General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Need some advise on travel to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 04:46 PM
RockyMtnF250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advise on travel to Canada

The family wants to go fishing in Canada. We are looking to go the week of July 9. We want to stay close to the Rocky Mountains on the Alberta side, I do not think I want to drive any further north than Jasper. Maybe a mix of Cabin, Hotel and Camping for lodging. Nothing touristy, just good fishing, scenery and relaxation. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance to our fine neighbors to the north for putting up with our visit, I promise we will return south of the border when our vacation is up!

Old 06-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Nephilim
New User
Talking B.C. Bound

I live in Nova Scotia, but have lived in B.C. and it is an amazing place. Its really impressive on the ocean side. It has the best of both worlds, where the snow caped mountains meet the ocean. And that is also great fishing due to the fact that all rivers lead to the ocean. Vancouver Island is a great experiance as well, great lakes, rivers,water falls, samon (depending on the time of year) to see wales is not oncomon. I worked in B.C. as a mountain bike mechanic, and was in to orginized races and rides. Which allowed me to visit alot of coastal and mountian trails and endless logging and fireroads with safe (family oriented 4X4) too extreme maddness 4X4. Hiking, biking, rock climbing. Any way thats the rant.....

Old 06-15-2006, 06:47 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RockyMtnF250, maybe pickup a copy of "The Milepost".

It's a travel guide for that part of the country you're planning to visit.

It's great up there.

Have you taking any lessons on speaking Canadian?

Here's a link to the Milepost:

http://www.themilepost.com/

I used it when I took a roadtrip to Alaska.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:03 PM
RockyMtnF250
Senior User
Nephilim, I would love to go to the BC side but as Alberta is due North I was thinking Alberta would be a little easier on the budget. sierraben, thanks for the tip I have themilepost up right now and will check it out. I told the wife she could have the roughed in bathroom finished off or go to Canada fishing, she wants Canada, I guess I picked one that can set priorities correctly!

Thanks, keep them comming!

Old 06-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You might want to come by my place and turn left

Check into Mountain-aire Lodge (cabins) near Sundre ....by no means fancy but real back country cabin living.
Located Right in the East face of the Rockies
Lots of wildlife around.

http://www.mountainair.ca/

or even Rocky Mountain House.
http://www.rockymountainhouse.worldweb.com/

Both are just off of Highway 22

If something a little more posh is required.
This place is nice.

http://www.davidthompsonresort.com/home.htm

What kind of fishing and fish are you interested in
Lake,River,Stream.
All are fresh un-contaminated glacier fed water.

I live within 45 minutes of Great fishing.
http://www.adventurealberta.com/

http://www.discoveralberta.com/

http://www.hotspotfishing.com/states...ng-Alberta.asp

http://www1.travelalberta.com/madeto...ry=CA&state=AB

Last edited by Mil1ion; 06-15-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:12 AM
FirstTry
Posting Guru
i dont what the fishing is like near canmore/banff. but look up www.mysticsprings.com
it si an amzing hotel. its just like home. it is ideal for a fishing/skiing/golfing type thing i just dont know what the fishing is like around there. you are in the rockies though.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:14 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Last time I was up there even the commercialized stuff wasn't as bad as it is in the lower 48. You'll still feel like you stepped back in time. Banff and Jasper are great towns. Take time for a snow coach ride up to athabasca glacier. The glacier was ok, I live with those down here - the snow coach ride however was like cruizing on the surface of the moon - and that thing would make one heck of a muddin' rig. Plus they had a lineup of the old vehicles used in the past for glacier transportation - talk about old iron!

Take photo ID's for everyone to ease border crossing back into the states and kids aren't allowed into any restaurant that serves adult beverages - at least they weren't a couple of years ago in BC. If you travel the west side check into Radium or Fairmont Hot Springs and soak in the hot pools to relieve the strain of fishing. Swimming attire required.

If you need anything near the border I'm just an hour south between Whitefish and Kalispell.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Mil1ion
New User
You guys are talking about the Federal Parks where it costs so much a day just to be in there because they are all tourist traps.They are a mad house from June 20th- October 31st ......Thousands of people.

Not what he wants.

From what he posted and what I understand about his post ...This guy wants The Best fishing and nobody around.

Trust Me...I know what I'm talking about.

He needs to be on the East face of the mountains near me.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:50 PM
RockyMtnF250
Senior User
Thanks for the replies guys. Dennis you got me pegged, amenities are not first on the list, running water would be nice but a well with a hand pump would serve. Cabin on the lake kind of thing. I don't mind a little company but the Yellowstone type of experience is not what we are looking for. If we find the right spot we might be willing to stay most of the vacation in one place, we are willing to break it up to a couple of nights here and a couple of nights there. I just got off the phone with Mountain Aire Lodge, they sound like great folks, the guy was wondering why I would want to come up from Western Colorado, sounds like he wants to come on vacation down here! I asked about fishing, right now there has been a lot of rain and the river is very cloudy. We are not picky, lake fishing is fine and walleye is about the best fresh water fish to eat in my book. I will be researching this until about Wednesday and then pull the trigger on a decision. Great information so far. I will post again when I get it narrowed down. Still open to suggestions until then.

Thanks,
Wes

BTW folks in addition to Truck information this kind of stuff makes it a bargin to be a supporter!

Old 06-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Wes, How much would you prefer to spend a night for accomodation and your preference.

Motel
Cabin
Bed & Breakfast
Lodge

Average cost in July from the bottom 3 is between $80-$160/night based on double occupancy.

Last edited by Mil1ion; 06-16-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:34 PM
RockyMtnF250
Senior User
Our preference order Cabin, Lodge then Motel, under no circumstances B&B! I think about $120 CDN give or take, of course less would be better so long as the sheets and such are clean. Mountain Aire quoted me $109 for a room that accommodates four. mtflat, those hot springs sound great, the BC side of the Rockies is definitely on my list for future travels. How’s the money thing work? Visa and MC handle exchange rates? Do you just go to a bank up there to trade US for CDN? Also where might I find out fishing regulations and license fees? Thanks for your input folks!

Old 06-16-2006, 06:16 PM
RockyMtnF250
Senior User
Opps I see one of the links that Dennis provided answered Fishing Regs and Fees.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Yes all those links will have all the info you need.

A fishing license can be bought almost anywhere around my place.
Every small town has a couple.

Home Hardware
Mohawk Gas
We even have specialty fishing stores.

They will also charge you for a WIN card which is needed to get a fishing license.

The best place to get your money changed is at the bank.
Right now it's about 9%
Most tourist areas will take it at par.

With a CC, your bank will automatically give you the best rate.

I have found a couple of Cabins sites with weird names but I haven't been to them to see them firsthand like the few I have mentioned.

Don't worry about murky water, have so many choices to fish here that most spots are 15-20 mintes apart.

The Glacier fed streams & rivers are clearer closer to the mountains.

This is a good page.

http://www1.travelalberta.com/conten...shing-info.cfm

http://www.albertasportfishing.com/partner.php?r=2

Last edited by Mil1ion; 06-16-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Cheechako Cabins
Rates: CAD $110 - $250 — Open year round. Offer seclusion and peace in a beautiful mountain setting away from the crowds of the national parks. Modern,very clean cabins have fully-equipped kitchens, private baths,covered decks and wood burning stoves.
Address: PO Box 47 Nordegg AB T0M 2H0
Send an Email (162) 1 403 721-2230

Country Cabin

Box 1916
Rocky Mountain House, Alberta,
Canada, T4T 1B4
Phone: 403-845-4834;

The cabin is self-contained and sleeps four people comfortably with 2 seperate bedrooms and a hide-a-bed in the living room. Facilities include indoor and outdoor fireplace, gas heat, outdoor hot tub, small fridge, hot plate, and microwave. Homemade continental breakfast included. Set on ten acres of land in the beautiful country. Close to all outdoor activities.

View Details
Accommodation Type of Accommodation: Cabin
Accom Spring/Summer/Fall Activities and Adventures: Canoeing/Kayaking, Fishing, Golf, Hiking/Climbing, Horse - Trail Rides, Hunting, Wildlife Viewing
Spring/Summer/Fall Description: Above ground pool and hot tub available for guest use. Close to all outdoor activities for summer and winter use. Five minutes from Canyon Creek Golf Course.
Accom Winter Activities and Adventures: Ice Fishing, Ice Skating, Skiing - Cross-country, Snowmobiling
Winter Description: Call for further information on winter activities.
Facilities: Cooking Facilities, Electricity, Fireplace, Flush Toilets, Hot Tub, Private Bath, TV
Meals Provided: No
Open: Year-round
Cost: Double - $75.00/night Single/Seniors - $65.00 $10.00/extra person Children under 13 free.
Maximum Accommodated: 01-05
Pets Accepted: Yes
Event Directions: Located 15 minutes northeast of Rocky Mountain House on Highway 12.
General Info

Maybe go here and fill out the questionaire.

http://www1.travelalberta.com/search/accommodations.cfm

Click "Central Area" when it comes up.

Last edited by Mil1ion; 06-16-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:00 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
I drove from Alaska to the US on the Alaska-Canadian Highway and it was awesome. Just be prepared that if you travel on one of those highways and it turns to gravel; you'll have to replace your widshield when you get home. Also, if you smoke take your own cigarettes because they are outragous in Canada.

Quick Reply: Need some advise on travel to Canada