Daytona's All Sports Bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:39 PM
TurboTuna
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytona's All Sports Bar

Hello folks,

My family and I were on the return trip home from our vacation this year and we stayed in Des Moines, Iowa. Located right next to our hotel was Daytona's All Sports Bar. We got some take-out from there and the food was good and portions were big. A word of caution to those who don't know: don't get the Drag Car pizza unless you wish to have a flaming ********* in the morning. It was hot and spicy as advertised but I paid the price. But enough about the food.

My main interest and reason for posting was the custom, forgive the term, "Monster" truck chained to the ground outside the restauraunt. I was hoping someone here might have some knowlege of the truck. I was interested in what components were used (i.e. axles, tires, steering, etc.) in the build. I realize this may be a cold trail but I figured I would ask.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:05 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if it's the same one I am thinking about (haven't been up there in about a year) it's a red ford ranger with 2.5ton rockies, and a 460 ford C6 but I don't remember what Tcase it has. I don't think it's anything really wild though.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:10 AM
TurboTuna
Freshman User
monsterbaby,

It is red but the composite body is that of an F-series. Maybe they could have changed it? The pictures I have would reveal more detail and help me illustrate things further. The engine and transmission look as you described them. The axles are what struck me as unique. They looked like Ford 9 inchers with the pinion shaft facing up as opposed to horizontally. The axles also had hydraulic steering mounted for 4 wheel steer. The brakes were mounted on the driveshafts. It probably wasn't a real high jumper like trucks you see on Speedvision's coverage of the USHRA Monster Jam. I would guess it was most likely for small local events. What are 2.5 ton "rockies"? I am assuming the tires?

Old 07-18-2006, 12:36 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sure does sound like Rockwell axles... they may have just thrown another body on it...

Old 07-18-2006, 01:25 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboTuna
monsterbaby, What are 2.5 ton "rockies"? I am assuming the tires?
2.5ton rockies aka rockwells, aka duece n half axles are the axles used in the 2.5 ton military trucks they are a top loader type axle. they look like this.

And they might just have put a composite F150 body from one of the old monster trucks on it, those bodies come off with just a couple of pins. Truth be told I don't know if that truck is used at all, I have never heard of them actually doing anything with it, it's just for show as far as I know.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:49 PM
TurboTuna
Freshman User
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
2.5ton rockies aka rockwells, aka duece n half axles are the axles used in the 2.5 ton military trucks they are a top loader type axle. they look like this.
And they might just have put a composite F150 body from one of the old monster trucks on it, those bodies come off with just a couple of pins. Truth be told I don't know if that truck is used at all, I have never heard of them actually doing anything with it, it's just for show as far as I know.
Well I feel stupid. But that looks like what they used. In my pictures, the axles are mounted as they are in your pics with the driveshaft on one side and the disc brakes on the other.

Seems like waste to have that much hardware just wasting away in that truck. You can already tell that some pieces have been stolen.

Thanks again for your help.