6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

32,000 miles do i need to change some fluids

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 04:34 PM
RideRed05
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
32,000 miles do i need to change some fluids

Im about to role over 32,000 miles and this will be the first time to change any fluids on my truck since it came with a 30,000 service plan.

i live in baytown texas: hot as hell 2/3 of the year and only hits freezing once or twice, i live 3 miles from work and don't drive everyday, but i do have a 4.5" lift with 37" tires w/ 3.73 gears along with Diablo Prog. 4" turbo back exhuast.

My Dad has a 1995 powerstoke turbo 7.3L (first one in southeast texas) and he has ran the mess out of it pulling horse trailers to Tenn. and all over texas, the truck just rolled over 300,000 miles and the only thing to go out has been a mech fuel pump, and a alternator. He has ran rotela syn in it since it came out and swears on it. so i figured i would give it a try.

heres some things i need some help on:

* I heard running synthetics on short trips is not recommended - can anyone give me some pros and cons of this.

* what oil filter to use

* What mileage do you guys recommend on change tranny fluid

* had a buddy change his differential fluid to royal purple and he said he gained a 1 mpg on that alone anyone have any thing to add to that or maybe some pros and cons of royal purple (if so what do you recommend)

I appreciate any advice

Old 06-08-2006, 06:39 PM
scafes
Senior User
What ever you heard on syn is probably bunk. At least the bad stuff anyway. There is nothing wrong with syn and it beats dino in every category but price. Not to say that you couldn't get 300K as well using dino, you could if you wanted to. Your decision.

Most people will probably say to use a Racor filter, such as Motorcraft.

I recommend changing the tranny fluid early. Perhaps as early as 15-20K. You pull trailers, probably in the heat, you have big tires, and run a tuner. All of these things will put more stress on the tranny. Take the side of caution and change it sooner.

Syn in the diff is a good idea in my book. I haven't changed mine yet, but I will be. Any Syn will work fine. You don't say what you have, but most come with Motorcraft Syn in the diff already.

My opinions. Matt

Old 06-10-2006, 01:23 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I would change the oil (dino or synth) every 5,000 miles. I personally use Rotella-Syn 5W-40 and change the oil and filter every 5,000. I buy Motorcraft oil filters at my local auto parts store for $19.99/ea or Walmart for the same price. Racor makes motorcraft filters for the 6.0L and they are made well and one of the best OEM filters.

I would change tranny fluid every 30,000 miles as scheduled and maybe earlier if pulling trailers real hard.

Fuel filters every 15,000 miles and your local Int'l dealer has RACOR made filters with the proper water blocking media on them for around $30.00/ea (less than WIX or Motorcraft)... yet OEM quality.

Rear diff, transfer case and front diff (change acording to your manual) and use the right grade of fluid and friction modifier in the rear-diff. I do not know enough about Royal Purple, but if it meets the Ford spec and weight then great... but I find that one differential fluid change alone would increase overall mileage by 1mpg!!!!

Only use oil that is CI4+ rated, tranny fluid that is Mercon-SP rated and the appropiate rated fluids for all other stuff and your good to go!!!

Heck, I would bleed and flush your brake fluid (DOT3) as preventitive maintanence... I did and do it yearly!!!

Good luck,

Old 06-10-2006, 08:47 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RideRed05
* I heard running synthetics on short trips is not recommended - can anyone give me some pros and cons of this.
That's funny. This is one of the main reasons I went to syn oil. 10 - 12 min drive to the office. Daughter's high school and competitive dance team practices...5 - 10 minutes. Tuesday night Liar's Club meetings 15 minutes. Beer store 3 minutes...etc.

I do get to clean 'er out from time to time when I travel for work, or make a run out to the mini ranch to cut hay, hunt etc....

Old 06-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by RideRed05
Never heard of this at all - someone must be pulling yur leg???

Use either type of oil based upon the weather, driving style and make sure they are CI4+ rated. Synthetics allow for better cold weather flow properties and better hot temperature protection and protect better than dino oils. They also are "purer" due to their refining process and keep the motor cleaner.

If you dad had good luck... I would just continue as he has and many others have. Short or long drives make no difference... but use synthetics for the above reasons and do not worry.

I use Rotella-Syn 5W-40 due to easy availability at Walmart and it is CI4+ rated (latest diesel oil rating). A new oil rating and new oils will be launched in October due to EPA mandates for newer motors (backwards compatible) and will offer better protection... so look for it. It will be API CJ4 designated.

Jeff

Old 06-10-2006, 09:13 PM
dapgar
Senior User
A buddy of mine who has an auto repair shop in michigan said that using any other oil but motorcraft for the 6.0 motors voids the warrenty. i kinda thought he was joking but I believe he's right. He has a snowplowing business with many ford diesels and only puts in the recommended motorcraft oil for the new 6.0L motors.

I have a 97 psd. and i change the engine oil every 3k and the fuel filter every other oil change. i also change the tranny fluid at least once a year, and i only run 12k miles a year, but i plow snow and that's hard on it. i'd rather change it more often, than let it go and risk lose the tranny prematurely. i never go by any mileage recommendations the manufacturer says. they don't want your vehicle to last long, remember that. I used to run rotella 1540 in mine, but since I got a connection at castrol, I got their diesel oil 1540 in a drum, for like 50 cents a quart, couldn't pass that up.

i do the differential gear oil every other year.

how often did you have fluids changed when it was on the 30k service plan?

Old 06-10-2006, 09:27 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Hope they don't void my warranty using Case/IH oil since they made the engine.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:30 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dapgar
A buddy of mine who has an auto repair shop in michigan said that using any other oil but motorcraft for the 6.0 motors voids the warrenty.
Man, I don't know where or how people keep coming up with this.....stuff. Show your buddy this:

6.0 Oil Recommendations:
Some trucks with the 6.0 may exhibit hard starting, rough running and lack of power in cold temperatures, particularly on a cold start. This may be due to the oil being to thick for the operating conditions. Ford is recommending to use the following oils for the listed operating temperature.
SAE 15W-40 is the preferred oil above 30 degrees, but it is acceptable for use down to 10 degrees, and is recommended for towing down to this temperature.
SAE 10W-30 is the preferred weight between -10 to 30 degrees.
<LI>SAE 5W-30 and 5W-40 is acceptable for use below 30 degrees, and 0W-30 is acceptable below zero.
(All temperatures are in Fahrenheit.)
The oil used should meet Ford's specification of WSS-M2C171-D or API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4/SL or DHD-1. CH-4 is acceptable for use if CI-4 PLUS is not available. TSB #05-16-6.
Keep in mind that CI-4 oil is designed for the increased soot contamination and higher coolant temperatures of cooled EGR systems on a diesel; CH-4 is not.
Nowhere does the TSB mention synthetic versus conventional oil recomendations or ranges.
Ford has not released anything recommending NOT to use a specific brand of oil.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:34 PM
dapgar
Senior User
thanks for the info, i will pass it on to him. i kinda thought it was BS myself but I respect his well run business and knowledge of his diesels, so I believed him. not a slum mechanic by any means.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:24 PM
scafes
Senior User
Tell him to read the M&M act. The ONLY way they can require you to use Motorcraft is to give it to you free of charge!

Old 06-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by scafes
Tell him to read the M&M act. The ONLY way they can require you to use Motorcraft is to give it to you free of charge!
No it is not.... Ford requires Mercon SP transmission fluid (only) for the torqushift transmission and Ford is the only producer and seller of this fluid. As this time, no "aftermarket company" makes a Mercon SP fluid that meets Fords spec.... yet no lawsuits or any kind?????

Please quote to all of us where the use of a certain fluid (if not made by the aftermarket community) would mean Ford has to pay for the service? Maybe there is a producer of this fluid... just not widespread enough for all to know... so maybe that's why no lawsuits?

I am not disagreeing with you, but after 3+ years of the 6.0L being made... people do not seem to care about a lawsuit.. or have you mis-read the M&M act?

Please advise.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:46 PM
scafes
Senior User
"No it is not.... Ford requires Mercon SP transmission fluid (only) for the torqushift transmission and Ford is the only producer and seller of this fluid. As this time, no "aftermarket company" makes a Mercon SP fluid that meets Fords spec.... yet no lawsuits or any kind?????"

You answered your own question!!! If nobody else makes it, then obviously you must use their stuff. That is NOT the same as requiring ONLY their stuff. If someone, say Valvoline, decides to produce it Ford could not stand in the way of you using it, as long as it meets OR exceeds their specs.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:52 PM
scafes
Senior User
Look at oils. Everyone makes a 15W40 oil. As long as the brand you choose meets or exceeds the Ford spec, you get to use it. If Ford decided to switch to a 25W45, for example only, you would have to purchase it from Ford, until some other company produced it.

As it concerns Mercon SP, I have been told that Ford is planning to change yet again. Therefore, no one wants to engineer their own oil. If that will happen remains to be seen.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:02 PM
scafes
Senior User
FTC regs state: No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service which is IDENTIFED by brand, trade, or corporate name.

This means that Ford cannot tell you to use: Ford, FoMoCo, Motorcraft, etc. branded parts EXCLUSIVELY.

This is the condensed version, but you get the idea.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by scafes
Here is a cut &paste from the AFE air-intake website:

Federal Warranty Laws

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge.

MY TAKE ON THE ABOVE STATEMENT:
The "catch is that Ford says Mercon-SP tranny fluid only or equivalent... just because no one makes it (yet) for any reason is not Ford's problem. They can not control what the aftermarket world makes or does not make... so if they give a spec or say "equivalant".. they are off the hook (my take on it anyway).

The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided.

MY TAKE ON THE ABOVE STATEMENT:
My manual clearly states that certain "performance" aftermarket parts (and they list a few types) will void one's warrenty and cause "possible" problems. Guess by making a "statement" close to the one I tried to paraphrase... Ford will or does claim that they have given written and "said notice"???

The law states in relevant part:“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

FYI -
As well, the courts have ruled that someone that people that lease are not the "owner", but just that...the leasee and the M&M act does not apply. As well, a "consumer" has been defined by the courts as "non-commercial" ownership... so a truck bought by or under a company name (lease or purchase) does NOT have protection under the M&M act.

Last edited by Beachbumcook; 06-11-2006 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 32,000 miles do i need to change some fluids