Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Wondering why your MIL doesn't come on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:53 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
It does make it more OBD-II compliant, that's for sure!

Does it have an EGR?

Old 06-17-2008, 11:17 PM
ZBIGBIG19TH
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We can finally have dealer's alike scan equipment at home or I'am dreami'n???:
Products

Old 08-31-2009, 01:40 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RE: Misfiring, can't solve this. HELP! -thread-

Krewat,

I found this thread through (Misfiring, can't solve this. HELP!)

Now I'm curious if my Truck is actually OBDI not OBDII as I've thought it was? My emissions sticker states LEV medium duty OBDII compliant. Comparing your Truck with mine, they are pretty much the same yet the emissions stickers are clearly different (yours heavy duty and mine medium duty). Is there any way for me to confirm OBDI or OBDII?

Thanks,
Rick...

Originally Posted by Krewat
One thing about inspections is, if you are registered as a passenger car, you WILL fail the test. I had problems EVERY year since I got the thing brand-new in 2002, either because the guy didn't want to put it on his "dyno" emissions equipment, or the thing failed the OBD-II tests. The last test, they just told the inspector to put it in as 8800lbs (instead of the 5700 on the registration) and it needed an idle sniffer test.

But yes, this does effect inspections.

Look under the hood for the emissions sticker. It will say "conforms to XXX for heavy-duty truck engines". My says "Conforms to ULEV specs for heavy-duty truck engines". The key part is "heavy-duty". If it says that, chances are you are OBD-I

The third O2 sensor is NOT an indicator that you are OBD-I or OBD-II. That's just for checking catalytic converter efficiency, and it doesn't mean anything OBD-I vs. OBD-II.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:45 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
One quick way: Do you have an O2 sensor after the catalytic converter?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:29 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Krewat,,, "Now I'm curious if"

Off the top of my head I want to say no, but I will confirm when I get home later to day. I just stopped by home for lunch and My Truck is parked at a job site right now.

Rick...

Edit NOTE:
I just re-read the thread and realized my question has already been answered RE: O2 sensor after the cat. It was a long day yesterday. <sigh> I will check for the rear O2 sensor when I get back to the Truck.

Rick...

Old 09-01-2009, 04:07 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
RE RE: Krewat,,, "Now I'm curious if"

Krewat,

I have confirmed it does have the 02 sensor after the cat and with the emissions sticker confirmation (photo of it below) I would say my Truck is more than likely OBDII compliant.

Would it be considered 100% OBDII or still maybe only partially?

The Truck is a US vehicle. It was transported to me here in Canaduh from Palm Springs.

(photo of emissions sticker stating OBDII certified)

Rick...

Originally Posted by _Rick_
Off the top of my head I want to say no, but I will confirm when I get home later to day. I just stopped by home for lunch and My Truck is parked at a job site right now.

Rick...

Edit NOTE:
I just re-read the thread and realized my question has already been answered RE: O2 sensor after the cat. It was a long day yesterday. <SIGH>I will check for the rear O2 sensor when I get back to the Truck.

Rick...

Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
If it says it is, I guess it is

This is a second or third time I've heard of a California truck having the O2 after the catalytic converter.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:11 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Krewat,

The fact that it seems to be a rarity for these (certain years) to have a 100% OBDII compliant system, I am now wondering if the Banks Power Pack system installed on my Truck has some thing to do with the rear 02 Sensor. I will have to look into this further to satisfy my inquiring mind. I'm not going to loose any sleep over this one, but it would be nice to confirm 100% OBDII or not.

Rick...

If it says it is, I guess it is

This is a second or third time I've heard of a California truck having the O2 after the catalytic converter.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:28 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by _Rick_

Rick...
Rick, this sticker says it ALL. It's OBD-II. My '01 doesn't say that, just Federal ULEV.

What issues are you having with the Banks system? Start a new thread, I'd like to keep this one (relatively) clean.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:50 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Krewat,

No issue with the Banks system. I only remembered that the Banks installation required some attention to the 02 sensors and thought maybe it called for adding the rear sensor,,, but probably not. I'm pretty sure the rear sensor was in place on the exhaust from the factory.
More than anything I was/am curious as to why some '02 F350's (give or take a couple of production years) would be OBDII and others would be OBDI.

Either way,,, sorry for messing up the thread.
I'll let the issue slide. I'll do some research in the winter months when I have more free time to waste.

Hopefully the emissions sticker photo I posted will atleast be of use to someome with OBDI / OBDII questions in the future.
(sticker is located on the underside of the hood directly below the latch)

Rick...

Rick, this sticker says it ALL. It's OBD-II. My '01 doesn't say that, just Federal ULEV.

What issues are you having with the Banks system? Start a new thread, I'd like to keep this one (relatively) clean.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:05 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by juterbock
The other wierd thing I noticed here in NC is that almost all 3/4 ton trucks and larger and alot extended cab 1/2ton trucks have weighted plates, and I don't, never have figured this out.
Thats because you only have 5000# tags on the truck. Most folks at the License Plate Agency's don't know the difference unless you tell them. The weird part is you will not be ticketed for anything less than 9000# as long as it is recreational. If you are using the truck commercially, you really need to up the tags to save yourself some headache in case you are stopped and weighed. They told me that there is now so much confusion over this that they are now trying to find a way to resolve the confusion.

Another mess they made is with inspections is that N.C. inspection stations will no longer inspect a truck registered over 10,000#'s. My Excursion is registered as a truck and has 20,000# tags on it. That means that I technically need a federal inspection which I am allowed to do myself as long as I'm the owner and do most of the repairs. The problem is the Ex. has a gasoline engine, so this presents another problem. I hopefully will get this figured out by December as I cannot reduce the registration.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
For the record, my '99 (built in '98) CA truck has O2 sensor after the cat.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:15 PM
3000 FPS
Elder User
Just for more information my F-250 sold in California has an O2 sensor after the cat.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 PM
SLAYER1
Senior User
I just went through a big mess getting my 02 Ex 6.8 inspected. The station entered the weight as 6800 lbs, the GVW is 8900. This is straight off the DPS of TX website. "Vehicles, GVW over 8500 lbs. Gasoline powered vehicles, model years 1996 and newer, with a GVW of 8501 lbs. and greater, are not required to have an emissions testable OBD system with a DLC." The original station put in the wrong weight which made my inspection fail. Took it around the corner, the correct weight was put in & it passed.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:13 AM
2006pelon
Freshman User
Hi guys, I have a question, I am plannig to purchase a 2008 F250 V10 from the Stae of Arizona, and I live in California and planning to register the truck in California, what do I need to look on the Vehicle Emissions Control Info. Sticker? If the truck is from Arizona does it have the emission equipment for California or do I have to install more emmision equip. to register it in Ca? thank you on advance. I don't want tp purchase it and then to find out I can't register this vehicle in Ca. tiznadoj626@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Wondering why your MIL doesn't come on?