Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Electric fuel pump

Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 AM
lartross
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric fuel pump

I know I've seen articles on this forum about elec lift pumps, but, after two 2 hr sessions, I can't find them. My truck has an electric pump [I can't find pump pressure or gph rating on it] in series with the mech; between it and the filter. I understand this is not optimal. I don't know why it was installed there, if there was a problem or what. What I want to do is install an elec. pump near the tank switch. I've been reading about pumps and there are reliability issues with many of the universal pumps. Will someone who has had an electic for some time, in adverse climatic conditions, tell me what they've found to be reliable, how they installed it and where they got it, at what price? I do plan on bypassing my mechanical pump...can I leave it in place [unconnected] instead of trying to find a blank? Thank you, whoever you are, for your attention and response. Larry

Old 08-15-2006, 11:40 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You possibly can get by with less, but I went with a Holley red pump because I didn't want any problems. It runs about 7 psi, 97 gph flow, and has really been nice to have. I have had it in below zero temps with no problems. Sure is nice to be able to purge the air out of the filter by simply opening the schrader valve. You could just bypass the pump, but it would be best to find an old BB Chev cover and put on there so you don't have to worry about the diaphragm tearing and losing oil out the pump. Otherwise, you could take the pump arm off and leave the pump there as a dummy.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Pigeon
Junior User
I run the holley red as well. I installed it by the tank selector valve. electric pumps are better pushers than pullers so the farther back the better.you can get them out of summit for about $95 and the bbc fuel cover for about $10. They are very nice when it comes time to replace fuel filter.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:33 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't mention the fact of put the pump as close to the tank as you can, sounds like I set mine up the same way as Pigeon. I got mine off eBay for $45, it was a rebuilt, and has worked well.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:56 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I run a carter P4070... Don't remember the specs off hand, but, I've never had a lick of trouble with one. I've got mine sitting about 6" forward of where the tank valve should be....

Old 08-15-2006, 11:18 PM
lartross
Elder User
Thanks so much for the quick response. I've got a bid in on a Holley Red on Ebay! Hope I get it!

Search this Thread