N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

What's the word on smog?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 11:11 AM
quehele
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the word on smog?

Hello guys. Has anyone heard what the state will do in '07 about the smog laws? Word was that CAlifornia would stop demanding smog checks on '75 vehicles and older...and that was it. Period. I found out fairly recently that they pushed it up to '76 and earlier in 2006.

So...what happens in '07? Will they push it to '77 vehicles and earlier? Any word is appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

Old 07-21-2006, 06:54 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quehele
. . . . I found out fairly recently that they pushed it up to '76 and earlier in 2006.

So...what happens in '07? Will they push it to '77 vehicles and earlier? Any word is appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim
Where did you hear this?

The Bureau of Automotive Repair website still claims:
Beginning April 1, 2005, the 30-year rolling exemption has been repealed. Instead, vehicles 1975 model-year and older will be exempt. Therefore, 1976 model-year and newer vehicles will continue to be subject to biennial inspection indefinitely.

Beginning April 1, 2005, vehicles being initially registered in California that were previously registered in another state are exempt if the vehicle is a 1975 and older model-year vehicle. Newer vehicles, the first 6 model years, are not exempted upon initial registration in California. These vehicles are required to undergo a Smog Check Inspection

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage....ck/doineed.htm

Old 07-21-2006, 07:25 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's how I understood it to be, I've read/heard nothing other than what WillyB posted.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:55 AM
quehele
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly, I thought '75 was the cut-off for smog exemption too. But I was told by the director of a large municipal water company's motor pool that I was wrong...the law changed to '76.

I should have trusted myself...not the "expert".

California DMV say's this: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2536

Thanks guys.

Jim