Notices
1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2005 Expedition, DVD-Player and Satellite Radio

Old 08-15-2006, 07:08 PM
apgarassoc
Senior User
apgarassoc is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you switch to another more current head unit (2005 or 2006), will it work?

Old 08-16-2006, 12:36 PM
rexster314
Senior User
rexster314 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by apgarassoc
If you switch to another more current head unit (2005 or 2006), will it work?
I have an 05 Expy EB

Rex

Old 08-16-2006, 01:57 PM
apgarassoc
Senior User
Thanks for the info - when you bought your SAT unit, was what you bought specific to an audio system already equipped with a DVD?

Old 08-16-2006, 02:08 PM
rexster314
Senior User
Originally Posted by apgarassoc
Thanks for the info - when you bought your SAT unit, was what you bought specific to an audio system already equipped with a DVD?
It's the factory kit that you would buy if you bought it from your Ford dealer for an Expedition, and yes, there are two separate kits; one for factory DVD and one without. One without is a no brainer, very simple install, the other one requires space to mount a separate black box to get the audio out of the DVD to the head unit. Usually about a 25-30$ difference in pricing

Rex

Old 08-17-2006, 08:04 AM
atl04expy
New User
atl04expy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Satellite Antenna

Originally Posted by kkester
WIth respect to the installation, how does the antenna get installed? Does it get drilled through the roof?

Kent Kester
Kent - I had my Ford dealer install the Ford XM kit in my 04Expy with the factory CD6 head unit. They routed the wire around the windshield inside the rubber seal (I didn't know that there was enough space to do that). At the top center of the windshield, the magnetic antenna sits on the roof. Occassionally the carwash will move it slightly...this leaves small scratches in the paint. I don't know whay they didn't use adhesive. Anyway, it works very well.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:01 AM
rexster314
Senior User
My antenna is mounted center point just above the third brake light. I opted to use the 3M tape supplied in the kit to make a mount that wouldn't move around and scratch the paint (somehow, when you temp mount it to the roof, the metal on metal sound grated on me). The small antenna wire is run under the door seal and moulding to the rear mounted receiver.

Rex

Old 08-17-2006, 11:07 AM
corvettej
New User
corvettej is starting off with a positive reputation.
Like I said before my sat radio and dvd can play at the same time. I tune the sat to 132(CNN news) and put in a dvd, make sure the infrared headsets are turned on. I enjoy the sat and my granddaugther enjoys her movies. Today I went outside and turn the sat on and got in the back seat with the wireless headset and could hear the movie plus when I raised one of the earcup up I could hear my sat play. It works!

Old 08-17-2006, 11:30 AM
apgarassoc
Senior User
Much appreciated, CorvetteJ! Looking back through your posts, you indicated that your Expedition is a 2003 and the DVD you have installed was not factory installed but is a Ford OEM product. Was your DVD install basically as if it was installed at the factory - using the DVD input on the head unit? Also, can you confirm that you're not using an FM modulator for the DVD or SAT signal?

Thanks again for testing that out and letting us all know. Did you find the SAT install to be fairly easy or is it a struggle?

Old 08-17-2006, 05:35 PM
corvettej
New User
The dvd is from Ford with Ford Logo on it, the part# 3L1Z-19G323-AA, it come with a FM Modulator, a remote, two wireless headset, the bracket, the necessary wire harness and the template with the instruction manual. Takes about 4 hours if you take your time, the remote turns the RF modulator on or off. You only need the RF modulator on if you want to pipe the sounds from the dvd through the audio system. The sirius kit comes with its own wire harness that plug into the back of the radio with two plugs(one large plug and one small plug) then the factory harness plug into it, there is no need for RF modulator, there is no splicing wires or anything. When you press the sat button it will go to Channel 184 (preview channel) then you call sirius to activate, smooth as a whistle. No engine noise or anything, no wires all over the place and the channel, artist, song title info is display on the HU using the "text" button, I hope this will clarify it a little.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:39 PM
paulconti21269
New User
paulconti21269 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I put my antenna inside the car on the dash. I used 2 sided tape to hold it on. Works great.

Paul

Old 08-18-2006, 02:18 PM
rexster314
Senior User
Originally Posted by corvettej
The dvd is from Ford with Ford Logo on it, the part# 3L1Z-19G323-AA, it come with a FM Modulator, a remote, two wireless headset, the bracket, the necessary wire harness and the template with the instruction manual. Takes about 4 hours if you take your time, the remote turns the RF modulator on or off. You only need the RF modulator on if you want to pipe the sounds from the dvd through the audio system. The sirius kit comes with its own wire harness that plug into the back of the radio with two plugs(one large plug and one small plug) then the factory harness plug into it, there is no need for RF modulator, there is no splicing wires or anything. When you press the sat button it will go to Channel 184 (preview channel) then you call sirius to activate, smooth as a whistle. No engine noise or anything, no wires all over the place and the channel, artist, song title info is display on the HU using the "text" button, I hope this will clarify it a little.
That's the key, if I read this right; the FM modulator for the DVD, since it's transmitting on an fm freq, instead of being piped in through the cable on the factory Sirius unit. The headunit just thinks its another fm signal, allowing you to listen to to Sirius and dvd at the same time

Rex

Old 08-19-2006, 10:54 AM
apgarassoc
Senior User
So the DVD is feeding through the FM radio via an FM modulator? That would explain how it still works in dual play - the FM radio is not seen as an external source so it can also play the SAT at the same time. Unfortunately, this still leaves you stuck with the problem of having to constantly change the FM modulator frequency as you drive through metropolitan areas that have a lot of FM frequencies in use.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:26 AM
corvettej
New User
No it doesn't, how many time in the metro are you looking at dvd's and the RF modulator is hard wired so you don't get any station interfere because it blocks the AM/FM frequency except for the one it set to. You are trying to read too much into this.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:31 AM
corvettej
New User
Smile

The car antenna is plug into the FM modulator then the FM Modulator is plug into the radio via the antenna plug. It cuts off the antenna feed from the car/truck, so no interfere.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:56 PM
apgarassoc
Senior User
Thanks. CorvetteJ - that makes a whole lot of sense now. And sounds like a good workaround to solve the problem of only being able to have one external source when using Dual Play. Since most of our Fords have the OEM DVD connected directly into the head, we would have have the SAT playing through the FM antenna line - whereas yours has the DVD playing through the FM antenna line. I'll have have to call Radios and More to see if their SAT package can be set up to feed in through the FM antenna line.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Expedition, DVD-Player and Satellite Radio

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.