Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Wipers won't stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 05:21 PM
BOSSv10
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Wipers won't stop

It started when I bought it 5 years ago on and off. But of course never when a tech was looking at it. Now they won't stop at all. Only low and the lowest intermittent setting work. The washer does not work either. Went to Ford yesterday and the parts guy said it could be the multi function switch or the wiper motor and then talked to a tech and he suggested something called a "Gem" module ( I think he said module ??). Said it was by the kick panel and that it could be completing the circut to make them stay on. Any suggestions as to what it is ? By the way it a '00 F-250. Thanks

Old 07-09-2006, 08:14 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would change the multi function sw first,than the pcm module ($)

You need a wiring diagram to help trouble shoot.

there is also a park ciruit that may not be working within the motor itself

Rich

Old 07-10-2006, 02:59 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The multi-function switch can fail frequently and in a variety of ways.

What we found back in '97 & '98 (on the F150 & Expedition) was that the manufacturer was stuffing too much grease in the stalk and this excess was causing various electrical "shorts". People who were out of warranty had pretty good success in removing the switch and cleaning the grease out of it.

Depending on the current cost of the switch, you might want to attempt a cleaning before spending the $$ on a new one.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Do NOT confuse the Power-Train Control Module (PCM) with the General Electrical Module (GEM) two different animals!

5 years ago means a 2000-2002 MY SuperDuty

The stem mounted switch
The steering wheel electrical contacts
The GEM
in that order of trouble shooting and repair

The GEM is attached to, and on the back of, the Main Fuse panel assy in the cabin and can be a bit expensive if out of warranty

It is not a PCM issue and most likely just as NoMo suggests...... in the steering wheel area.... a loose connector under the steering wheel on the shaft would not cause this problem.... but a shorted wire bundle in that area would.... so check it out

Is there a HACKED in Stereo, Amplifier, Trailer brake controller, Alarm system, or Remote start system?

HACKED wiring can cause this and will be a bad time finding the shorted wires!

Old 07-10-2006, 02:03 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Change the switch. forget the gem! he would have other things going wrong besides just the wipers. make sure you don't have a windshield leak also
I 've replaced a few these for the same reason.
its $60 dollar part.

Rich

Old 07-10-2006, 09:04 PM
BOSSv10
Junior User
Thanks for the replys. I had an alarm put in the truck by ford when I got it but nothing else was done to it. Well it looks like I will use Fredvon4's list. I will start turning some bolts and order the part tommorrow after work. The only part that scares me about working on my newer stuff is all the nice breakable plastic. Maybe I'll have to order some tan colored duct tape as well. By the way FortyFords where would I check for a windshield leak? Thanks again

Old 07-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Bossv10

Did the wiper problem happen before or after the Alarm addition?

I almost always find that electrical problems on Ford trucks can usually be traced to a hacked in add on doo dad....

I am an electrical expert (20+ years army aviation electrician) and you would not believe how many installers out there have zero clue about what they are doing... especially at Ford dealerships....

If the stem mounted switch replacement does not fix your problem... and you are not real good at tracing electrical problems...

Find a REAL professional Code Alarm installer in your area... some of those guys are real sharp and have dealt with Fords under-dash electrical systems for years.... if you describe and demonstrate what is hosed up a smart feller may have a better chance of knowing what areas the Alarm system ties in that might have caused the intermittent or shorted portion of the electrical system.

It might be as simple as a connector that had been jumpered into has a crossed wire... sorry but as simple as that is to think about... It could take hours to find if you don't know the areas the Alarm installer tech screwed with

Old 07-11-2006, 11:20 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Definitely sounds like the multi-function switch.

The windshield washer not working is a key fact. Sounds like something is gone internally in the switch.

The "park" function not parking in the motor would not cause the washer to not work.

Lookey here, it shows the GEM being involved.

http://fords.kilonet.org/krewat/imag...001-pickup.jpg

Old 07-11-2006, 08:02 PM
BOSSv10
Junior User
Well I checked the wiring and found nothing. Not to say that there is nothing wrong but I did not find anything. But what I did find out is that when I turn the brights on and off the wipers stop and they cycle thru all the modes. So using my finely honed skills of deduction it must be the multi function switch ... Maybe. Accidentally hiting it with my head helped out alot also. Hopefully it will be at the parts department tomorrow and I'll get it installed. I'll let you guy know if that does it. Thanks again

Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 AM
ivplay
Freshman User
wipers stop when they want to

I have replaced the wiper motor, multi function switch and am now waiting for my GEM to be rebuilt. Couldnt find a new one anywhere so parts store packed my old one up and sent it off to be repaired. Hope like %#@$ this does the trick. They said it will take about 4 weeks to get it back!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 PM
bakon
Elder User
I also have an Army electronics background but in Hawk Missiles to shoot down Army aviation. Messed with wires always a good bet on a problem. Switches are next. Just wear out. Factory wiring would be last, relays and controls would be right after switches.
It appears the switch is not in the schematic but listed as under GEM.
I would go switch first, GEM second.

Post is from 2006. Hope it is fixed.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:22 PM
94f15093
New User
Hi. Im having a similar problem. I have a 94 f150 5.0 4x4 and I was fixing the lund sun visor lights and added new wires during this I had my door open for a few hours and my battery went dead so I pulled it out and sat in my shed on a charger for a day and put it back in and as I turned the truck on the wipers started going and wouldn't shut off they r stuck on middle setting and go fast when its on high but thought it coud be the new wires I put in and I cut them just to make sure and it didnt work. I have no clue what to do next any ideas.? Thanks