Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Bad Pinging on 2003 Ford Escape V6

Old 06-07-2006, 10:41 AM
john_navarro
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Pinging on 2003 Ford Escape V6

I have a 2003 Escape with about 39000 miles which pings when the intake air temperature goes above 88 degrees. Here are some facts: 1) No codes get posted.

2) EGR duty cycle averages about 58% typically.

3) EGR sensor voltage hovers between 2 and 3 volts. But the sensor voltage goes to 1 when the duty cycles goes to zero. So values may really be between 1 and 2 volts.

4) Pinging still occurs when EGR duty cycle goes to zero when going up hill.

5) I've cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor and problem still happens.

6) Pinging never occurs intake air temperature is cool - below 70 degrees.

7) When pinging does occur the slightest throttle change causes it to get
very loud. A drastic throttle change tempers the knocking - may be because EGR flow is suspended.

8) Using mid-grade gas doesn't help.

9) I've disconnected the battery to reset ECU and problem comes back.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you,
John

Old 06-07-2006, 03:52 PM
georgemu
Freshman User
Do a search in the Ranger and Aerostar message boards on "decarbon".

Old 06-16-2006, 07:49 PM
bananaboat
Senior User
I've been fighting the same issue with my 02 2.3 Escape (45k miles). Never had a problem until this year. After cleaning/replacing all that I knew, I took it into the dealership Wednesday night.

My horror story:
They first claimed they've been getting a lot of complaints about pinging this year and were blaming the switch to E10 gas (Dallas requires E10 due to ozone non-attainment). I told them that sounded good but I live/purchase gas in a county that doesn't require/sell E10. I got a call later that day. The $90 diagnostic didn't show anything but the service adviser claimed he had talked with the mechanic and believed the latest chip reflash would fix the problem. He also said there also could be some injector build-up though I stated I doubted that at 45k miles. $278 poorer, it was pinging just as bad within 5 miles of the dealership. I left a message this morning on the service guys voicemail asking how I go about getting a refund since they didn't fix anything. I haven't heard from them. Letter writing to various individuals will begin this weekend.

After doing some research, the gas may be to blame even though the spouses non-Ford doesn't have an issue. MTBE is an anti-knock additive and it was removed from the fuel around this past April. 7% MTBE was the reformulated gas blend in Dallas but now 10% ethanol is the new gas. Ethanol raises the octane but it is NOT an anti-knocking agent. The other counties that don't require reformulated fuel had always had gas that contained 3% MTBE. So in short, we now do not have any gas with an anti-knock agent. There's lots of EPA and government websites (reliable) discussing the anti-knocking agents of the past (lead, MTBE, etc). I'm under the assumption I'll be pinging without some type of substitute. I did find the state of Texas has approved an anti-knock agent for diesel that lowers emissions. This company also has an agent for regular gas. I've ordered some just as a test.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:22 PM
john_navarro
New User
Found solution to my pinging / knocking

keywords: ping, pinging, knock, knocking, dieseling

After much frustration, research, and diagnostics I've found the problem to my pinging. It was a two part problem.

Problem #1: Stay away from fuel system cleaners durning hot months

I was using both RedLine and Lucus products to keep the fuel system clean. I didn't use both together, but alternated between the two. They both state that their clearners run hot and clean. I didn't immediately notice the tie between the cleaners and the pining until recently. When I stopped using the additives the pinging was drastically reduced, but not emininated.

Problem #2: Ford uses spark plugs that are on the hot side

I purchased the truck in the north east and then moved down south where it's in the upper 90's during the day. I didn't have much problems up north with pinging but have had issues every day since moving down here. I replaced the stock plugs with Autolite XP104's and the truck is now ping free. The Autolite plugs run on the cooler side and help move the heat better. Compare the two plugs and you will see the difference. The truck accelerates smoother now and no more pinging can be heard going up hill with the AC on.

Hope this helps those of you with similar problems.

I'm so happy to have finally figured this problem out. Ford was not helpful because the computer didn't throw any codes. They basically told me to buy better fuel and to use BG44K (a professional grade fuel system cleaner).

Last edited by john_navarro; 06-18-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:33 AM
bananaboat
Senior User
I've still got some pinging but not as bad due to the plug changes. I'm rather peeved that the dealershop didn't even test drive the vehicle and hear the pinging after they performed their work. It seems once I get close to 95 degrees the pinging starts. I can't wait until it hits 105 or more outside.

The dealership now tells me that a reflash and injection cleaning are maintenance items regardless of their implication that performing these tasks will solve the problem. They still blame the gas and suggest trying different brands. Chevron, Exxon and Shell (E10 and non-E10) there's no difference.

Since the service advisor stated multiple times that Ford needs to do something about the issue, I did log a complaint with the NHTSA (id #10160141). I'm still waiting to receive my anti-knock agent I'm going to try on a lark. It's unlike most fuel treatments that (1) burn hotter and cause pinging (2) raise the octane level which can cause more pinging.

Old 07-09-2006, 07:15 PM
bluestang65
Tuned
I would let them reflash the PCM because it sounds like it isn't compensating properly for the fuel type. E10 sometimes requires cars to run alittle more rich to make up for the difference in energy in the fuel. Gasoline has more energy in it per gallon than ethanol. Don't these things have a knock sensor?
You don't have a lot of miles on the car, but you might consider a decarbon treatment. Look around for a shop that has a Motorvac decarbonizer in it. Those are the best. They use a soap-based chemical in the cleaning so that it doesn't burn up. Other machines on the market just use a solvent that stops cleaning when it is burned up.
Even still, my money is on the calibration in the PCM.