1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Tire Pressure sensors TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 03:11 PM
llaugerm
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skauber
Did you watch the video posted right above your post? Not all TPMS systems need that TPMS programming tool. There are three ways to program sensors on Ford vehicles:

1. Let some air out of the tire being trained (shouldn't take too much before the horn beeps)

2. Use a strong magnet to trigger the sensor. There is a Motorcraft OEM magnet you can buy, but people has been using anything from neodymium magnets, hard drive magnets, speaker magnets, and so on. As long as it's strong enough and you get close enough to the stem, it should honk the horn to confirm the trained sensor.

3. Using this TPMS19 tool. I believe Expedition and Navigator do not use this tool.
First of all, thank you for your reply. I watched that video many times. I ordered the magnet today to see if that does it. I was able to program some other sensors with the TPMS19 tool, but they failed after a few months and they didn't have warranty. Therefore, I decided to change all 4. Now it doesn't even trigger the sensor after a while the vehicle exits the relearn mode. Hopefully the Magnet will do it.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:35 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you try to let some air out?

Old 04-06-2017, 04:37 PM
llaugerm
Freshman User
Did you try to let some air out?
No I haven't tried the air out, but that's a good idea. I'll try that next to see how it goes. I'll keep you post it.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:32 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Lincoln Navigator (2003 - 2006) TPMS Reset Procedure

1. Inflate all tires to the pressure listed on tire placard.
2. Turn ignition cycle to OFF.
3. Cycle ignition from OFF to RUN position 3 times, ending in RUN position.
4. Press and release brake pedal.
5. Turn ignition cycle to OFF.
6. Cycle ignition from OFF to RUN position 3 times, ending in RUN position.
7. Horn will sound once and TPMS telltale will blink once train mode is initiated. If equipped with message center, it will TRAIN LF TIRE. Place relearn magnet on LF sensor until horn sounds.
8. Proceed as in step 6 for the next 3 sensors in the following order: RF, RR, LR.
9. After training LR, the horn will sound and message center will display TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE, if equipped.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:56 AM
llaugerm
Freshman User
Originally Posted by alloro
Lincoln Navigator (2003 - 2006) TPMS Reset Procedure

1. Inflate all tires to the pressure listed on tire placard.
2. Turn ignition cycle to OFF.
3. Cycle ignition from OFF to RUN position 3 times, ending in RUN position.
4. Press and release brake pedal.
5. Turn ignition cycle to OFF.
6. Cycle ignition from OFF to RUN position 3 times, ending in RUN position.
7. Horn will sound once and TPMS telltale will blink once train mode is initiated. If equipped with message center, it will TRAIN LF TIRE. Place relearn magnet on LF sensor until horn sounds.
8. Proceed as in step 6 for the next 3 sensors in the following order: RF, RR, LR.
9. After training LR, the horn will sound and message center will display TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE, if equipped.
Thank you all for your inputs. I have trained the sensors using a big speaker magnet. The TPMS19 tool didn't work this time to wake up the sensor. Everything is great now.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:36 PM
Thesolarguy
New User
TPMS-33 Training

Have read all of the threads related to the use of either a magnet or the Ford TPMS-19 tool, but there seems to be a hole I fall into with the new blue Ford TPMS-33 OEM sensors I just purchased for my 2005 Expedition, and could use some advice.

The Ford instructions with the sensors say "Issue: The sensor in this kit is an updated version of the part specifically designed for your vehicle. Sensors can't be trained with magnet tool #204-324".

"1- Use either training tool 204-363 or 204-D081."

"2- Both of these tools are designed to work with previous versions of the sensor."

i looked up the 204-D081 tool on the net; it supercedes 204-363 and costs in the $350-400 range, not exactly a DIY friendly price for something I'll use once! It appears to operate via RF signals rather than any sort of magnetism.

So the question is, will the Ford TPMS-19 RF transmitter work with these sensors? The TPMS-19 is spec'd for 2007 and up Expeditions, which use a different sensor but apparently operate at the same frequency.

Alternately, will these sensors train using the tire pressure method? Getting new tires mounted this week and wish to install the new sensors as I'm sure the old ones are about dead; don't want to chance ruining the new ones with the wrong tool. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-17-2017, 09:41 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by Thesolarguy
Getting new tires mounted this week and wish to install the new sensors as I'm sure the old ones are about dead; don't want to chance ruining the new ones with the wrong tool. Thanks in advance!
The tire shop installing the tires should have the necessary tool to activate and program the sensors.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Thesolarguy
Have read all of the threads related to the use of either a magnet or the Ford TPMS-19 tool, but there seems to be a hole I fall into with the new blue Ford TPMS-33 OEM sensors I just purchased for my 2005 Expedition, and could use some advice.

The Ford instructions with the sensors say "Issue: The sensor in this kit is an updated version of the part specifically designed for your vehicle. Sensors can't be trained with magnet tool #204-324".

"1- Use either training tool 204-363 or 204-D081."

"2- Both of these tools are designed to work with previous versions of the sensor."

i looked up the 204-D081 tool on the net; it supercedes 204-363 and costs in the $350-400 range, not exactly a DIY friendly price for something I'll use once! It appears to operate via RF signals rather than any sort of magnetism.

So the question is, will the Ford TPMS-19 RF transmitter work with these sensors? The TPMS-19 is spec'd for 2007 and up Expeditions, which use a different sensor but apparently operate at the same frequency.

Alternately, will these sensors train using the tire pressure method? Getting new tires mounted this week and wish to install the new sensors as I'm sure the old ones are about dead; don't want to chance ruining the new ones with the wrong tool. Thanks in advance!
I believe the new "magnetless" sensors use the TMPS19 tool, which cost about 30-40 bucks or so. There are only three ways to do these sensors, according to the youtube video posted in this thread from a Ford tech, and that is:

1. Magnet
2. TPMS-19
3. Let some air out of the tire.

If 1 and 3 doesn't work, it should work with the TPMS-19 tool

Old 09-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Thesolarguy
New User
I believe the new "magnetless" sensors use the TMPS19 tool, which cost about 30-40 bucks or so. There are only three ways to do these sensors, according to the youtube video posted in this thread from a Ford tech, and that is:

1. Magnet
2. TPMS-19
3. Let some air out of the tire.

If 1 and 3 doesn't work, it should work with the TPMS-19 tool
Thanks for your replies. I've ordered a TPMS-19 and will post results after I give it a go. As far as I can tell by reading the manual the recommended Ford tool is the fancy version of the TPMS-19; in addition to being an RF training tool you're able to read the sensors for battery life, date code, S/Ns, PSI and the like, and is universal across vehicle lines. Pretty sure the TPMS-19 RF training function is the same.

Sort of like a basic OBD II code reader vs AE; can get you to the same place but you're not going to get as much info.

As far as my local tire shop having the proper tools, I live in a tiny town without a modern garage (nearest is 100 miles away) so I source my own tires and work with a local guy who has mounting & balancing equipment. I bring whatever other tools, techniques & knowledge needed. He wasn't even familiar with the purpose of the red/yellow dots tire manufacturers use to indicate static & dynamic balance points until I made him aware of them some years ago; then he was amazed at how much easier it is to obtain good balance!

After 45 years of working on vehicles there's always something new to learn.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:39 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Watching this......

I replaced all 4 TPMS sensors on my new to me 2006 Navigator earlier this year with real Ford pieces. I have tried the magnet trick dozens of times with progressively stronger magnets and size. No luck.

I then tried the tire pressure method. It sort of worked 2 out of 10 times when the pressure dropped to ~18 PSI on one tire. I ended up with a Low Pressure warning and the Tire Pressure Monitor Fault message.

I even purchased a used VSM to eliminate that as a cause. No worky as well.

I have FORScan and a OBDLink MX scan tool. I set it up to read tire related information. I find it odd that none of the tires are reporting any pressure readings or Alive Status. One would think basic information would be getting to the VSM and onto the bus even though the system has not been "trained".

If the TPMS19 is the winning ticket I'll get one on order.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:38 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Well, the system has to recognize the sensors before it will accept the signal as "good data", hence the need to train them. Apparently the newer revisions of the sensors for Expeditions in the 05-06 model years don't accept magnets as a "wake up call" anymore and has to be prompted with that TPMS-19 tool. Not sure why they did that, probably saved them a few cents on not having to put a read switch in there or something for the magnet activation...

I replaced all 4 on my '05 as well, but I bought them from china. It was 65 bucks shipped for all 4, original OEM sensors. Listing said "new old stock", but it looked more like used/salvaged sensors from a crashed vehicle or something but they all worked. They were of the old revision which still worked with magnet, so I didn't have a need for the TPMS-19 tool so far.

One thing I'd like to find out is how to enable the 5th sensor on the system. The TPMS system for the 05-06 supported up to 5 sensors, but it would be set to either 4 or 5 at the factory depending on trim level and ordered options. I'd love to enable the 5th and throw a sensor in the spare....

Old 09-20-2017, 11:47 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by rla2005
I find it odd that none of the tires are reporting any pressure readings or Alive Status.
The sensors have to be activated (turned on) with a TMPS tool before being installed, were they?

Old 09-20-2017, 12:30 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
I do not have a TPMS 19 tool, but I do have an assortment of magnets now.

Everything I read stated the TPMS sensors were triggered on (Alive Status) by rolling/movement. Apparently the initial process is activating them by one of the three mentioned methods.

My expectation was at least being able to see if the sensor would go to Alive mode and some sort of pressure reading after driving/moving the vehicle using my scan application. I have never dealt with new TPMS sensors on these vehicles. My experience has been with existing ones. And those were magnet triggered.

Anxiously waiting to see if the other poster reports back on how the TPMS 19 tool worked on their vehicle. It has to be the missing link. I have tried everything except going to the stealership or purchasing the high dollar tool. I read about the TPMS 19, but was not sure it was what I needed. Wifey was already ticked about how much money I had spent on getting the system to work with nothing to show for it.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:55 PM
Thesolarguy
New User
TPMS19 DId NOT Work 👎🏻

Originally Posted by rla2005
I do not have a TPMS 19 tool, but I do have an assortment of magnets now.

Everything I read stated the TPMS sensors were triggered on (Alive Status) by rolling/movement. Apparently the initial process is activating them by one of the three mentioned methods.

My expectation was at least being able to see if the sensor would go to Alive mode and some sort of pressure reading after driving/moving the vehicle using my scan application. I have never dealt with new TPMS sensors on these vehicles. My experience has been with existing ones. And those were magnet triggered.

Anxiously waiting to see if the other poster reports back on how the TPMS 19 tool worked on their vehicle. It has to be the missing link. I have tried everything except going to the stealership or purchasing the high dollar tool. I read about the TPMS 19, but was not sure it was what I needed. Wifey was already ticked about how much money I had spent on getting the system to work with nothing to show for it.
Got everything mounted up with the new sensors, vehicle entered training mode but the TPMS-19 did nothing at all. Neither did magnets, lowering tire pressure or doing the Watutsi dance. Even tried a new sensor not mounted in a tire, nothing,

The poster above who mentioned there are the only 3 ways to train the TPM Sensor is incorrect - there is a 4th way, which the Ford service procedure for the 2004-2006 Expy specifically calls out, and it involves the big-buck Rotunda TPMS tool, This is actually an ATEQ tool which is universal to all known sensors. Once I get near civilization,going to try a tire dealer in hopes they might have this tool, and if not, a dealership. Since the tool is very universal any dealership MIGHT do, this is not actually a Ford specific tool.

https://www.rotundatechtools.com/rotunda/Tools/Brand-Categories/ATEQ/ATQVT36-0000/p/ATQVT36-0000

Old 10-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Thanks for the feedback, so it seems the information in the video from the Ford tech is incorrect then. He specifically said in that video that there are only 3 methods to train using OEM sensors, and new sensors no longer accept magnets, but will require the TPMS 19 tool. It's probably inevitable that I'll have to deal with this in the future as well, depending if I can find another set of "new old stock" from china.....

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure sensors TPMS