1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Coolant tempreture sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 06:13 PM
eigenvector
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant tempreture sensor

I was told that pinging can also be affected by the coolant tempreture sensor. But when looking at the Haynes manual it mentions the coolant tempreture SENDING unit - a completely different sensor. It mentions this pointedly, one drives the idiot light on the dash and the other pumps info to the computer so it can calculate mixture. But of course it only lists the SENDING unit.

So where is this thing and how would one test it - if that's even possible/advisable?

BTW: This is the for a 2000 3.0 FI

Old 08-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Follow the upper radiator hose to the engine, you'll see two similar-looking sensors near to were the rad hose connects up to the T-stat housing, the ECT is the 2-wire sensor, the temp. sending unit is the single-wire sensor.

Yes, the ECT can be tested with a simple meter: ECT Theory and Testing

Old 08-14-2006, 08:14 PM
eigenvector
Elder User
You know what this forum needs - an interactive engine map for people like me who just don't know #%@ but just love asking questions.

I'd be willing to help, I've asked more than my fair share of questions about everything associated with the engine except the internals. I can do all the photos and the descriptions, I just need someone to help with the mouse-overs and a place to put it.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by eigenvector
You know what this forum needs - an interactive engine map for people like me who just don't know #%@ but just love asking questions.

I'd be willing to help, I've asked more than my fair share of questions about everything associated with the engine except the internals. I can do all the photos and the descriptions, I just need someone to help with the mouse-overs and a place to put it.
Good thought, but the problem is that Ford likes to changes things around on a fairly regular basis, sometimes seemingly for no reason, so one year can be different than the next, depending on which engine it is, what year it is, etc.

The Ford Factory Manual CDs have location diagrams and such in them, among other things. You can find the manuals at Helminc.com or on eBay.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:36 PM
eigenvector
Elder User
I'm gonna need better probes for my multimeter - all I have are those stabber probes and working with those tiny leads on the ECT it just won't work.

The only reading I was able to get with the engine 2 1/2 hours cold was 15 ohms - or about 110 degrees. I'm not sure if that sound's reasonable given that it's about 70 right now outside. I'd better get me some better probes and then check it again after just getting in from work.

BTW: What temp does the engine typically run at? Assuming a functional but not brand new cooling system.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Might be better to remove the ECT and then test it while you have it immersed (along with a thermonmeter) in a pan of water. Heat the water and then watch the temperature while probing the ECT.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:45 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you look at Rockledge's link, 15 OHMS is outside the operating range for a GOOD ECT sensor. I'm surprised it isn't creating an error code, and setting the CEL. Are you sure you were measuring the 2-wire sensor, and not the single wire sensor?

Old 08-15-2006, 08:47 AM
eigenvector
Elder User
Well.....actually I had my meter set too low and it was measuring something else. When I went back a few hours later it came back at 12 Kohms, still outside the range but I'll take Rock's advice and do the measuring from a pan of water. At least then I'll get an accurate measurment.

Hey, if I pull this thing is coolant gonna pour out of the hole? It is below the coolant hose level.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Yes, you will loose coolant when you pull the sensor.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:54 PM
eigenvector
Elder User
So I pulled the ECT sensor in my truck and tested the resistance at 3 different temps. At whatever temp cold water comes out at (I guessed 70 F) it was reading 26 Kohms, close but off according to the chart on the tech sticky. I boiled some water and measured it again it read 6 Kohms, again about 10 Kohms off for that temp, Now I've stuck it in the freezer and when I take it out I expect it to read high still, but it hasn't been long enough yet. So my question, is it normal that it reads high? When I re-install it so that when I drive over to get a replacement should I wrap it with teflon tape first or should I use something else?

So I took the ECT resistance at about 32 F and it was reading 146 Kohms - way over what it should be.

Last edited by eigenvector; 08-19-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Without knowing the actual temperatures, it's hard to make heads or tails of the test results.

FWIW, here's another tech article on the ECT: http://www.kemparts.com/TechTalk/tt13.asp

Old 08-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Rockledge
Without knowing the actual temperatures, it's hard to make heads or tails of the test results.

FWIW, here's another tech article on the ECT: http://www.kemparts.com/TechTalk/tt13.asp
As usual, geat technical references Joe!! I hope you are doing well!!!

Old 08-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bob Ayers
As usual, geat technical references Joe!! I hope you are doing well!!!
I'm doing just fine, thanks Bob. Hope things are well with you, too.