1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Looking at 95 4L5sp 4x4 - what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 10:14 AM
agryphon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at 95 4L5sp 4x4 - what to look for?

I came across this 95 Extended cab ranger - it's got the 4.0, 5sp, 4x4 - I know I said I was just gonna fix up my current truck, but this is pretty much exactly what I wanted... So I am going to at least take a (hopefully objective) look at it tomorrow.

I'm pretty familar with my 93 2.3l 2wd, but have never owned a 4wd before. What all should I be looking closely at on this truck? I have fixed a pretty extensive laundry list of stuff on my current truck, so have a general idea. The one I'm going to look at has got 160k on it, mostly highway miles, and was never used as a work truck.

It sat for a year while the owner was away, and when he got back the brakes were no good. So it had everything replaced from the M/C back, apparently including even the brake lines. Which I guess is good if it was quality work!

Body is in real good shape, no visable rust. Bed is kinda scratched up, never had a liner. Interior is at least as good, if not better, then what I already have. Kinda dirty, but thats just time and elbow grease to fix.

Would this truck have the M5OD trans? I have an idea about what to look for there (shift rail plugs, leaking, etc).

Sure you guys can steer me right here!

Old 10-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Alan D.
Posting Guru
Well, the 95's differ very little from the 97's. first thing to look for is the exauhst color and smell. then work over the transmision. usueally they leak from the top. not a big deal, just replace the gasket. you'll know if it's leaking, becuase it will be a real pain to taake between gears sometimes. next hit the hubs. if it's 4wd, are they maunal or automatic. automatic ones will need replacing. use the warn ones. they'll run you about $200 for the whole kit, but well worth it. look at the spare, maybe even try to remove it. you probably wont budge it. thats ok, you can fix it.

Interior, i never used elbow grease as a cleaning gent, but go for it. lol. as long as it doesn't run with less power than your current truck, and it doesn't shimmy or shake, and it passes all the things i mentioned above, then gofer-it

Old 10-09-2006, 03:33 PM
agryphon
Senior User
Hmmm, a "cleaning gent" - guess that would be me!

Anything specific to the 4.0 I should know about? I don't know what type of hubs it has yet... From reading the forums I gather that manual hubs are more reliable - but the auto's need to be 'exercised' occasionally or they bind up. Also the shift motors sound problematic.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:09 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
The shift motors aren't to bad if you engage the 4-wheel drive alot. When the 4x4 is seldom used is when the shift motors tend to act up, of course they will also just wear out. I engage high and low range once a week when I take feed out back to the barn. I don't need to in good weather, but it keeps the system freed up and lubed. Alot of people slame the M5OD, but I've had 4 of them and have never had a problem and they get abused at times, the shift rail plugs is the main thing. Alot of guy's go a head and replace them with brass ones. Yeah it will have the M5OD, a good trans I think, the 4.0 is an excellent power plant, no problems there. It will have the ford 8.8 in the rear and a dana 35 in the front, your good to go there. Change out the grill for a 93 4x4 grill (looks much better) and your ready to wheel with the best of them.

Aian D I thought you just got married, don't you have some better things to do than talk on the forum, like a honeymoon for instance ha ha.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:32 PM
rbengl
Senior User
If you've never had a 4X4 before, be sure to shift it into 4 wheel drive, crank the wheel one way and try to pull forward. Do this in both directions. If it turns and goes without bucking and acting like it's going to die. Run away, run very far away.
If it acts like the above, then the 4 wheel part is all working as it should. This should be done on a dry pavement if possible. Trust me you'll know if it's working or not, if it turns like your 2X4 then there is an issue.

I went to a truck dealer in used vehicles and did this little trick on a Ranger. It motored right around without an issue. The sales guy got in and tried it, then the manager came out and tried it, then the owner tried it. An hour and a half later, they "suggested" that I buy the truck and put the extended warranty on it. Then in a month turn it in for a "failed" 4X4 unit.
After I told them I was leaving and no longer would do business with them, they asked why? After explaining that thier suggestion was a form of insurance fraud, they returned my keys to my trade-in and I left.
Make sure you always check this and it works in all 4X4 vehicles.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:09 AM
agryphon
Senior User
I would not have thought to test like that - thanks very much!

Old 10-10-2006, 10:31 AM
agryphon
Senior User
I looked at the truck this morning - it doesn't appear to have been maintained as well I would have liked...

It does shift into 4WD, and cranking the wheel over and moving forward, it bucked and clanked loudly. Seemed to take a little bit to shift back out of 4WD though I'm not sure whats normal for that truck.

I don't think the truck has had regular use for a while. It's definately got some issues to attend to, but pretty much the stuff you expect to find on a truck that hasn't been maintained to the level that seems expected by the folks on this forum.

One thing I noted was the carpet is damp in the driver & passenger footwells. Are there any common problems associated with water leaks in 95 Rangers?

Old 10-10-2006, 10:47 AM
rbengl
Senior User
Normally on these trucks you have to shift out of 4X4 and then back the truck up to release the front hubs if they are not manual hubs.

My guess on the water leak would be a leak in the heater core. Did you check to see if it was just water or coolant? If it's just water, I'd check the radiator to make sure that it's not just filled with water as well. I've had a 93 and my current 96 has no issue with water leakage in this area.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:05 AM
agryphon
Senior User
I actually did smell it, and it was not coolant. The carpet was damp next to each door, towards the front. If it was the heater core, I would have expected it only on the passenger side.

I didn't see signs of leakage under the dash, so wondering about the door seals, or possibly its getting in behind the kick panels? Not sure whats back there... Not sure how you could tell with out pulling the kick panels and carpet, and watching...

Thats why I was asking if there were any known common problems with water leaks...

EDIT: CarFax reports a minor front-end accident a few years ago... Wonder if that has anything to do with it? Also the VIN reports as a '96 ranger...

It looked ok and seemed to drive well, tracked pretty straight, very slight pull to left on hard braking.

Last edited by agryphon; 10-10-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:58 AM
agryphon
Senior User
Some more digging in the forums turned up a thread that suggests leaky rear window seals and/or 3rd brake light is often the cause of the wet carpets in front. I guess thats a low spot where the water collects.