2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi, just bought 06 Screw 4x4 - looking at bed covers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:43 PM
TX06SCREW
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, just bought 06 Screw 4x4 - looking at bed covers

I was looking into a bed cover. I was looking at the Lock N Roll cover. What are the pros & cons of the Lock N Roll? Is there any other brand that is better? I have heard that they leak after two years. I would like something besides hard Tonneau covers because once in a while I haul things that stick above the bed.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:10 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE. I am a big fan of my Extang Full tilt. You can see it in my gallery here https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=20502 . You get the function of a hard tonneau (tilt up, and easy two second removal), as well as being able to roll it up like a soft tonneau. Its a nice unit.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:52 PM
yellow98cobra
Senior User
I have a Retrax cover you can see it it in my gallery. I liked it better than any of the other roll ups I looked at. Go here and watch there dvd clip...http://www.rolltopcover.com

Old 06-19-2006, 03:05 PM
scottps
New User
I have the RollBak and like it very much. I also have a picture of it in my Gallery.

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2006, 03:24 PM
lilmustangboy
Senior User
i myself have an aci literider... its good and strong... rolls up... and the best part is thats its adjustable... it its loose.. u tighten it and vise-versa.... also has a lifetime warranty that i dont think any other soft tops have...

Old 06-19-2006, 05:19 PM
roman371
New User
Check out the Undercover cover. Light, removable, rugged, inexpesive, and looks pretty good on a truck given that it is black and low profile. Easy install, took me 20 minutes.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:22 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just put a Extang Black Max soft cover on my new F150 Screw..

I had a hard frame cover before, and it always pissed me off to have to go home, drop the cover, then go back to pick up whatever it was (tv, fridge, engine, pickup hood, etc)..

the soft cover just rolls up out of the way.. In the Texas sun, I have had no problems with soft covers over the last 5 years.

My hard frame cover was destroyed when one of the clips wasn't seated and we had 40 mph winds one weekend, blowing directly into the rear of the truck.. it ripped the cover clean off, and wrapped it over the from of my garage, 1/2 on the roof, the other half pinned to the garage door!..
nice dents in the gutters too!..

Sam

Old 06-19-2006, 06:08 PM
blub
Senior User
I have an Access Lorado roll up soft cover, it's great but I traded in my truck and the dealer let me keep it if anyone is interested.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:10 AM
TX06SCREW
New User
Thanks to everybody that has responded. I should have been more specific. I am looking for hard rolling bed cover that can be locked and that is water proof.
Has anybody had one for a couple of years and it still works and is water proof? From what I have seen most of them only have a 1 year warranty.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:40 AM
bruceatlam
New User
Originally Posted by TX06SCREW
Thanks to everybody that has responded. I should have been more specific. I am looking for hard rolling bed cover that can be locked and that is water proof.
Has anybody had one for a couple of years and it still works and is water proof? From what I have seen most of them only have a 1 year warranty.
I use a "Roll N Lock" on my Lightning --- owned the cover for five years now. I really like the cover but it's not water proof. Water likes to enter right at the back where the lip is on the cover. It's really not an issue unless you have things stored right up against the tail gate. If you do, those things will get wet. The water that does drip into the bed runs right out at the bottom of the tailgate --- the last four inches or so will get wet. The balance of the bed stays dry.

The cover hasn't posed any other problems. The vinyl overlay needs to be wiped down every so often with "Armor All" or the like to maintain it's sheen and finish. Seems to be rugged -- no holes or tears after five years in mine.

Anything I missed??

Old 06-20-2006, 11:52 AM
bruceatlam
New User
P.S. Yes, it's lockable. Simple little key lock -- works fine.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:42 AM
TX06SCREW
New User
bruceatlam,
Thanks for the information. Did it leak from the begining or after time? Do you have any idea why most of the roll type cover only have a 1 year warranty?

Old 06-21-2006, 09:28 AM
bruceatlam
New User
Originally Posted by TX06SCREW
bruceatlam,
Thanks for the information. Did it leak from the begining or after time? Do you have any idea why most of the roll type cover only have a 1 year warranty?
It leaked from day one at the rear of the cover where it meets the top of the tailgate. That just isn't a water tight seal. But, like I said, it's really not an issue unless you have stuff stored right up against the tailgate --- I learned my lesson first time I ran it through a car wash.

I have no idea why the warranty is only a year. Never paid much attention to the warranty -- never was an issue for me.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:01 AM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
I had a RollnLock retractable cover on a 02 Sport Trac, and wasn't impressed. Besides the minor water leakage at the tailgate, the vinyl top was really faded after only 2 years of use. And it rattled like crazy, you can easily hear it inside the cab.

On my current 04 Screw, I have the Advance 2-panel folding cover and have been very happy with it. The fit and finish have been holding up great for 2 years now. And it is very easy to remove by just removing 2 bolts. On rare occasions, a tiny bit of water gets in through the hole in the seal where the latch is.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Cavtrooper06
Senior User
Anyone own the truxedo lopro?

Quick Reply: Hi, just bought 06 Screw 4x4 - looking at bed covers