Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I removed my external trans filter....

Old 07-27-2006, 10:50 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
I removed my external trans filter....

My external trans filter is now removed. No problems with it at all, but Brian said he wasn't a fan of them on his transmissions. And I figure the trans is his baby so what he says goes. His concern is that it's an added restriction, and with the pump mods he does to increase flow, I don't want to go against what he says.

There's actually more to it than that. Some of you may know (although prob not many) that about a month ago my truck was stalling when I tried to go in reverse. This was only 3 weeks after the trans was built. So, I called Brian and he told me to unhook the external filter to be sure it wasn't restricting flow. So, I unhooked the lines and capped them off to see if it helped. It didn't. I drove down to BTS the next morning to have it looked at. Turned out the gear in the pump was pretty galled up and not flowing enough fluid -- reverse somehow needs more fluid than any of the forward gears. Brian doesn't do anything to the gear in the pump, and he was pretty stumped by it. It's something that never has happend to any of his transmissions before. And he puts in new pumps when he builds the transmissions, so the pump was a brand new Ford unit. Even when I was talking with him this past weekend, he doesn't know why the pump failed. The only thing we can figure is the tolerances were out of spec when it was new. Anyway, Brian replaced the pump with an new one, installed another new TC, and went through the rest of the trans again to be sure nothing was wrong (it all checked out ok). A few hours later I was back on my way. Obviously no charge. That's just the way he does business.

While I was down there getting the pump replaced, he told me that he'd rather not have the external filter back on. So, it's been removed and sitting in a box. I haven't noticed any difference in the way the trans runs or trans temp differences.

Just keeping you all updated. I guess I'll be selling the filter setup now, since I'm not using it anymore, which kind of sucks since I spent about $200 on it just a few months ago.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:18 AM
SprintRacer26
Senior User
SprintRacer26 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What you want for the filter kit? This was something I was planning on doing in the near future.

PM me if you dont want to post prices here.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:04 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
i did remember seeing it under your truck when i looked under there. i was going to ask about it soon since you said it wasn't hooked up. im interested. does the plastic zip-lock baggie come with it?

Old 07-28-2006, 08:00 AM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
RAMPAGE_F350 has a very good reputation on FTE.RAMPAGE_F350 has a very good reputation on FTE.RAMPAGE_F350 has a very good reputation on FTE.
When I ordered my BTS valve body, I asked Cale about that very thing. He talked me out of getting one as well. I want to get as much out of my stock tranny as I can, its already predestined to go out before anything else. However, 152,000 miles on the stock tranny and T/C ain't bad. Last year when I did the Sonnax I changed the fluid and filter, this year when I did the vlave body replacement I changed the fluid and filter.
I'm thinking: change the fluid every year and the filter every-other year.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:17 AM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
SprintRacer and Kris, you've both got PM's coming. I don't believe that site rules allow for prices to be posted here.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by jtharvey
SprintRacer and Kris, you've both got PM's coming. I don't believe that site rules allow for prices to be posted here.
Right you are, that's why I was about to remind you PM each other if you wanted to discuss the sale. But you've all got it so no worries.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:41 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
PSNut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Don't sell that filter yet!

JT,
You can probably setup that filter for a parallel flow
allowing constant pressure. Just have to reconfigure flow with a T in the lines. With all due respect to Brian at BTS i was reading about a parallel setup using the restriction from the coolers to force flow into the filter and returning flow to the tranny pan.
Here's some info from Ralph Wood on a possible setup:
I quote Ralph from a post at BITOG forum:
"I haven't done it yet but I'll bet you could put a tee in one of the fluid lines to the cooler for pressure and return the fluid to the oil pan with a self tapping hollow bolt to a drain plug kit from the auto parts store. On the fluid lines that are 3/8" and smaller you can drill the MG-60 with a 7/32" element bypass. You can remove the orifice if equipped and reach in with a drill bit and drill the wall that you see when looking in the out port. Then you could just hook it up in series with the oil cooler. You could do that with the larger fluid lines if you know what size to drill the element bypass orifice. One of the advantages of the MG-60 is the filter doesn't drain at shut down.
The MG-60 filters from the bottom up. To a Frantz user it would be the same as putting the Frantz upside down. It is messier to change than the Frantz or Motor Guard would be in high under the hood but after you get the transmission clean you don't need to change it very often. I wouldn't fool with the little mickey mouse transmission filters. If I didn't require submicronic filtration I would install a Perma-Cool transmission filter kit and screw on the spin on filter of my choice. An Amsoil user could screw on an Amsoil filter that fits a 3/4_16 filter mount. Because of the lower flow rate the filter will work better than it will on the engine."
Also, keep this info in mind from SAE: quote from another
post:"According to SAE 2001-01-0867 we can expect an absolute 2 micron bypass filter to remove several orders of magnitude of transmission fluid contaminants compared to a conventional automatic transmission.If I read the charts right this implies a 300% improvement in the lifespan of the transmission."
Nut

Old 07-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Dually02
Senior User
Dually02 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey guy's, I have this unit on my 02 F350. It hooks into the return line from the trans cooler. http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=49

Old 07-31-2006, 12:48 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Dually02
Hey guy's, I have this unit on my 02 F350. It hooks into the return line from the trans cooler. http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=49
Hey...i believe
that's the same one JT removed. It's working as a series fed unit NOT in parallel and can cause restriction on the pressure line.
Nut

Old 07-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Dually02
Senior User
Dually02 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Are you telling me that I may hurt my trans?

Old 07-31-2006, 03:10 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
I don't think it will hurt a stock trans at all. The reason (I'm guessing) that Brian suggested to remove it is he modifies the pump for greater flow. In that case, he just doesn't want any more restriction than necessary. Also remember that these transmissions have a bypass tube in them that keeps some fluid flowing through them at all times. This is in case say the cooler got completely clogged up, the tail section of the trans would not be starved for fluid.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:36 PM
warrens250
Senior User
warrens250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know from experience that pulling a heavy 5th wheel around these mountains will run the transmission temperature up past where you want to be. I just put a Tru-cool on my 02 in series with the OEM two filters. Then I had an attack of concern about the very subject you've been discussing. I now have an email in to Brian asking for his advice. I hope its ok; I don't want to fry my original tranny at less than 30,000 miles just so I can go get a BTS.
Warren

Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 PM
yellow401
Elder User
yellow401 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey Jeremy great info, thanks! I was considering buying one yesterday when I ordered my coolant filter setup, but thought I better wait and let Brian deal with that when I get my BTS tranny! (It's comming real soon! Can't wait-I think about it daily! ) Good to know I don't need one!

On a side note, why did Brian install a new TC? ($1100?? or so is not a cheap, small replacement) Wonder what he does with old ones like the one he took out of yours? Sure don't want a rebuilt one going in my truck. LOL! Thanks!

Old 07-31-2006, 10:04 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
The old TC had some discoloration where it slides into the pump, due to excessive heat. It got sent back to PI to be see if there was a problem with it. I believe that all of the PI TC's he takes out get sent back to PI for examination.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:57 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Any thoughts on my post #7? I did some research on this
consideration about the possible problems using a Tranny filter.
Nut

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I removed my external trans filter....

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.