Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How tall is my SD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question How tall is my SD?

How tall is SD? My office garage is about 6.10” tall, is it safe to take my SD inside?

My truck: 2000 Lariat LE, Crew cab, 7.3L, stock suspension, dually, LB, 4x4 etc

Old 06-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Got a tape measure? Just measure from the ground to the back of the cab (highest point) to get a measurement. Or if you have cab lights measure from there.

I did that after my lift and tires. My truck currently sits at 7'10"

My garage is 7'

It's good info to know ahead of time.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:19 PM
piotrsko
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the top of the radio antenna to the ground which in the case of my 2wd drive 3/4 ton stocker is 6'10. If you don't hear the antenna boinging on anything it ought to not hit. If in doubt, drive really slow and get out often to look see!!

Old 06-12-2006, 07:45 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
The first time I pulled my truck into our garage for an oil change, I stood up with my door open and my head peeking along the roof line, with one hand on the wheel and one foot on the brake, inching it inside. The cab lights clear by about two inches. The antenna does scrape along so I try to have someone bend it down until it's through, or I tie a wire to it and pull it from across the cab to bend it down while it passes under. Unfortunately, even though it fits height-wise into our garage, it sticks out about 5 feet. I guess that doesn't really help, but really there's no way to tell you how tall your truck is, as they'll all be just a tad different in height depending on your tires, how much air's in them, how much stuff or fuel you've got in the truck, etc. etc. Gotta just get a tape and measure it or inch it through like I did.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Result!

Ok the results are up , After work last night I drove my truck to the parking garage and had my buddy watch me over as I pulled into the garage. I opened the door; got up; one hand on the steering wheel; foot on brakes; crawling inch by inch…finally my buddy and myself found that we have about 3 or slightly more inch of clearance(Ho, by the way our office second garage is 7 foot tall). That is a good news ! The antenna hits the top real bad. I hope I don’t break it! Does any one know if there are smaller after market antennas?

Last edited by Vijay; 06-13-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:12 AM
piotrsko
Elder User
don't worry about the antenna, they are pretty tough.

several alterations: go get a shorter new one from a junkyard off another ford product say a focus. (nice thing about ford, lots of interchange)

Whack off the end, bend tip into very small u shape so you don't poke your eye out but careful the stupid thing is really sharp and brittle. I suggest the cut to be at cab top height.

go get a replacement ruber ducky at some auto parts store / wallyworld.

or for the ultimate: replacement POWER antenna.

your mileage may vary.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:01 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
i got one of those shorty billet antenna's. looks nice and don't have to worry about scraping the antenna at all, now the first thing i hit is my cab lights.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by adambomb
i got one of those shorty billet antenna's. looks nice and don't have to worry about scraping the antenna at all, now the first thing i hit is my cab lights.
Where did you get it from? how much was it?

Old 06-13-2006, 07:22 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
Where did you get it from? how much was it?
i don't know where mine is from. it's like the ones on this site though http://accessory-center.com/series.plx/30/2604/1897 You can pick out what size you want and sapositivley get better reception. I have also seen them for sale on ebay.