Is the 92-96 Bronco rear bumper EXACTLY the same as the F-150? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Reload this Page >

Is the 92-96 Bronco rear bumper EXACTLY the same as the F-150?

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Is the 92-96 Bronco rear bumper EXACTLY the same as the F-150?

Old 07-15-2006, 11:44 PM
scottw383
New User
scottw383 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Is the 92-96 Bronco rear bumper EXACTLY the same as the F-150?

I have a '92 F-150 XLT that I bought a couple of years ago and it came with what looks to me like an early-to-mid '80s rear step bumper -- it's a slightly bent/rusty painted "three rib" design with a diamond plate top. It looks out of place on a truck that is otherwise in very good condition.

I have been wanting to put the "correct" chrome rear bumper on the truck, so I scavenged the local wrecking yards and bought a bumper from a 93 or 94 Bronco, since it was the only one I found with no dents, etc. I have heard from several sources that the 92-96 Bronco bumper is the same as the F-150 bumper, but I have also heard the the brackets are NOT the same.

When I picked up the bumper I got the two outer "gusset" brackets from another '92 F-150 since the new 92-96 style bumper uses these and the my old bumper does not have them, or even the mounting holes/bolts for it. I did not get the two big center mounting brackets that bolt the bumper to the frame, since I assumed that these would be the same as my old brackets. (I assumed that the mounting points on the new bumper would be the same as the old bumper.)

Unfortunately the Bronco bumper will not fit the brackets that mount the old bumper to my truck. The mounting points on the new (Bronco) bumper are 34" apart, but the mounting points on the old bumper are about 36" apart. The bracket mounting points on the F-150 frame are 37" apart.

So does anyone know if the 92-96 F-150 and Bronco bumpers are EXACTLY the same? In that case, it seems that all I have to do is get the correct brackets from a 92-96 (and probably other years) F-150 and I'll be able to mount the bumper I just bought. I would assume then that the brackets on my truck came with the old bumper and don't work with newer bumpers.

On the other hand, if the Bronco and F-150 bumpers are in fact different (for example, if the F-150 bracket spacing is always 36" at the bumper and the Bronco is 34"), then it looks like I'll have to find a bumper from a 92-96 F-series. (It's not worth trying to make new brackets, spacers, etc.)

Does anyone know the answer to this? Anyone care to measure the mounting bracket spacing on their 92-96 F-series? It should be very colse to either 36" or 34" at the rear bumper.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Old 07-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Mark Wenner
Senior User
Mark Wenner is starting off with a positive reputation.
I doubt they're exactly the same based on looking at my own Bronco and F150, so I think you're probably better off returning the Bronco bumper and looking for one that came off a pickup. I base this primarily on what I see on my Bronco, which has a stock bumper - the width between mounting surfaces of the bumper itself is about 4 inches narrower than the truck's frame rails, it uses mounting brackets offset 2 inches on either side to make up the difference. I could see no obvious reason why this was done, but I didn't spend too much time looking, either. The aftermarket bumper from my F150 has straight mounting brackets that exactly match the truck's frame width, no offset on the mounting brackets necessary. I suspect the factory pickup bumpers used straight or nearly straight mounting brackets as well. Anyway, FWIW.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:26 PM
scottw383
New User
Thanks for looking, Mark. It looks like I'm going to get to spend some more quality time at the wrecking yard(s) soon.

Your description of your Bronco matches what I had *hoped* the F-150 would look like -- the brackets would have to be offset by about 1 1/2" per side to make the 34" width of the Bronco bumper I have fit the 37" wide frame rails of the F-150. My only hope now is that your aftermarket bumper is not exactly representative of the stock configuration. The description of your truck bumper sounds fairly similar to what I have on my truck with the existing bumper -- the brackets are nearly straight (actually offset about 1/2" per side to go from the 37" frame rail width to the 36" bumper width).

Cheers,
Scott

Old 07-17-2006, 06:47 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
frederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to all
If the frames have different widths, you can fix that with two piece of 3/32" or 1/4" thick steel plate from home depot. Cut the steel and bolt it to the frame's bumper mount holes, then bolt the bumper to that.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:24 AM
scottw383
New User
Yeah, I thought of making a spacer, but I'm going to try to do that as a last resort. My spacers would have to be about 1" wide per side to make up the difference between the 1/2" offset brackets I currently have and the 1 1/2" offset (per side) that exists between the frame rails and the Bronco bumper.

I'm going to do a little more scavenging first -- either for brackets with a 1 1/2" offset per side or a different bumper, if needed (and if I can find a decent one).

Old 07-17-2006, 11:41 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
frederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to all
Makes sense.

I think the bumpers are the same, just that the brackets are different between the truck/bronco.

It's been a while since I've played with factory bumper setups.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:04 PM
scottw383
New User
I did a little scrounging through a junkyard yesterday and picked up a set of brackets from an '88 F-150 that had a similar bumper to my '93 (I'm fairly positive that it was a Ford bumper, but it did look like a painted version of the bumper typically found on 92-96 models rather than what I would have expected on an '88). These F-150 brackets have approximately a 1.5" offset per side. I measured the bumper before the brackets were pulled just to be sure everything would fit, and the F-150 bumper measured 34" wide at the mounting points -- the same as the bumper I grabbed from the Bronco.

Without getting too detailed, I can say for certain that the bumper mounting points on Ford trucks are different. One of the guys said "it's a year thing." He seemed to think that Ford changed from the 36" width to the 34" width at some point (in the '80s??) for both trucks and the Bronco.

I'm convinced that the 92-96 truck and Bronco bumpers are exactly the same, and a Ford parts guy did confirm this. The same guy also claimed that the Bronco and F-150 brackets were different, but I'm not certain what the differences are. The 92-96 F-150 brackets have about a 1.5" offset per side, and post #2 notes that the Bronco brackets are offset about 2". Maybe that's the difference?

I can say for certain that I have seen different F-150 brackets and bumpers. The brackets for the (newer??) bumpers with 34" mouting width have about a 1.5" offset per side, and the F-150 brackets for the 36" mounting width bumpers have a smaller 0.5" offset per side.

So...if you are swapping rear bumpers, it would be wise to measure the frame rail width and bumper mounting width before picking up a new bumper -- especially if going between different years and/or Bronco and trucks. You might need to find different brackets depeding on what bumper you end up with.

Hope that helps, rather than just adding to the confusion!

Scott