So Confused!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 03:28 PM
bigdaddy54
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Confused!!!

Looking through this forum i swear i tapped into a nasa message board. Which one of you is the mission commander? What language are you speaking? My brain hurts from trying to figure this out.....That being said you all seem really intelligent and could probably help a guy out.....Im a new dieseler...Just bought an 07 6.0psd about a month ago and have heard about using oil from mc d's or kfc.....where can i go to find out more about this?? what do i need? where can i get a system to make this easy??? do i have to build something??? what chemicals do i need??? is it safe to do in a residential area??? how big of a mess does it make?? do i need to do anything to my truck??? is it safe for my truck??

questions all i have is questions......maybe someone could be kind enough to answer my questions or atleast hook me up with something that can give me a little more insight....hearing people paying less than a dollar to fuel their diesel gets me excited having spent 3.00 plus per gallon.....

thanx in advance

Old 12-24-2006, 04:14 PM
jeep1947
Senior User

biddaddy54 to start with u are at the right place. All who use this forum are glad to help a new biodiesel enthuseist. Check forum lists by Fabmandelux and Phydeaux88. One of the best places to start. They are my mentors at making my own biodiesel and as I said all on this forum are willing to help. The plans for a processor are already posted by Fab just dont be afraid to ask for help. So much bio to make so little time Jeep1947

Old 12-24-2006, 07:11 PM
newr
Senior User
Your not alone Bigdaddy.

I too am watching and learning. I have come to the conclusion that it will take some time for me to sort out the various nuances of this craft. As we all pray for Fabmans peace I'm spending my time on things like materials and space planning for the reactor. Learning all I can about what I need to have done to the truck to be ready for the first batch, etc. I know it will take some time for me to come up to speed so I'm just working the issues as I can.

Personally, I've come to believe that this is the best community to frequent for advice so my suggestion would be to just stop by whenever you can, read all that you can, and ask the questions that you don't see answered. Scan the history of the forum, it will take lots of time but I have found the information to be well worth the time spent.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:16 PM
bigdaddy54
Junior User
Ive been looking and looking...all the words with tons of letters that a normal human like myself cannot pronounce make me crazy and wonder if this is for me.......i have noticied fabman is the MAN on this topic. he spits out those words as if he were the one who invented them.....is there a website that you guys buy some of your products from that explains this for an idiot to understand.......it seems like something i am very interested in as myself and my dad own diesels and would like to save money on fuel....however if we dont know whats going on we will continue to be drones and fuel up at the cheapest station around...

do they make a premade station that all you have to do is get oil pour it in and add what it tells you to add without having to put on a white coat and call mr. wizard to make the truck go vroom??? i am willing to spend a little now to save a lot later and save some gigabytes of memory in my brain....

Old 12-24-2006, 09:09 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Go here first: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org And READ,READ,READ!

This will give you a base of information from which to build with. Like others have said, look to the old posts on this forum. A lot of what we do here is experimental, as we are trying to learn this process, and improve it as we go.

Just remember that a lot of people just like you have made biodiesel, and a lot more will. It is not really as complex as it looks. If you and some friends can build your own processor you can get by with very little $, or you can by an "overpriced" commercial unit and be making it the first weekend!

To all my friends here.............Thanks. Will be posting more this week as things try and get back to normal............whatever that is!

Old 12-25-2006, 10:11 AM
newr
Senior User
Bigdaddy Wrote

do they make a premade station that all you have to do is get oil pour it in and add what it tells you to add without having to put on a white coat and call mr. wizard

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
FWIW Daddy, one common thread that you'll see in the archives here is that the "Micro" batch systems have a history of two constants, 1) they are generally based on plastic containers. The best clsoing line that I've seen here, and I don't remember who uses it, "Freinds don't let friends do BD in plastic". And 2) they are generally viewed as being substantially over priced for what you get.
Rememeber the old "Kung Fu" tv series? Patience grasshopper, patience.
If you go to the link that Fabman posted, biodieselcommunity.org there is a ton to read but they will also lead you to a micro system so be careful about jumping in to quick.
Here is link that I have bookmarked, but if you look closely you'll see plastic containers and prices over $2000.
http://www.homebiodieselkits.com/
Read on.

Old 12-25-2006, 04:00 PM
newr
Senior User
OK Bigdaddy, now ya got me going. Here is a link that I have bookmarked. This is the PDF index with documents from sources like The University of Idaho, The National Biodiesel Board, MSDS specifications, etc. and near the bottom of the page is a list of small batch processing documents. Hope this helps answer some of your questions. For me, the more I read the more questions I come up with.

http://www.biodieselgear.com/documentation/index.htm

Read and enjoy.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:42 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
If you want to try commercial biodiesel here is a list for your state. http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...tate.asp?st=CA

Also remenber that the warranty covers only to B5 at this time. Hate to get disaproved on a warranty claim.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:15 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fabmans own personal recipe is as follows
25gallons of oil heat to 150 degrees
5 gallons of methanol and 3lbs of potassium mechanically mixed for 1/2 hour

combine in heated tank and mechanically mix for 1 hour.
pump or dump to holding tank and you can do any number of things now

ol fashioned gravity seperation
hydrocyclone seperation
vacuum seperation
or Fabs aka ol man aka Don or The Don's newest deal is some sort of NASA high pressure flash seperation using nitrogen.

Happy holidays all