Today's the day.... Holley setup.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 10:10 AM
mswift
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today's the day.... Holley setup.

Today I will be going up to my house and installing the 600 holley on my freshed up 390, for my 75 highboy. I wanted to get input on carb settings.

As of right now, I set the float levels to be level(by turning bowls upside down and getting the top of float parallel with top of bowl edge. I also cranked in idel mixture screws all the way in, then turned them out about 1-1/2. Also, on the accel. pump arm and throttle, how I set that was, that I had primiaries all the way closed(including making sure the idle screw wasn't holding it open a bit) and made sure that the throttle arm(not sure right word) just barely touches the accel. pump arm.

That sounds resonable, doesn't it? That's about it for now? I'm gonna try and get er in the truck today, and hopefully try and fire her up tomorrow. We'll see.

Mike

Old 06-24-2006, 10:12 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You've got everything correct. What color secondary spring does it have ? Is it rebuilt or new ?

Old 06-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You didn't mention which list number 600 you have, but go to the link below and scroll thru it until you find you list number and there are step by step instructions for setting up and adjusting the carb.

http://www.holley.com/TechService/Instructions.asp

Old 06-24-2006, 11:09 AM
mswift
Senior User
Actually, I know it wasn't a color, so I'd assume it's the standard "metal" color? Silver or goldish, if it's zinc-plated? I'm not sure of the material. Stainless?

The list number on the carn is a 65-1850. Thanks for the link.

Mike

Old 06-24-2006, 11:47 AM
fomocofan
Senior User
1.5 turns out will get you started, by you will need to lean that out some eventually...But first you will have to readjust that accel pump...
The proper way to adjust it is at WOT and you must have .015 clearance when at WOT AND holding the diaphram arm down all the way. This is almost never done right and is usually a two person job!

Old 06-24-2006, 11:50 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Holley's spring assortment forthe secondary has 7 springs in it. The black or brown is the heaviest, a plain or white is the lightest, but there's two different white or clear ( sorry don't recall) in the pack. But in anycase, if you'll get a set, you'll see what's, what just by looking at them. I usually use the lighest spring for the earliest sec. opening, but on a 390 and my 5.0 in my Ranger the purple worked better. With the lightest spring, both engines tended to crack the secondaries open enough to screw with the idle setting.The big chain parts stores usually stock the spring assortment in the high performance parts section.

Old 06-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A Highboy is pretty heavy. I'd stay away from light springs or you will create a bog from the secondaries opening to soon.

fomoco is right, the accel pump linkage is rarely done right. You don't want to bind the linkage at WOT or you might not get WOT or damage the pump or linkage or both.

Old 06-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fomocofan
The proper way to adjust it is at WOT and you must have .015 clearance when at WOT AND holding the diaphram arm down all the way. This is almost never done right and is usually a two person job!
measure where?

Old 06-24-2006, 12:59 PM
fomocofan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hypoid
measure where?
Measure between the pump arm and the lower adjustment nut WHILE the throttle is held all the way open.

You have to also push the pump arm all the way down at the same time...this is why I said it takes two people!

Old 06-24-2006, 02:41 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also something thats over looked..is the rod going to the carb!! ask GTEX..and many others... you want to make sure your are just in the wide open position and not being forced open in a lock type position...

So you have to match your Linkage exactly with the ball on your carb..with zero pressure being both closed and open....and then adjust for retention once the carb return spring is in place... JMO...

Russ

Old 06-24-2006, 04:01 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
I've always adjusted the pump arm clearance to zero with the throttle closed and never had problems. At the same time I do not tighten the bolt/nut/spring assembly to where it's compressed all the way at WOT.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:34 PM
fomocofan
Senior User
Originally Posted by baddad457
I've always adjusted the pump arm clearance to zero with the throttle closed and never had problems. At the same time I do not tighten the bolt/nut/spring assembly to where it's compressed all the way at WOT.
I'm not surprised th hear that you adjust your carbs wrong...
BTW, The way I described is the way Holley suggests and there will still be zero clearance at idle, so that measurement means nothing!

Most people adjust there ac. pumps wrong...Once again, just because "everybody" does it wrong does not make it right!

I am sure you do not even know what NOT doing this correct will do to an engine....so you wouldn't know whether or not this has ever been a problem for you or not!!

Please once again, do alittle reasearch on the subject before posting info that could damage someones engine!

Last edited by fomocofan; 06-24-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:11 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
I'm not surprised th hear that you adjust your carbs wrong...
BTW, The way I described is the way Holley suggests and there will still be zero clearance at idle, so that measurement means nothing!

Most people adjust there ac. pumps wrong...Once again, just because "everybody" does it wrong does not make it right!

I am sure you do not even know what NOT doing this correct will do to an engine....so you wouldn't know whether or not this has ever been a problem for you or not!!

Please once again, do alittle reasearch on the subject before posting info that could damage someones engine!
Please, Junior, control yourself. I've been fooling with Holleys for better than 30 years now, and adjusted ALL of them the same way AND NOT ONCE, have I EVER had one break something because of the way I adjusted the accleerator pump arm clearance. You claim to be the "Know all" , "end all" here in the forums, but your ignorance constantly shows thru. There's not ALWAYS one correct way to do things. You should open your mind and shut your mouth sometimes. You might just learn something.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:29 AM
fomocofan
Senior User
Originally Posted by baddad457
Please, Junior, control yourself. I've been fooling with Holleys for better than 30 years now, and adjusted ALL of them the same way AND NOT ONCE, have I EVER had one break something because of the way I adjusted the accleerator pump arm clearance. You claim to be the "Know all" , "end all" here in the forums, but your ignorance constantly shows thru. There's not ALWAYS one correct way to do things. You should open your mind and shut your mouth sometimes. You might just learn something.
It's not my way its Holley's way! I have seen first hand what it does to an engine...have YOU... Why don't you tell us what it can do to an engine??

Once again, stupidity overrules...Because you adjust your carb wrong and have "no problems" then that means you are right and Holley is wrong....Ok, I get it....

Old 06-25-2006, 01:52 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
It's not my way its Holley's way! I have seen first hand what it does to an engine...have YOU... Why don't you tell us what it can do to an engine??

Once again, stupidity overrules...Because you adjust your carb wrong and have "no problems" then that means you are right and Holley is wrong....Ok, I get it....
I don't have to tell you what it does to an engine because it does nothing. Why don't YOU tell us exactly what it does, instead of "yappping" about someone's destroyed engine, due to an incorrectly or improperly adjusted accellerator pump arm ? What happened? The pump arm come off and was sucked up into the carb's throttle bores, then down into the intake, then was it sucked into a cylinder, where it was destroyed by being repeatedly crushed between the piston and cylinder head ? Oh, Wait! For that to have happened, someone must have left the air cleaner assembly off. Grow a brain, son.

Quick Reply: Today's the day.... Holley setup.