Notices
1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2005 Expedition, DVD-Player and Satellite Radio

Old 08-10-2006, 10:04 PM
WillDog
Junior User
WillDog is starting off with a positive reputation.
By reading all of the posts above..............like I said guys, I've researched this thing forever and at length. There is NOT a Sirius or XM "behind-the-dash" available that allows the use of the factory DVD player & the satellite at the same time. Why have the satellite if you can't listen to it while the kids watch a movie? I will be the first in line to get one if they ever find a way to make it work.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:26 PM
apgarassoc
Senior User
apgarassoc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by corvettej
When we take a trip, I put on a movie for my grand daugther, she listen through the wireless headphone and we listen to the radio or cd.
CorvetteJ, when you say you can listen to the radio while she is listening to a DVD on the headphones, do you mean AM/FM radio or the SAT radio? I've always been told that it's not possible (SAT and DVD using Dual Play). If that does work with the aftermarket kit you bought, let me know where it came from because I'm buying one!

Thanks

Old 08-11-2006, 10:09 PM
corvettej
New User
corvettej is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well here is the info you requested

Radios And More Services 1-877-888-2225

Ford Sirius add on kit Made By:
Your Price: $225.00
NDA Shipping Charges: FREE!**
Part Number: 4068598
Category: Satellite Radio
Works With: 04 05 06 Ford satellite ready radios with DVD.
Mounting Style: N/A
Plug Style: Unknown
Color: Silver
Satellite-radio Ready? Yes
Notes: This kit works with vehicles with DVD Entertainment system, must also purchase additional harness 2U6F-14588-BA

Main Features for 4068598
Full vehicle warranty***
30-Day Money Back Guarantee!
Free NDA Shipping**!
Works with all 04 Ford CD6+ (Audiophile) or Lincoln Navigation radios
This kit works in vehicles without a DVD Entertainment system
A additional harness is needed 2U6F-14588-BA $50
Radio must have a SAT button
Comes with antenna, receiver, brackets & hardware
Optional Accessories
Phase II Long Harness
CD Changer Harness, Long Version

Old 08-12-2006, 12:18 PM
rexster314
Senior User
rexster314 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Let me just tell you guys, I JUST GOT THROUGH installing the factory Sirius kit with factory installed DVD/RSE and it ALL WORKS. You MUST have the proper cable and MUX box that allows everything to work as they should. There are 2 separate cables that are supplied with the kits, one for NO DVD and the other with the factory DVD.

Rex

Old 08-12-2006, 01:43 PM
apgarassoc
Senior User
Rexster - can you have the DVD playing on the headphones and the SAT playing on the speakers at the same time (dual play)? What year is your Expy and where did you get the Sirius kit?

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2006, 02:22 PM
WillDog
Junior User
Originally Posted by apgarassoc
Rexster - can you have the DVD playing on the headphones and the SAT playing on the speakers at the same time (dual play)?
Thanks!
THAT'S the question that I have been waiting to get answered.

ALSO....does it tune the SAT channel thru the factory head, & show the SAT channel on the display?

IF the answer to BOTH these questions is YES..........

WE GOT A WINNER!

Otherwise.......I'm still waiting for the proper wiring.

Last edited by WillDog; 08-12-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:08 PM
rexster314
Senior User
Originally Posted by WillDog
THAT'S the question that I have been waiting to get answered.

ALSO....does it tune the SAT channel thru the factory head, & show the SAT channel on the display?

IF the answer to BOTH these questions is YES..........

WE GOT A WINNER!

Otherwise.......I'm still waiting for the proper wiring.
I haven't tried both SAT and DVD at the same time, but both work, that was my main concern (we don't have kids, so back seat is usually vacant)
You CAN tune the Sirius channels through the factory head, and it shows the Sat Channel on the readout. Using the buttons on top of the unit allows you to scroll through the name of the song. It doesn't auto scroll through like an addon Sirius unit (I have one in my wife's car) but you can use the memory preset buttons just like your FM stations.

Rex

Old 08-12-2006, 03:45 PM
WillDog
Junior User
Originally Posted by rexster314
I haven't tried both SAT and DVD at the same time, but both work...........
........You CAN tune the Sirius channels through the factory head, and it shows the Sat Channel on the readout. Rex
Well.......that's ONE out of TWO......

At least we have an option to get rid of the "extra" tuner.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:26 PM
paulconti21269
New User
paulconti21269 is starting off with a positive reputation.
where did you mount the sirius box I put mine under the center consol. and mounted the antenna on the dash not on the roof. works great

Paul

Old 08-14-2006, 04:43 PM
apgarassoc
Senior User
CorvetteJ, Thanks for the ordering info! Where you able to try and run the SAT and DVD at the same time in Dual-Play mode and did it work?

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2006, 05:38 PM
rexster314
Senior User
Guys, running the Sat and DVD at same time is NOT possible, you will get an error message in the head unit. Everything else works, and works great, you can do sat and fm running dual mode and every other combination as far as I know will work, just not sat and dvd. it's an issue apparently Ford knows about. I have a call into Visteon to see if there's any fix for this problem. Myself, I don't really care, since I don't have any "little people" that might want to look and Mickey and Minnie, and adults don't want to do DVD's. I just wanted Sat/Sirius, and that's what I got; it would be nice if everything worked like it should, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
I did the install according to factory install sheet, antenna is mounted in center of rear of roof, almost out of sight for most people

Rex

Old 08-15-2006, 03:39 PM
apgarassoc
Senior User
Reply from Radios and More

Well, I decided to e-mail the customer service department at Radios and More to ask them this exact question:

The stock radio in my 2004 Expedition has a "dual play" feature that allows you to have one audio source (like a DVD) playing on the wireless headphones and another audio source playing on the front speakers. However, I've been told that the radio is set up such that you can't have use the SAT radio and the DVD player together in "dual play" mode - something about the radio only being able to have one "external source" in dual play mode and that both the DVD player and SAT are seen as "external sources". This doesn't work for me as on long trips (with the kids watching a DVD using the headphones) I'd want to be listening to the SAT radio. Do you know if this is true (DVD and SAT can't be used together in Dual Play mode)? I love to add the SAT feature to the radio but don't want to drop the dough on it if it won't work the way I need it to.

The response I got back from them today was:

Not so part # 4068598 has a switching modulethat will allow both to work at the same time.

Maybe that is the reason for the DVD-specific SAT radio option that they sell - who knows. I'm not sure I'm anxious enough (i.e. $275) to try it without having someone else verify what the vendor is saying. Any opinions?

Old 08-15-2006, 04:49 PM
rexster314
Senior User
I'm at work but I sent a query to Visteon yesterday, maker of the headunit AND satellite receiver this morning. They advised me that there is NO workaround for this problem. The only switch I know of allows the audio from the dvd to play through the radio once the satellite system is installed. Otherwise you won't have any sound from the DVD. That's what the special harness and black box is for that comes with install kits for factory DVD.

Rex

Old 08-15-2006, 06:44 PM
rexster314
Senior User
Here's Visteon's response to my query:

Unfortunately - you are experiencing a "shared resource conflict". The
satellite radio and the DVD player "can not" operate at the same time. Presently, there is no work around.

1-800-Visteon
Customer Service - Aftermarket
[email protected]

Old 08-15-2006, 07:07 PM
apgarassoc
Senior User
Response to same quesry from Visteon Distributor

Below is the response to the same question when posed to another reseller:

The sat won't work with dual play. your information is correct.
Sam
S.P.L. ELECTRONIC
www.oem-auto-accessory.com
1-866-380-0529

I'm bummin'!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Expedition, DVD-Player and Satellite Radio

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.