New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

What vehicle project(s) do you have going on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GLR
He is going along with my philosophy of having a vehicle for everyday of the week. (4 now and no wife to say no)
Now that is a classic statement!!!

Sounds like you have been real busy too!!!

Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 PM
fast frank 66
Senior User
I've got my '66 that i'm always working on. tonight i installed a new hitch.

Then I've got my race car that I've spent more money then time so far.

Darren, I've got a friend that has a samuri sitting on 31" super samper TSLs. it's awesome off road, he can fit down quad trails. I've driven it once on the highway. his instructions were leave it in 4th or 5th (1 less than top gear) with your foot to the floor. it cruised at about 60 without over revving the engine. i've seen him take an exit ramp too fast and get up on two wheels. that was pretty scary.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Frank - does he want to sell it?? There is a guy near my buddy's shop that has a tin top Zuk that is sitting in his backyard that I am going to talk to. I also have a guy that may be getting rid of his 1993 Ranger XLT. I am also trying to track down a guy that has a Kaiser 715. So I have a few options already, but like anything it will come down to money and if they are ready to sell.

Jason - could you post up a couple of pictures of the battery setup in your truck? I have an extra battery sitting around from my Rover and am considering doing a dual battery setup with a switch so that one battery could be a reserve. The PSD's come with dual batteries and I need to see how they fit them in the engine bay. Thanks!!

Old 01-12-2007, 04:22 AM
gomersinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ronin007
Don't underestimate the stock suspension in your truck. A lot of hardcore wheelers put down the TTB as being unworthy for off road use, but it depends on what you are going to use it for and what kind of wheeling you are going to do. Even a stock truck (any truck, any make) with the right tires and the driver using their brain can go places a highly modified truck driven by a idiot can't.
I'm not beefing the TTB or the stock concept. It's the parts I don't want to fail. I know the TTB is a capable set up with a locker or limited slip. The lift is what's killing me. As it sits, the last guy who did work on the suspension added two inch lift springs in the front to level it and it's got the wheels off camber and the ball joints and radius arm brackets are beat all to hell. The d-side radius arm bracket is punched through and the last owner simply fish plated it to hold it together. It'd be far simpler for me to swap in a solid front D44 from a guy I work for just looking to get rid of it (seen it, it's in good shape) and then stuff in some long-leaf packs. And if I need to do repairs, I'm far more familiar with solid axle fronts than TTB and they're not quite as spendy.

Also, I've seen solid axles scrap, groan and slide over rocks and logs that haven eaten TTB fronts. I know I'm overbuilding, but I'd like the assurance of a tried and true and much tougher solid front than TTB.

Well maybe we in the NY Chapter can help one another here as that is a problem. There have been so many idiots that have gone out and wheeled on personal property without permission that landowners don't want us. Those that do, want it kept quiet. There is Whispering Pines and I forget the other place outside of Rochester that are both smaller versions of Paragon Park. Maybe some other members know of places near them, but please everyone be careful about posting in this public forum. People can PM me the information and we do things offline for locations.
Yeah, I should start a thread on that. Might garner a little more attention from guys who know where some of these roads are and where some good trails happen to be hiding.

By all means, let's keep this on the down low. I know guys who wheel that shouldn't. They can't seem to help spinning wheels on dry pavement, let alone pine duff. I'm a tread lightly wheeler and I'd like to keep the trails to those of us who will treat them with the respect that they deserve.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:14 AM
jasonschwenk
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ronin007
Jason - could you post up a couple of pictures of the battery setup in your truck? I have an extra battery sitting around from my Rover and am considering doing a dual battery setup with a switch so that one battery could be a reserve. The PSD's come with dual batteries and I need to see how they fit them in the engine bay. Thanks!!
No problem! I am working 12hour days right now so give me a few to get some pictures uploaded!

Old 01-12-2007, 12:25 PM
gomersinner
Senior User
I swear I have karma to spare. The GF's brother in law needed a driveshaft and yoke for his 92 Ranger, so I offered him the stuff out of the junk Ranger I've been parting out. Well, I get home from work this morning and the GF tells me he wants to give it to me. I pick it up this weekend.

I know it's blue, but other than that, I didn't ask many questions. I'm getting the third free truck in the last year and the first this year. I'm not going question whatever gods are smiling on me!

Old 01-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
gomersinner - considering you have a hacked front end already, you might as well SAS it. You will spend more money trying to fix it, lift it, and beef it than to do the SAS. I only mentioned about not discounting the TTB as too many people jump the gun and cut it off without really knowing what it can do. Like I mentioned, I have seen plenty of built rigs get spanked off road by inferior rigs because the driver knew his rig and drove it smartly.

As for the wheeling locations we just have to be smart about that. The land is getting closed all around us and I would hate for more land to get closed because of one of us disclosing a location and it gets over run by some idiot wheelers that don't get the idea of Tread Lightly.

Jason - no hurry. It is something I am considering and just want to see what would be involved. Thanks!!

Old 01-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gomersinner
I swear I have karma to spare. The GF's brother in law needed a driveshaft and yoke for his 92 Ranger, so I offered him the stuff out of the junk Ranger I've been parting out. Well, I get home from work this morning and the GF tells me he wants to give it to me. I pick it up this weekend.

I know it's blue, but other than that, I didn't ask many questions. I'm getting the third free truck in the last year and the first this year. I'm not going question whatever gods are smiling on me!
Now that is cool!!!

Old 01-13-2007, 06:33 AM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it's cool as long as none of 'em end in my yard. wont be long before the gf says ENOUGH

Old 01-13-2007, 10:46 AM
gomersinner
Senior User
Wait'll I tell her about the rat rod.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Hyperactive460
Elder User
well my project is my 1978 F-250 XLT. i blue the head gasket on the #7 cylinder about 4maybe 5 years ago. so after removing the front clip to pull the engine i find out that my tranny ( np435 ) is falling apart so that has to come out and why stop there, so the transfer case ( np205 ) followed. might as well rebuild all three. so why stop at the drive shafts? i then started to disassemble everything else exhaust , brake lines, wireing harness, shocks, sway bars, shock towers motor mounts, cross members. before you knew it the only thing left on the frame was the axels. which only ment one thing... more lift!!!! i also found that the mounts that hold the cab on ( one rear mount and the two front mounts ) where bad so i grinded the rivets out and replaced all three parts with some new/used ones from down south. ( along with 2 new/used upper shock brackets from the same supplier )so now it sits bare in my father in laws garage waiting to see the sand blaster in the spring.thinking about haveing it rhino lined or something. baught a 460 from my brother inlaw out of his camper with only 46,000 miles on it for 400 bucks. my friend at the tranny shop is going to rebuild my tranny and transfer for just the price for parts and my wifes uncle is going to paint it. just might be awhile before it gets put back together.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:58 AM
gomersinner
Senior User
Sounds like your own little bit o' Heaven to me.

Goin' for number four and will be back to three shortly.

1989 BII my girlfriend's brother wants to unload. He's not exactly clueless when it comes to the guts of a vehicle (he can change the oil, scared to do the brakes) and he's having to put a little work into it lately. So he's laying it on me (my favorite albatross) in favor of an early nineties Dodge Crapavan.

Soon's I finish stripping the 91 Ranger, I'm getting rid of her bones. That'll bring me back down to three.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:03 AM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
then you can come and help me w/ mine gomer. my wheel cylinders still sit behind the seat and i hold you responsible dammit

Old 01-21-2007, 10:32 AM
gomersinner
Senior User
I can do that.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:34 PM
NJ2000R
Junior User
I started tearing apart my rust free 63 2wd donor truck (white) to put the cab, bed, and other parts on my 63 4x4 (carribean turquois) but I feel bad bacause the 2wd truck is in too nice of a condition to cannibalize, so now I have 2 truck projects going on at once

and the set of NOS inner and outer fenders I just found

Quick Reply: What vehicle project(s) do you have going on?