Illinois Chapter Join Chapter Leader: wpnaes

Moving to IL - Is my lifted Excursion going to be legal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 06:54 PM
BIGRNU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to IL - Is my lifted Excursion going to be legal?

Hey all -

I just found out I am being relocated to Illinois in a few months. I have a 2000 Excursion 4x4, and I am about to install a lift and new tires on it... But I am hesitating now, as I do not want to make my truck illegal.

The lift is a 6.5" Pro Comp, tires are 37x12.5/16. Pro Comp says the lift will probably give me more like 7.5-8.5" of height increase...

I can't get under the truck right now to measure it because I am overseas... without the truck. Anyone care to throw out a guess as to whether or not I will be legal due to bumper height laws??

Thanks!

Mark

Old 11-23-2005, 02:09 PM
91f250460
Senior User
Less than 4500 GVWR front bumper height no more than 24", rear no more than 26". Over 4500 GVWR front 27", rear 29" bumper heights. No more than 3" body lifts. However depending on where you are at makes a big difference also. I live in central Illinois in a mostly rural area and the police around here generally don't give us any trouble about our lifts. However a couple people have been pulled over for other reasons and then cited for illegal lifts along with whatever they got pulled over for. Hope this helps and welcome to Illinois.

T. Roberts
UFD Local 1147

Old 11-23-2005, 03:55 PM
BIGRNU
Senior User
Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty sure I will be over height on the bumpers. I doubt I'll even need to measure to figure that out.

I have a pretty strong feeling I'll be trying to trade my lift for a 4" and 35" tires instead. Might be the only way to still lift the truck, and stay somewhat legal.

BTW - I'll be moving to Scott AFB, 20 miles from St Louis.

Old 11-24-2005, 04:54 AM
Dave S
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BIGRNU
Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty sure I will be over height on the bumpers. I doubt I'll even need to measure to figure that out.

I have a pretty strong feeling I'll be trying to trade my lift for a 4" and 35" tires instead. Might be the only way to still lift the truck, and stay somewhat legal.

BTW - I'll be moving to Scott AFB, 20 miles from St Louis.
Let me be the first to welcome you to the area. I live about 20 minutes from Scott. (Was in the reserves after AD @ SAFB in the mid-90's). If you are moving to base housing, you'll have no crap from the SP's about it, but Belleville cops are @$$-#0!e$ about all things vehicular. If you need more info about the area, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Welcome to the area!

Dave

Old 11-24-2005, 10:53 AM
kawika
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in Naperville west of Chicago, and I have not had any problems with my 6 inch lift with 35 inch tires. The cops do not even look my way. They pull too many ricers or drunks over. But try to go through a yellow (red) light, or cross a double solid line and you'll have a meet with a trooper real quick (Don' t ask how I know). When a car slid under me while I was stopped at a light, the cop did not say anything about my lift, just wanted to make sure no one was hurt or anything damaged (none on the truck, but the car was a mess). If it was lifted a little higher, the car might have reached my axels and not just the tow hitch.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:12 AM
Fastronald
Elder User
Height

I agree........you should be just a number in the crowd here.

The only problem I ever had with my lifted 1980 F - 250 4x4 was the Orland Park Cops.

They wanted mudflaps on the truck.

Welcome, Fastronald

Old 11-24-2005, 03:52 PM
BIGRNU
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dave S
Let me be the first to welcome you to the area. I live about 20 minutes from Scott. (Was in the reserves after AD @ SAFB in the mid-90's). If you are moving to base housing, you'll have no crap from the SP's about it, but Belleville cops are @$$-#0!e$ about all things vehicular. If you need more info about the area, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Welcome to the area!

Dave
Hey Dave! Thanks for the welcome. We are looking at purchasing a house in Belleville or one of the other small towns near Scott AFB. I've done the rental thing over and over again, and currently live in base housing at Peterson AFB. I really have no desire to live in someone else's house anymore!! I'm ready to OWN.

I am seriously considering just running my 6.5" lift with 35" tires, if it doesn't put me too much over the bumper height limit. If I'm within an inch or two, I can't see the cops giving me too much of a hard time. I'm a young guy - but have a wife and a kid, so my driving habits have adjusted accordingly. I don't hot rod around, don't "cruise", and do my best to stay within the speed limits. Hopefully that is enough to keep the police away!

I'll drop you a PM a little later - I do have some questions about the area.

Thanks again!

Mark

Old 11-24-2005, 03:55 PM
BIGRNU
Senior User
Kawika and Fastronald - Thanks for the additional info! I'm starting to feel better about this. It's also good to know there is a fair amount of lifted 4x4s in Illinois! Even though - it's hard to make a lifted Excursion NOT stand out in a crowd. I think the only thing I have going for me is the sheer size of the vehicle... When your truck is 19 feet long, it tends to make the extra height look more natural.

Old 11-24-2005, 07:09 PM
whowey
Senior User
My BIL and SIL just rotated out of Scott. Unfortunately, my BIL is one of the unwashed masses(ricer/stereo freak) He was hassled constantly by the SP's, for his boom Neon. They lived in base housing also. The only comment I ever had when visiting was the gate guys once asked where I got the wheels on my lifted Jeep. I had no rear bumper at the time. Belleville city police, however..... Let's just say I am very glad I won't be seeing them again anytime soon.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:37 PM
sir alpha
Junior User
if u havent driven in snow for a few years then u might want to wait un till after the first winter u will be top heavy and the wind will hit u hard even when ur on ice.................when my brother got out of the army he couldnt handle a stock ranger for crap in the winter and he grew up here and turned 16 in dec but it still took him a few winters to learn to drive again

Old 08-18-2006, 06:58 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BIGRNU
Hey all -

I just found out I am being relocated to Illinois in a few months. I have a 2000 Excursion 4x4, and I am about to install a lift and new tires on it... But I am hesitating now, as I do not want to make my truck illegal.

The lift is a 6.5" Pro Comp, tires are 37x12.5/16. Pro Comp says the lift will probably give me more like 7.5-8.5" of height increase...

I can't get under the truck right now to measure it because I am overseas... without the truck. Anyone care to throw out a guess as to whether or not I will be legal due to bumper height laws??

Thanks!

Mark
I have not seen you post here since this post
did you ever make it to Scott AFB?