RPM Limiter on a 2001 3.0 FFV

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 12:21 PM
RoushBlownmotors
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RPM Limiter on a 2001 3.0 FFV

2001 Ranger with 3.0 FFV, With the transmission in park, reving the engine, it only goes to 3,000 RPM and then goes up down, up down on the revs as if a RMP limiter is engaging thru the PCM. Does This Sound Normal? What is the purpose of this if normal?

Old 08-31-2006, 01:13 PM
wintremute
Elder User
It is a rev limiter built in to the computer. You can't remove it without a chip.
Don't ask me why, but it's there. I hate it and I also hate the governor that kicks in at 90.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:12 AM
RoushBlownmotors
New User
Thanks for the reply

RBM

Old 09-02-2006, 11:27 PM
TBuzz
New User
I'm working on 3.0L Ranger with similar symptoms. However I think it might be bad cps rather than rev limiter, as it also shows up as bad 'bucking' anytime routine driving results in revs reaching 3,000 rpm.
I realize that this may sound consistent with the idea of a rev limiter, but 3,000 rpm is shift point from 1st>2nd with auto. trans. and in my case it feels like the engine is being repeatedly switched off then back on at this shift point and above. It occurs also at any speed when accelerator is depressed to engage passing gear, i.e. revs won't go over 3,000 rpm and engine momentarily shuts down until revs drop back to <3,000.
I'll know tomorrow when I pull cps and look at it.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:18 PM
desrcr
Senior User
Originally Posted by RoushBlownmotors
2001 Ranger with 3.0 FFV, With the transmission in park, reving the engine, it only goes to 3,000 RPM and then goes up down, up down on the revs as if a RMP limiter is engaging thru the PCM. Does This Sound Normal? What is the purpose of this if normal?
My truck will easy pass that, I tow granite slabs up Cajon pass (california 15 frwy) revving beyond 4k.
I know some who use these trucks for street legal class racing in the desert. They bypass the rev limiter somehow,but they are also highly moded (most are 4.0 as well).
That being said, rev limiters are there to keep the engine within safe operating peramiters. Trying bypass the rev limiter will only decrease engine life.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:10 PM
b69bama69
Freshman User
i recently bought a 01 ranger xlt with the 3.0 auto and i am having the same problem when driving down the road, have you been able to solve it or have any info you can give me to help me out

Old 01-28-2007, 08:41 PM
beedevil1973
Junior User
has anyone figured out the problem yet because i have a 99 windstar doing the same thing. at 3000 rpm going down the road it just starts jumping and bucking like the engine is being turned on and off.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:16 PM
TBuzz
New User
Sorry, but I'm not much help any longer. My daughter says the problem "went away" and she's unable to induce it regardless of how she tries. Sorry I can't be of any more help.
Regards,
TBuzz

Old 01-30-2007, 09:32 PM
RoushBlownmotors
New User
Exclamation Monetary Compensation.....

Thru an attorney, I was successful in getting monetary compensation from Ford Motor Company concerning the engine problems I was having with this 2001 Ranger XLT 3.0 FFV.

After several attempts by the dealership to repair this vehicle,
First repair attempt at rough idle/engine miss was a reflash of the PCM, TSB 01-10-3. This did not fix the problem. Seatbelt tensoiner recall 01S21, the technician broke the seatbelt reatainer and it went right back into the shop the same day to repair this.

Second attempt at rough idle/engine miss was BG fuel induction cleaning of the injectors, replacing the sparkplug wires (I was told there were mismatched) (Well they are on a new truck the colors are black boot, gray boot and brown boot all on the same side of the engine), and fuel filter and sparkplugs were replaced by myself. This is not my first mechanical repair, I rebuilt a 351 Cleveland engine from the bottom up back in the 1980's. After that build, this car would run 120 MPH easy. '71 Mustang fastback.

Before this service an oil leak had developed and the torque converter seal on the transmission was replaced. My question to the service advisor was how does engine oil go into the transmission and cause a leak? I know engine oil doesn't go to the transmission. Upon pickup of the vehicle after servicing, oil was still leaking a large amount from the engine. I told the service advisor about this and was told "If the tech says it is fixed then it is fixed, all cars leak a little oil. Drive it home and let the residual oil burn off from the repair"

I drove it home and it was still leaking at a large rate drip, drip, drip, while running.
I took it back about 80 miles later, complaining of the oil leak and rough idle/engine miss. 3rd attempt to repair, This time the KOER self test and power balance test were preformed. Tech wrote "no missfire could not verify customer concerns at this time". The oil pan gasket and rear main engine seal were replaced this time. Tech wrote "No leaks at this time". Upon vehicle pickup, the service advisor dissapeared and could not be found by dealership staff. The vehicle was still leaking oil and engine missfiring. I found the service advisor hiding in a sales man's office all by himself up against the wall so he could not be seen. He said he was getting some coffee and didn't hear the pages for his name.
I take him to the vehicle and show him oil leaking onto clean cardboard, drip, drip, drip, he asks me If I am shure that was clean cardboard under the vehicle, I assure him it was. He walks off and finds a better hiding place, for he cannot be found, I am told he had to leave the dealership.
The service manager is not there nor the Dealership Manager,
Mad as heck by this time, I leave.

I return a week later complaining of the oil still leaking and the engine misfire/ rough idle. 4th attempt to repair, They replace the oil pan gasket again, and perform a injector flow test and power balance test. This time the tech wrote " Cannot find engine miss" no comments on oil leak.
I speak to the Service Manager this time and ask what did they finally find cause the oil leak had stopped. I was told it was a pinched oil pan gasket.
The misfire was still present. I was told that the dealership couldn't just keep on replacing parts until they found the misfire, I would have to start paying diagnosis fees until the problem was found.
I have a meeting with the dealership manger and tell him of what all has been going on. He says the only thing he can do for me is give me the employee price on a new vehicle and pay off my vehicle. Of course the deal is higher than what the MSRP is. No deal just jerking on my chain.

At this point I decided to retain the services of an attorney.

After over 9 months of battling FMC, I have won my suit against Ford Motor Company over this 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0 FFV and got $6,000 and am selling this vehicle with knowlege of all repairs to anyone who wants it for a cheap price.

Amazingly, ever time I needed service on my F250 Lariat PowerStroke CrewCab 4x4, before I purchased the Ranger, this dealership preformed every service flawlessly and to the letter of my satisfaction.

I take it they don't care about customer service when you buy a cheaper than $30,000 vehicle from them.

BTW, this dealership "SALE FORD" is no longer in business.

Last edited by RoushBlownmotors; 01-30-2007 at 09:52 PM.