Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Sight Of My New V10-sickened Me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 07:53 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sight Of My New V10-sickened Me!

Went to pick up my new 2007 F250 V10 tonight,and the dealer says Uh, theres a scratch near the driver door.WHAT,I SAID! Oh my god,about the size of a dime.Oh,it must of happened from shipment.Well I seen the truck on sunday and it still had all of the safety film that FORD puts on the trucks.We'll have our bodyman blend it in,he's one of the best around.He better be the best around the planet.But other than that the mudflaps,superduty stainless bug guard & tonneu cover looked fantastic.I hope it turns out ok,just my luck.You build the truck you want,you wait 2 months to be delivered,and one GOOF to scratch it,jeez.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:32 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks man, I'm sure they'll take care of it for you though. Don't take it until its acceptable to you, and looks exactly how you ordered it to look!

Old 07-10-2006, 10:04 PM
azdrawdy
Senior User
Aaaaarrrgh!

Sorry to hear about the scratches. Very, very sorry to hear about that.

When I picked mine up, it looked like some jakhazz had given it its birthday bath with a sponge, LOADED WITH SAND! I knew that I could get every surface scratch out with my Porter-Cable random-orbital. I kept my mouth shut, was able to overlook the issues, signed the paperwork, and got it to its home. It looks better than ever I imagined now.

That said, don't take it until you are stoked, and satisfied that you will be one happy camper. If you are like most of us, you will be driving this truck a long time!

Michael

Old 07-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I worked at a GM dealer back in the mid 80's as an apprentice mechanic and was very surprised to find out how many vehicles were repainted and touched up after the PDI was completed.

I can remember the body shop guys talking about repainting a dozen or so Grand Nationals that were shipped from the factory with awfull orange peel paint. I can only assume this still goes on to some extent.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:29 PM
keith w
Posting Guru
I remember seeing some of those Grand Nationals

Old 07-11-2006, 05:48 AM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Crazy,

If the scratch bothers you that much, reject the transaction. Any repaint will eventually fade as it will never match the original. When I hear "blend" I get very nervous. I think they're screwing you.

Keep us posted!

Eric

Old 07-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I disagree with BlueOval 5.0

There are perfectly acceptable paint repairs that you will never know are there

And BTW it is just a freaking truck... If you use it as a truck I assure you that you will put more scratches in it then that slight ding....

Yes I do understand and I want my new babies to be perfect also but I am pragmatic and would not turn that beautiful truck back just over that small an item....

You can control how much emotion you want to apply to the problem... In my humble opinion, you will be much happier if you shrug your shoulders, admit that crap happens and forget about it! The BSEG from driving her will make any thoughts of a slight blemish disappear

Old 07-11-2006, 08:53 AM
4wd
Elder User
Fred's right I think on this one. Don't let that scratch worry ya. It will be invisible once the dealer finishes his 'blending' paint job, and it will be nothing compared to the dings and dents yet to come. After all you did buy the truck to use---right???

I had a place in the passenger door dealer 'blended' in on my new pick-up, and I had the same concerns, but within a year I had a deer hit that same door and really made a mess of things. All I can say is "sh-t happens" even in a Ford SD. Don't fuss too much about a scratch or two. Save your ammunition for something bigger such as a motor or tranny problem under warranty if needed. Leave the dealership with a BSEG smile when you fire up that V-10 and drive away.

Last edited by 4wd; 07-11-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:05 AM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
If I spent ~$40k on any vehicle, the damn thing better be perfect when I get it. I've had several vehicles with terrible repaints done by dealers.

I caught the first one early on and took the manufacturer to arbitraton and won and was able to get another vehicle less the mileage I put on the car.

The second one didn't show for about 5 years but once it appeared, it was obvious an entire door skin was replaced.

I realize trucks are bought for heavy use but at least let me put the first scratch or dent on it and not someone else.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyrwe
Went to pick up my new 2007 F250 V10 tonight,and the dealer says Uh, theres a scratch near the driver door.WHAT,I SAID! Oh my god,about the size of a dime.Oh,it must of happened from shipment.Well I seen the truck on sunday and it still had all of the safety film that FORD puts on the trucks.We'll have our bodyman blend it in,he's one of the best around.He better be the best around the planet.But other than that the mudflaps,superduty stainless bug guard & tonneu cover looked fantastic.I hope it turns out ok,just my luck.You build the truck you want,you wait 2 months to be delivered,and one GOOF to scratch it,jeez.
Come on guys! Give the man the low-down!!! When you get a new truck, take a claw hammer and go down both sides good and proper. After that you don't worry about what backroad, pig trail you take it down or where you park it!

Old 07-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

BlueOval

I hear you brother , but I am a half full kind of guy... for every crappy unprofessional paint n body man out there, there are 9 very good ones...

Same with technicians... many more good then bad....

Does it tick us off and hurt good folks reputations when we get screwed by a mental midget that though he could paint or fix stuff???...You bet your butt it does!...

I just want to keep some perspective here... it is really just a truck not a Ferrari F28

It is just a paint blem and not a creased panel

Get if fixed on their dime...OH hell yes!

Turn the truck back because the fix may not last????... too extreme for me

Old 07-11-2006, 12:53 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Having made-to-order vehicles show up with bad paint and ill-fitting doors is why my father ended up only ever buying cars that were on the lot. That way, you could see it all beforehand. As much as ordering it is cool, I had to admit he was right.

Also, I just saw a new Chevy truck at the Chevy dealer on a ramp (such that you could see the bottom of the truck). There was terrible orange peel on a lower door - and it wasn't just a chip-guard. With computer-applied paint, I wonder how you can get such a terrible paint job on a new vehicle? Yeah, it's a Chevy, but Fords come out like this, too. Where was the inspector? To me, this paint flaw was hugely unaccceptable.

Steve

Old 07-11-2006, 01:07 PM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Fredvon4
BlueOval

I hear you brother , but I am a half full kind of guy... for every crappy unprofessional paint n body man out there, there are 9 very good ones...

Same with technicians... many more good then bad....

Does it tick us off and hurt good folks reputations when we get screwed by a mental midget that though he could paint or fix stuff???...You bet your butt it does!...

I just want to keep some perspective here... it is really just a truck not a Ferrari F28

It is just a paint blem and not a creased panel

Get if fixed on their dime...OH hell yes!

Turn the truck back because the fix may not last????... too extreme for me
To each his own I suppose. I don't care if it is an F-250 or a Focus, the paint better be meticulous when I take delivery.

I guess it comes down to what you can live with. I expect perfection when it comes to my vehicles.

I don't expect the manufacturer to be perfect with every vehicle they sell. I realize these things happen. For the most part, the dealer will not disclose it or even admit there is a problem. They know once you take delivery, it is yours and the sales department refers you to service and you are a nobody.

I can't accept that.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

I have never seen (I am 51 and have been a car / truck nut case since I was 12 or 13 in the 60s) I say again...I have never ever seen the "perfect" paint, fit, and finish, inside and out all on the same vehicle

And please understand my attitude any way... I am buying a tool not a damned piece of art!

I am paying for good to very good but I never expect "perfect" because I can not define "perfect" and neither can any of you. Even if you have some pie in the sky idea what "perfect" is.... the American manufactures can not deliver it.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:13 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Hey Guys Wanted to Chime in on this :
The only time you have "HAND" is before the purchase. I Have had Numerous similar dealings . Firebird from Van-nuys plant had to be re-painted.toyota Had RR Quarter fixed,01 Honda Accord had ripped driver seat,90 F350 had a few dings and some paint work. All came back on me after the sale and warranty . All Low quality fixes / The Honda passenger Seat in my Car looks totally differant after a few years of wear and tear. I Feel if everyone just keeps taking what they give us it will never change. If your going to settle and find hidden problems later save half your money and buy used. If you Buy new It should be NEW .
And to some of us a $45K Truck is our ferrari F28. I Think is all perspective if your Big Bucks and have a fleet of new cars or get news cars all the time its no big deal. If its a few years salary and you had to sacrifice and save all the while dreaming about your new truck and have 5 years of payments to look forward to you might think different about looking at a dent or scratch in your new truck that you had noting to do with. I Know its not a perfect world but why do the customers always have to pay for others not careing or doing there job .How about a seperate added warranty for those fixes? (paid by Dealer or factory).For most people its the second most expensive purchase you will ever make. just my .02
Robert

Last edited by supeRobertduty; 07-11-2006 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Sight Of My New V10-sickened Me!