Illinois Chapter Join Chapter Leader: wpnaes

Teenagers with newer cars...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Patatoe1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teenagers with newer cars...

I was just wondering what some of you guys think about teenagers driving newer vehicles. I am 18 and I drive a 2001 F-150. I know pretty much everyone besides my closer friends think that my parents have purchased the truck for me, but that isn't the case. My mom did sign the paperwork for me because I bought it when I was 17. Have 3 and a half years to pay off still. The job I have pays pretty well, so that is where I am making my money for the truck.

I just don't like being put into the stereotypical teenager who is spoiled by his or her parents and has no respect for others.

So what would your impressions be if you saw me driving the truck?

Old 12-06-2005, 01:52 AM
Oval_obsessed
Elder User
I can relate. I bought my '94 when I was 19 brand new. My parents didn't help at all since I had a really good job, no college straight to work, that sucks. I know how people used to look at me. I have a lot of respect for kids like you that get stuff on their own. Too many spoiled brats out there. I remember kids at my schools would get their license and their parents would have a brand new car for them to drive to school in less than a week.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:35 AM
69 and 85
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of kids at my son's school get brand new and/or expensive cars - one of them even got a Viper. Within 4 hours of getting the Viper he lost control, went sideways, and hit a utility pole. He didn't get hurt, but the passenger was killed instantly.

http://www.theiowachannel.com/news/4280351/detail.html

Lots of lessons here ... it's not important what they think- it doesn't change the truth. It should be a good running, safe, and functional vehicle for you - THAT'S what is important!

Enjoy your truck and be careful.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Oval_obsessed
Elder User
17 year old with a Viper, that's asking for trouble. The first car I had in school was a '76 Ford Granada in 1992 and I drove the crap out of it. I can imagine what would of happen if I had a high HP car.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Patatoe1
Elder User
Originally Posted by 69 and 85
Lots of kids at my son's school get brand new and/or expensive cars - one of them even got a Viper. Within 4 hours of getting the Viper he lost control, went sideways, and hit a utility pole. He didn't get hurt, but the passenger was killed instantly.
''

Jesus. I see teenagers around here driving there souped (sp) Civics and Eagle Talons as if they were Vipers. I can't imagine what it would be like if anyone of them had a car like that.

On a side not though, I know that if I were to have purchased the Viper myself, I would have put a little bit more care into an investment like that.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:19 AM
69 and 85
Elder User
He's a nice kid, but wasn't experienced enough with the Viper. Ironically he and another friend were riding 4 wheelers and had a mishap - the other kid broke his neck. Fortunately he survived.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Patatoe1
Elder User
That happened around here too. A few kids I knew from high school were riding around on four wheelers. One tipped over and the girl riding broke her neck, unforunatly she did not survive.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:21 PM
whowey
Senior User
Originally Posted by Oval_obsessed
17 year old with a Viper, that's asking for trouble. The first car I had in school was a '76 Ford Granada in 1992 and I drove the crap out of it. I can imagine what would of happen if I had a high HP car.

We used to do burnouts in the Pamida/Eagle(where Aldi's and MoronZone is now) parking lot. There was a young kid on a crotch rocket, showing off killed right there on Galena a few years back. Did a wheelie' right into the back of a van.

For the young guys, simple. You don't want looked at like spoiled rich kids, don't behave like one. I don't know either of you personally, so I don't mean that in a 'I saw you' manner. It means, drive like you have a clue. Follow the safety rules you have been taught. It will go a long way to changing people's perceptions of you personally. And by all means, do not whine about 'Cinderella' liscensing.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Patatoe1
Elder User
Originally Posted by whowey
And by all means, do not whine about 'Cinderella' liscensing.
What do you mean by that?

Old 12-08-2005, 12:35 AM
Oval_obsessed
Elder User
I used to spend a ton of time in that parking lot back in the mid to late '90s. I'm wondering if I would know you whowey. I remember the one kid who was hauling major tail and broadsided a car. He had been doing that all summer long and it just caught up with him.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:24 AM
69 and 85
Elder User
In Iowa we have a graduated license program. I think you get a 1 year license at 16 and you can only drive so late at night. If you get a in a wreck you loose your license for 6 months... something like that. I assume that is what is meant by "Cinderella".

Old 12-09-2005, 05:09 PM
whowey
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69 and 85
In Iowa we have a graduated license program. I think you get a 1 year license at 16 and you can only drive so late at night. If you get a in a wreck you loose your license for 6 months... something like that. I assume that is what is meant by "Cinderella".
Exactly. The law in Illinois limits how many people can be in car, and how old they can be based on the drivers age. Plus there is a lower limit for traffic violations rather than the 3 in a calendar year.

Several years ago they removed the rule based on the time of day though. When I got my liscense so many years ago, it was 11 pm on school nights, and midnight on weekends. With no exceptions for work or such.

Old 12-09-2005, 05:11 PM
whowey
Senior User
Originally Posted by Oval_obsessed
I used to spend a ton of time in that parking lot back in the mid to late '90s. I'm wondering if I would know you whowey. I remember the one kid who was hauling major tail and broadsided a car. He had been doing that all summer long and it just caught up with him.

I used to drive a 63 Nova, with a Corvette motor. Candy apple red. I would have been there in the late 80's and early to mid 90's. That was before the 'cruising' ordinance there.

Old 12-10-2005, 08:49 AM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
My 17 year old daughter bought a 2003 ZX2 about the time of her 17th birthday. She works to pay for it but I had to co-sign because of her age. Some of her classmates assumed that I bought her a car and did not respect her car. She got a couple small scratches and 1 door ding right away. She let it be known that "Daddy didn't buy me this car". She has had no problems since. She takes very good care of it and you won't see it dirty in the summer time.
We all went to school with kids that had nice/new cars "handed" to them. They did not have to earn them so they had no respect for those cars and ruined them in record time. I made my mind up before I ever had kids, even if I won the frikkin Lotto, they would buy their own cars.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:46 AM
ChurchTurtle
Elder User
I gotta be careful here, but this is too good to not tell.

I know someone who was given a brand new car upon 16. Wrecked and totaled it. Mom and Dad brought the kid another brand new car. Kid had trouble with drugs and drinking. Lost license for a time. Was kicked out of school. Not sure if tried to get a GED or not. Got involved with someone and had a couple kids together. Then married someone else entirely. Now Mom and Dad have bought the kid a business.

Sometimes the new car is just another symptom of poor parentling. (By the way - if you're a working stiff and you're buying your vehicle or even if the folks made it available, but you aren't the stereotypical spoiled kid - then more power to you.) And if you think I'll do any business with the afforementioned kid, you're off your rocker.

Quick Reply: Teenagers with newer cars...