Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Sight Of My New V10-sickened Me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Sport45
Fleet Mechanic
Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveH-CO
Having made-to-order vehicles show up with bad paint and ill-fitting doors is why my father ended up only ever buying cars that were on the lot. That way, you could see it all beforehand. As much as ordering it is cool, I had to admit he was right.
Buying off the lot doesn't mean the vehicle wasn't damaged in shipment, only that it had already been repaired before he saw it.

I agree with Fredvon4. Let them take care of the repair and make sure it is to your satisfaction before you accept the pickup. A dime-size scratch isn't something to reject a vehicle over if it is properly repaired.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredvon4
I have never seen (I am 51 and have been a car / truck nut case since I was 12 or 13 in the 60s) I say again...I have never ever seen the "perfect" paint, fit, and finish, inside and out all on the same vehicle

And please understand my attitude any way... I am buying a tool not a damned piece of art!

I am paying for good to very good but I never expect "perfect" because I can not define "perfect" and neither can any of you. Even if you have some pie in the sky idea what "perfect" is.... the American manufactures can not deliver it.
Well....Fred....Ol Padna...my truck was not perfect when new, but now it is. I know it takes some time getting used to the dings and dimples, scrapes and scratches, but I put most of them there. The first dent was from the dealer during the first scheduled maintenance...it fell from the lift. The dealer was about to have a heart attack. He asked me what I wanted him to do - I said fix it and forget about it. It took two trips to get the paint just right, but they did match it as close as possible - so much you can't tell it right off.

But the thing that made my truck perfect was when I realized it's not the sharp image; the shiny, black paint job, the chrome grille, or appealing wheels - it was when I slipped off into the river bottoms with over 12K hooked behind it and hit the deep ruts. It climbed the rugged banks with those 10 cylinders huffing with a deep growl and never missed a lick, throwing gravel and red clay chunks into the buckeye thickets while I cranked up Hotel California and adjusted my shades....with a BSEG...

Old 07-11-2006, 05:11 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its already scratched, now you wont feel so bad when you do it.....

Old 07-11-2006, 05:38 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been down this road a few times. A competant Body Shop (we don't do in-house) can blend any scratch, nick, or ding to be invisible. And with todays modern paints, the "you'll see it years later" isn't true either. Nothing to stress about- just make sure it's repaired to your satisfaction before you take delivery. It's unfortunate it happens- but things can.. and do sometimes.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:39 PM
captchas
shucks guys. mine has had the whole left side repainted and even my dealer could not tell. if the painter is good you should not be able to tell at all with todays paints and computer aided mixing. it's not at all like the old days when it was hit and miss on geting a paint that matched .
crazie best wishes i know how itcie you've been waiting for it to come in.this sucks i know how you feel.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:51 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
Thanks gang for all of your input.I didn't hear anything today,but I didn't see it at the lot.If anything,at least the paint is brand new,so it may "blend a little better".Would it be worth asking the dealer for any compinsation,say the mudflaps ,or bug deflector as a "peace offering"?I'm confident it will look great.Man,other than the scratch on the door, when I saw it I thought I pooped myself.Wow ,they are great looking trucks.Blueoval,I hear what your saying,but waiting 2 months is torture.I don't think i can do it again.The truck came with everything I ordered,except the camper package.i ordered that too late.But I'm not worried about that.I'll keep you guys posted thanks so much,Al.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:54 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think I would try to get anything out of it unless they offer something to you. It was just an accident, get it repaired to your liking and move on...

Old 07-11-2006, 06:29 PM
4wd
Elder User
"Peace offering" make the peace for what? You havn't accepted the rig yet, and once they fix the paint and you accept it, then you havn't a thing to make war with the dealership about. Kind a lame on your part I think. I don't understand how your brain is wired thinking that way. Guess it takes all kinds. No wonder I'm not a dealer. Guys like you would break me.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:52 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a name for buying a new product with damage that has been repaired , or sold with a small ding or dent. Its called a Second or refurbished or a Blem (from my tire days). with of cource a discounted price. So as a customer same rules apply to a $700.00 piece of furniture with a ding , to "NEW" dinged 45K truck .
Robert

Old 07-11-2006, 07:11 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
Well 4wd,for all I know it was done by them.All I could tell you is that the covering was where the gouge is, & they say it was under the protective covering.I think they did it,so thats why I say peace offering.No,I havn't accepted the rig as of yet,but they do have $2000 of my non-refundable money for this rig.I like to take care of my rides.I keep them for many years,as I planned on this one.So if that irritates you ,oh well. Boy,I hope it never happens to you,if you get a new Rig.I hope you are as forgiving.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:21 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
crazyrwe- please don't take this wrong, it's meant as an explanation, not a criticism. The dealer (shipper, or Ford) is responsible for any damage or repairs that may have happened to the vehicle in the manufacturing/ shipping/ storage process. The "peace offering" you mentioned is really a renegotiation of the selling price.... It's up to the dealer, but not likely to happen.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:23 PM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Crazy,

I'd ask for the farm and get as much as I could. They stand to lose out here, not you. You could tell them to order the same truck ans they'd be stuck with this one.

The least they could do is throw in mud flaps or bug shield or whatever you want.

I can't believe some of these folks have no problem accepting a damaged vehicle that costs >$40k. Man, I have 3 used vehicles with door dings and scratches I'd love to sell you.

Eric

Old 07-11-2006, 07:36 PM
4wd
Elder User
Don't get me wrong crazy (I understand why you call yourself crazy). I don't blame you for wanting the dealer to fix the scratch. That's fine. What I can't follow is your wanting or even thinking you deserve additional compensation above and beyone the fix for a "peace offering". Remember you havn't accepted the truck yet. Where is the war?

As far as buying a blem or damaged vehicle, I have been to such sales and bought blem tires, hail damage cars, flood damaged, etc,. and all were sold with significant discounting and without a warranty, and in most cases the repairs were incomplete and damage was visible.. In your scratch case the dealer is supposed to completely repair and full factory and dealer warranty is unaffected and in place on your new rig.. I believe there is a long term corrosion warranty that could be used if the paint falls off and truck rusts out at a later date. Sooo, you are completely protected. Where is the beef? Sh-t happens. The pick-up could have other damage that was fixed at the Ford plant that no one knows about. So what?? As long as everyone stands behind what they are selling, you havn't a thing to worry about, and no further compensation is due you.

As far as you leaving $2000 on the table when you signed the order, I havn't a clue why you did that, but you did and that is past history and doesn't effect the dime sized scratch issue. I have had new SD delivered with a slight scratch and like I said earlier they blended it in, to my satisfaction, and I later had a deer hit the door where the scratch was and really dented it in, That's what insurance is for. You still havn't shown me why you think you need or deserve a "peace offering" gift.

Last edited by 4wd; 07-11-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:40 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Eric- careful here. Anything less than $500 doesn't even qualify under the legal description of damage. With a $2000 deposit, the dealer could claim that they've been harmed, keep the truck and the deposit (you know I wouldn't joke about this, right?)

Bottom line- this isn't the time to bring out the baseball bat. If they fix it and fix it right, great. If you press for that and more, they might just say "see ya." It's a game of poker at this point, but the consumer isn't in a clear winner's position.

Last edited by polarbear; 07-11-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:56 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
The dealer wouldn't order a V10,no way no how on there lot they said.Actually they wanted $5000 down to order.But since I've bought a few Fords over the years off of them,they said $2000 was ok.Hey 4wd,I hope it comes out really nice,and I'll drive away happy.I would just like them to document that it had been repaired at delivery.Just in case the paint doesn't hold up,or is that to Crazy to ask?

Quick Reply: Sight Of My New V10-sickened Me!