Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cop Pcv Iac Maf Wtf?!!

Old 08-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Homer Simpson
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Cop Pcv Iac Maf Wtf?!!

Howdy Folks, First time poster, long time owner.

First, I'd like to thank everyone who posted advice and instructions for the whole V10 engine hesitating "thing". I wanted to fill you in on my COP PCV IAC MAF story.

So I noticed over the past few weeks that the V10 engine in my 2000 Excursion was missing just a bit so I thought, "Well at 75k it must be time to change the "100K" spark plugs". Last weekend it got so bad I knew I had to dig in.

I went to my nearby parts store and bought 10 Bosch platinum tip plugs. Having not opened the hood in a while, since it had been purrin' like a kitten, I completely forgot that it did not have the regular set of wires. I searched online, found this forum, and read about these crazy little devices called "Coil on Plug" or COP. I got my ole 7mm socket and a variety of 3" and 7" extensions, removed the COPs, found the plugs hiding below, and began replacing the plugs. I took a break after the first five and then proceeded to complete the passenger side including the requisite "WTF" and assortment of expletives to the Ford engineers for the number 10 plug position. Having taken the blanket advice, I covered the hood latch and radiator with a blanket and a thick foam pad and had a 1 hour "hug fest" with my engine.

Sidebar... I was reminded of something this Big 3 auto executive once told me, "We design them so we can put them together, not for you to take them apart"

The old plugs looked fine and once all the plugs were changed and I ran to Home Depot to get the #@$! M5 x 25mm COP bolt I dropped in the engine somewhere, I cranked the engine and it still coughed like a dog choking on a flea. My "Service Engine Soon" light finally came on. I broke down and bought an OBDII reader and found it had 0171 and 0174 codes and was running lean on both banks. ( I say that like I really know what it means... it's what it said in the booklet that came with it. )

I thought the next step was to replace the PCV and once I found a parts store that carried it (couldn't understand that one), I easily replaced it and its infamous 90 degree hose. That hose and others looked okay, but it was looking like it was becoming brittle and had faint surface cracks, so I figured I might as well change it since I was in the neighborhood. I started the engine and it still had the shakes. BTW, I checked the PCV and it was bad, but not the main culprit. I had also just changed the air filter a couple of days prior, and checked the gas cap.

Next suspect was the fuel filter. Luckily my parts store is less than a mile from my house and I became very familiar with that distance over the next few days. I bought the filter and found its location under the driver's side door, mounted to the frame. You guessed it, I had to go back to the store and get the stupid little tool for disconnecting the fuel lines. My truck had been sitting overnight so there was very little pressure remaining on the line. Once I "rassled" a bit with the connectors, they easily popped off the ends of the filter. There was not much squirting so I thought I had removed it cleanly. uh... by the way... you might want to keep the filter level. Thinking I was "all that and two bags of chips" because I did not make a mess, I was wiggling out from under the truck when I tilted the filter just a hair and the gasoline inside reminded me of my good friend "gravity". I managed to direct it away from me, but got a nice splotch of petrol on the ground. The new filter easily popped in and I was done in a few minutes. I cleaned up a bit to remove my "eau de Exxon" and proceeded to start the engine. It still shook like shaved chihuahua in December.

So it was back to the forums and I read that it was probably the Idle Air Control (IAC) or the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor. It was off to the parts store to order the IAC. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I opened the air filter canister, removed the funnel on the intake that contains the MAF sensor, disconnected the harness and gave the little protrusion and its filaments a few squirts with some Carb cleaner spray.

I guess I couldn't get enough of my engine, so I gave it another hug and in the process removed the IAC while it wasn't looking... but then again neither was I, as I used my sense of touch to find and remove the two bolts holding it on that face the firewall. I went ahead and sprayed it out with carb cleaner and gave it a good cleaning. Once again saying Ford's name in vain, I contorted to replace it. I cranked it again to see if cleaning the MAF sensor and IAC had done the trick, but to no avail.

I got the new IAC in today and laid across my engine. For a second I thought it was glad to see me, but it turned out to be the hood latch. This time it was relatively easily to replace the IAC. I started the engine and it STILL was hesitating at startup and at idle. So I figured I'd give another shot to cleaning the MAF sensor. I squirted the MAF sensor with cleaner again and let it dry. This time while cleaning, I also gave a thorough inspection to the canister and intake. Everything looked fine except for the dangling harness where I had removed the internal funnel with the MAF sensor. I reassembled everything, turned the key and..... drum roll please... it STILL was hesitating. :-O Thoughts of four $60 oxygen sensors raced through my head and I think I threw up a little in my mouth.

But... I found and fixed the problem in about 3 seconds. What was it? The grommet that seals the opening where the MAF wiring harness comes in from the bottom had come loose and was hanging out of the canister. I slipped it back in, turned the key and the engine was purring again!! I was torn between the emotions of "D'oh" and "Woo-hoo." I suspect that was the problem all along, although the PCV definitely need changing.

The bill:

1. 10 Bosch Platinum Plugs $23.70
2. #@$! M5 x 25mm COP bolt $0.78
2. PCV valve $1.47
3. Generic replacement vacuum hose $4.58
4. Fuel Filter $6.35
5. Stupid Fuel Line Disconnector tool $4.78
5. OBD reader $98.00 (kept receipt )
6. Carb Cleaner $3.99
7. IAC $72.33
8. Not taking it to the dealer... priceless.

Hope you enjoy my anecdote and more importantly I hope another noobie like me finds it helpful.

Homie

mmm... Excursion

Last edited by Homer Simpson; 08-14-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:01 AM
PatsPOS
Elder User
Fun story...sorta like a fable insofar as there is a moral to the story: don't go throwing random sensors on the engine when you have a code reader! Well, I guess you COULD change every sensor, if your last name is Midas. I almost miss the days of cleaning points and replacing power valves, but when I have a rough-running engine these days, the code reader is pretty much the first tool I reach for.

Best of luck in future endeavors...
Pat

Old 08-15-2006, 09:54 AM
dbtx
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the chuckle Homie!

Your story sounds like me, everytime I take on a project. You've gotta peel the layers of onion off your problem, but it causes tears in the meantime!

Doug

Old 08-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Mr.Novice
Senior User
Homer,
I'm an expedition guy that was just checking out the Excursion forum out of curiousity, and I'm glad I did. I laughed out loud more than once while reading your post. Keep 'em coming, man.
And welcome to the forum!

MMMmmmm....Carb Cleaner.....

Old 08-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to FTE Homer!

Take the time to check out the read firsts at the top of this and every forum so you know what goes and what doesn't.

Glad you were able to get your truck running again.

You'll fit in just fine here.....

Old 08-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
What a great read! LOL!

Gotta say, though, that's the most expensive IAC I've ever heard about!

Old 08-16-2006, 08:07 AM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
P0171 & P0174 (banks 1 & 2 lean) when seen togeather are almost always caused by vacuum leaks upstream of the intake. As you finally discovered the MAF wiring harness gromett dissloged was causing a huge un-metered air leak. You are right, this was the culpript all along!!.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:33 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Vacume leaks are evil, but we have starting fluid to locate and fix them.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Homer Simpson
Freshman User
Smile BTW about the plugs

Oh, one note about the BOSCH Platinum spark plugs. I selected them because they were a reasonably priced replacement for the OEM plugs. When I compared them to the original plugs, I noticed that they have a longer thread than the OEM plugs which I hope will prevent shooting a plug like I have read about elsewhere in these forums.

I also got my recall notice regarding the Cruise Control... I think when I first got my truck the cruise control failed and it was replaced under warranty.

Overall I am thrilled with my Excursion, because it is a truck, not a "fat station wagon with big tires" like other SUVs on the road. Although I forked out a few more bux when I bought it, I knew it would be a long-term vehicle that I would keep long after the payments ended. So far, it has not disappointed me.

mmm... V10

-Homie

Old 08-22-2008, 12:32 AM
fordtruckster
Senior User
Homer Wow!
What a funny post. I was researching spark plug post and came across this one. Wow! LMAO! Very entertaining!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:40 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Stupid Fuel Line Disconnector tool $4.78"

This is the one that sent me over the edge!!!!

Oh, and welcome to FTE!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 07:35 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
Overall I am thrilled with my Excursion, because it is a truck, not a "fat station wagon with big tires" like other SUVs on the road.
Very good write-up! You write well and I enjoyed it. But yes, the X is nothing more than an overgrown station wagon, otherwise FoMoCo might've considered installing a truck's suspension beneath it.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:37 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Very entertaining post, still LMAO, but we must laugh at our frustrating moments or else we'd go crazy....