1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

5 spd tranny in F100

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:56 PM
Cowman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rod, thanx for the link. Your email did not come thru but the link you posted works fine. Good info. I'll have to play around with the parts I have and see what I can work out.

AXracer, you mentioned a T56. Isn't the shifter of the T56 also located aft of the engine by about 26" or so? What did you do to mount that tranny in your truck?

We have a big swap meet coming up next weekend in Monroe, so I plan to see what I can find. I need a new clutch and flywheel to fit my early 302 (28oz imbalance factor) and possible a set of bucket seats.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:26 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
My Panel has bucket seats so the shifter location was not a problem. It would be with a bench seat. There is no alternate shifter location option for the T56.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Cowman
Senior User
I'm back again. Still trying to put this together. Rod(51fordfan), the link you posted (and thank you CaptCrunch for the same link) has been a big help.

http://www.inliners.org/Jack/T5tech.html

I have managed to install the S-10 speedo gear on the Mustang output shaft using the 0.027" thick shim around the shaft. In the link the author mentioned that he drilled a small hole to install the keeper spring for the gear. That part has me stumped. I've tried drilling on the old S-10 output shaft (it's already trashed) and I can't even make a scratch on it with my drill bits. Is there a secret to drilling case hardened shafts? I was going to do as the article recommended and drill the keeper hole and also JB Weld the shim and gear to the shaft. If I can get the speedo gear to go in correctly then everything else seems to be ready to go in the truck. I've posted a pic of the hybrid tranny in my gallery but the tranny does not yet have a speedo gear in it.
Any ideas on mounting the gear or drilling the hole?
Thanx guys....

Old 10-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Cowman, did I run into you a few years ago at the Supernationals in Pigeon Forge? I hope you get this 5 spd going as I want to do this in my 54.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:14 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
What is the hole diameter, and how deep do you need to go? Jewelers and dentists use solid carbide and diamond abrasive drills and burrs that will drill thru most anything if you keep them cool and use a light feed pressure, letting the tool do the work at it's own pace. They aren't excessively expensive at 5.00 -10.00. Check at dental, jewelry, or lapidary supply stores or www.riogrande.com or www.gesswein.com. If you have a good relationship with a dentist ask him if he has any used carbide burrs, he might be inclined to just give you a new one.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:23 PM
alanco
Senior User
How to install the gear

Originally Posted by Cowman
I'm back again. Still trying to put this together. Rod(51fordfan), the link you posted (and thank you CaptCrunch for the same link) has been a big help.

http://www.inliners.org/Jack/T5tech.html

I have managed to install the S-10 speedo gear on the Mustang output shaft using the 0.027" thick shim around the shaft. In the link the author mentioned that he drilled a small hole to install the keeper spring for the gear. That part has me stumped. I've tried drilling on the old S-10 output shaft (it's already trashed) and I can't even make a scratch on it with my drill bits. Is there a secret to drilling case hardened shafts? I was going to do as the article recommended and drill the keeper hole and also JB Weld the shim and gear to the shaft. If I can get the speedo gear to go in correctly then everything else seems to be ready to go in the truck. I've posted a pic of the hybrid tranny in my gallery but the tranny does not yet have a speedo gear in it.
Any ideas on mounting the gear or drilling the hole?
Thanx guys....
When you drill a surface hardened part, you have to heat the part red prior to drilling it. However you do not want to do it that way. What you want to do is use a good epoxy after cleaning and roughing up the shaft with emery paper. Using the shim stock that made the gear tight on the shaft, put the shim stock over the epoxy and put a hose clamp on the shim stock to hold it. Remove the clamp after the epoxy sets and you can tap the gear in place.

Regards,

Alanco

Old 10-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Cowman,

I tried to convert the T5 I'm installing. Mine is a 95 Mustang with the 1/2" longer input shaft which I had to use because I'm putting it on the back of an SHO engine. The S10 I got is about a 90 model and even though I can use the top of the tranny, the thrust assembly is different. The tail shaft didn't seem to fit. I put everything back original and am going to shape the shifter to give me enough clearance to shift. I may try a little more reasearch later.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Cowman
Senior User
AXRacer, Excellent idea. Wish I had thought of it last saturday when I was a dentist friend's house for a party. Guess I have an excuse to go visit again.
I only need to drill a 1/8" dia, 3/32" deep hole. Should be very doable with a dental bit.

Bikewrench, I was fortunate in that I combined 2 1988 tranny's. One was a WC Mustang and the other a NWC S-10. All the parts interchanged very well except the speedo gears, hence the need for a new speedo gear retainer clip hole. My output shaft is less than a 1/4" difference which is close enough. I posted a pic of the hybrid tranny in my gallery.

Again, thanx to all for your help.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 PM
av8ford
Junior User
I installed a WC T5 from a '93 Cobra in my '48 F-1 last year and have been very happy with the results. I wanted to retain the stock clutch linkage and would have preferred to use the Ford truck hogs head but it's about 3/4 inch too shallow to accommodate the Mustang input shaft, and I wasn't about to tear apart a perfectly good low-time transmission to cut the shaft down. Instead, I used a MAC'S S-10 adapter along with a Tardel Mustang adapter designed to bolt the box to a Ford passenger car bellhousing, which is deeper than the truck bellhousing.

This is an expensive way to go, with two adapters. Since then, someone is machining an adapter that's about 3/4 inch thick that can be bolted to the Ford hogs head. I've seen pictures of the adapted and thought I had captured contact information but apparently did not. If anyone knows of the fellow making this adapter I'd appreciate contact info.

The S-10 tailshaft housing and shifter solves the selector location problem. There's no way the original transmission crossmember can be easily modified to accept the T5, so the center has to be removed and a new crossmember relocated several inches back from the original.

Mike

Old 10-19-2006, 07:58 PM
F100Central
Junior User
This is another rather exepensive option, but the TKO 500 and 600's have 3 shifter mounting positions. The middle or front position might work with a bench seat. It requires a conversion kit to change the shifter position from the back (I'm almost sure). I have an article with some generalities on stick shift Tremec's at http://f100central.com/catalog/artic...articles_id=38

I'm trying to get info. out to people and am by no means a Tremec expert.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:14 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the guy that makes the adaptor that you use between the Hogshead and the S-10 T-5 trannu.

Dwight Bond at Second Chance Auto
second_chance @charter .net (remove spaces)

Old 10-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Cowman
Senior User
Alanco, If I cannot get it drill bit capable of drilling the shaft then my plan "B" was to do as you say and glue it in. Hope that is strong enough. Don't know what kind of loads I can expect on that part but don't really think they will be too high.
For those mentioning a Hogshead, I'm not sure what that is. I have a 302 with an AOD in the truck now.
The TKO500 would be a great option if I could find one at reasonable price. I'll just keep my eyes open and hope.
Good commetns everybody. Thanx for the info.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:46 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Cowman: hogshead = bellhousing
cwissmar: Thanks for the links! Following them lead to free download of the Tremec service manuals plus lots of other useful info on my T56.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:57 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Cowman:
Gesswein (link above) has diamond grit stick drills in 6 sizes, 0.75mm-2.5mm for 2.55 ea or 14.50 for a set of all six sizes.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:00 AM
Cowman
Senior User
AX, that looks like the ticket. If the dental bits don't work I think I'll try those. Thanx for the tip

Quick Reply: 5 spd tranny in F100