-end appearance, with a revised grille design and a power dome hood. The grille is a dual-port design with a prominent gold bow tie; the power dome hood is similar to that on the Silverado 3500.

Get a Dealer Quote
Our buying service helps you:
Save time and money
Get the latest incentives/rebates
Find a qualified local dealer
Locate the vehicle you want

Or find out about Certified Pre-Owned cars.

5. Ford Ranger
Ford's Ranger compact pickup was introduced back in 1982 when it first rolled off the assembly line in Louisville, KY. Since then it has become the best-selling compact truck for 18 straight years. For 2006 Ranger gets a slight restyling that includes a horizontal grille insert, new taillights and fog lights, and new exterior colors. A number of features and package upgrades have also been added for the 2006 model year.

6. Dodge Ram 1500
The Ram 1500 is Dodge's full-size half-ton pickup that was redesigned with bolder, distinctive styling for 2002. For 2006 the Ram gets a fresh look with a new frame and suspension designed to improve ride, handling and quietness. The interior receives a redesigned instrument panel, center console, a new seat design and optional rear-seat DVD entertainment system. The 5.7-liter HEMI V8 engine features a cylinder deactivation system for better fuel economy. Also new for 2006 is the Mega Cab with seating for six adults and the largest cab offered in a pickup.

7. Ford F-250 Super Duty
Built on a separate platform from the F-150, the F-250 Super Duty is Ford's heavy-duty pickup. After receiving exterior updates and improved engines for 2005, the F-250 is offered with a variety of new packages including an Amarillo Package and a Chrome Package. Available in Regular Cab, SuperCab and Crew Cab body styles, the F-250 is offered with three engine options including a 6.8-liter 3-valve Triton V10 that produces 355 horsepower and 455 lb-ft of torque, and a 6.0-liter V8 diesel that produces 570 lb-ft of torque and 325 horsepower.

8. Nissan Titan
First unveiled at the 2003 North American International Auto Show, the full-size Nissan Titan pickup went on sale as a 2004 model. Conceived, developed and engineered primarily in North America, the Titan is produced at Nissan's new facility in Canton, Mississippi. For 2006 Titan receives minor enhancements including Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC), which is available with the locking differential, and a Tow Package is available on the XE. Two new exterior colors are available: Majestic Blue and Pewter.

9. GMC Sierra 1500
Introduced in 1999 as a replacement for the C/K, the Sierra 1500 is GMC's full-size half-ton pickup that was given styling to better differentiate it from Chevy's full-size trucks. For 2006 the Sierra 1500 adds an Extended Cab short bed version with a Vortec 5300 V8 engine and available 20-inch wheels, a VortecMAX Performance Package, a new SL Crew Cab model, two new exterior colors, and a hybrid powertrain called the Sierra Hybrid.

10. Dodge Ram 2500
Replacing the previous Dodge pickup in 1994, the Ram 2500 is Dodge's ¾ ton heavy-duty pickup. In 2005 Dodge introduced the Ram Power Wagon that features a 345-horsepower 5.7-liter HEMI V8. For 2006 the Ram 2500 receives a new look with redesigned headlights, grille, front fascia, and fenders. The interior is fitted with a restyled instrument panel, a new seat design and an optional rear-seat DVD entertainment system. Also new for 2006 is the Mega Cab, the largest cab offered in a pickup. It seats six adults.

In the market for a new car? MSN Autos is pleased to provide you with information and services designed to save you time, money and hassle. Click to research prices and specifications on any new car on the market or click to get a free price quote through MSN Autos' New-Car Buying Service.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Mrgeoff
Freshman User
It will be interesting to see what toyota does. They do have good engineering. (I said to see, not to buy). Has anybody herd about ford wanting to put Caterpiler in there heavy trucks. I herd they other day from my girlfriends dad that has worked at ford for 30+ years. He herd the cat C-6. That will be nice.