Basic Questions about Biodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Basic Questions about Biodiesel

Hi Guys!

A bunch of us in the 7.3 forum had some questions about Bio Diesel, see our thread here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...29#post3772429

Basically, we had questions on whether or not you can add Diesel Kleen to bio fuel and how our 7.3 motors will run on the stuff.

I know a bunch of you are experienced and any knowledge will be most helpful!

Thank ya!

Old 06-27-2006, 05:20 PM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
Hey Lisa, according to this thread in this same forum, we won't have to add Diesel Kleen... 3rd post down

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=501738

Old 06-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Nope, no need for BK. BioD is very astringent - it cleans as it flows thru the fuel system. So all the gum and varnish that've collected on the inside tank walls and fuel lines get washed into the filter. If you run bioD, consider changing the fuel filters after the first month. Second, the lubricity is far better than dinoD, so there's no need for Stanadyne lube additive, or any other aftermarket lubricant (Lucas, ATF, etc, etc, etc). Finally, the cetane of most commercially available B20 is around 53, definitely better than the 47/48 that we see here at the pumps in east TX. As you can see, bioD is an outstanding choice of fuel - it cleans, it lubricates, and it burns better and cleaner. Anything you try to add is just wasting $$$.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
What about the Cetane and other additives in Diesel Kleen, beyond just the fact that it adds lubricity to the dino diesel?

Same power to be expected with Biodiesel?

Old 06-27-2006, 05:54 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokin'
What about the Cetane and other additives in Diesel Kleen, beyond just the fact that it adds lubricity to the dino diesel?

Smokin, I put my answer to your questions in your thread, in the 7.3 forum as I thought it would get to more people there.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Smokin, I put my answer to your questions in your thread, in the 7.3 forum as I thought it would get to more people there.

FABMANDELUX.
I've seen that fabman, you rock!

When I finally get around to making biodiesel (I think I found my tank) ...I'll definitely have some questions for you no doubt...

-Lisa (AKA Smokin')

Old 06-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Originally Posted by Smokin'

Cetane number for DK or Stanadyne depends on how much you use. BioD ignites faster (higher cetane #), but has less btu's per unit than dinoD. Realistically, it turns out to be a wash - a longer-duration, steady push on the piston. Some folks report better mileage, some report worse; same with the 'seat of the pants' power impression. All state that the engine runs quieter and there's less smoke under acceleration.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRanger
Hey Lisa, according to this thread in this same forum, we won't have to add Diesel Kleen... 3rd post down

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=501738
TY Marty...I didn't realize there was another thread so similar. Maybe I should look next time ehh?