Question 4 fabmandelux

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:40 AM
Stroke'NPower
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question 4 fabmandelux

Hi Fab and all who read.
I have a few posts on here and have received some great information.

I have the filtering system, Cloth, carbon, water separator, 2 pumps, and big trash can. I wanted to use a water heater for obvious reasons, but read on a recent post that it's not the best idea, Nor is using the large cone tank for clogging reasons.

My question is;
I looked at your pics Fab, and with all due respect, what the hell is that big blue thing, I see the tank below, okay? and the rest? is? what?

Obviously your system works, but without you posting a step by step diagram, can you shed a little light on what it is.

I just bought my first house, I have a nice garage to put my system in but I need to get a little help on the heating, mixing, cleaning process.

I am not looking for a freebee book on how you done it, but I am trying to keep my startup costs at a minimum.

Thank you all in advance for your help, comments and suggestions.

Lance

<o></o>

Old 06-07-2006, 09:23 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Stroke'NPower
Hi Fab and all who read.
I have a few posts on here and have received some great information.

I have the filtering system, Cloth, carbon, water separator, 2 pumps, and big trash can. I wanted to use a water heater for obvious reasons, but read on a recent post that it's not the best idea, Nor is using the large cone tank for clogging reasons.

My question is;
I looked at your pics Fab, and with all due respect, what the hell is that big blue thing, I see the tank below, okay? and the rest? is? what?

Obviously your system works, but without you posting a step by step diagram, can you shed a little light on what it is.

I just bought my first house, I have a nice garage to put my system in but I need to get a little help on the heating, mixing, cleaning process.

I am not looking for a freebee book on how you done it, but I am trying to keep my startup costs at a minimum.

Thank you all in advance for your help, comments and suggestions.

Lance

<O></O>
Welcome to FTE Lance The "big blue thingy" is my Heater-Cleaner. I am not a big fan of the "appleseed" processer design. The blue thing is a 50 gal tank mounted on its side with an open top, this allows me to put even the "solid" chunks of WVO into the tank without pre-heating. It has a 4,500 watt waterheater eliment in one end about 1/3 up from the bottom, wired to 240vac,thermostaticly controlled at 140deg F. On the same end is a valve at the bottom that allows me to pour the Hot oil onto an inclined punch-plate "chute" that removes the "crunchies" from the oil. The Oil then goes into my open-top mix barrel. I am working on posting all my info but have just been to busy with my consulting work, Will try soon to get it up here........................

FABMANDELUX.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Stroke'NPower
Freshman User
Thanks Fabman

that is a help, thank you for the insite. I will hopefullly be able to start my own. Can't wait for more posts about your system, Thanks.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:55 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fabman, i have a comment/question for you, on your preheater deal, I am using the appleseed type processor so won't get into that, but what I do for the preheater deal and might make a good way of doing it for people expecially with limited space is I took a 52 gallon hot water heater tank out of the shell, and cut the top off at the level of the top heating element, leaving the bottom heating element, and thermostat, then put a valve on the bottom drain opening. This is easy to make, doesn't take up much floor space, and is still very easy to get cold oil into. I just wanted your opinion on that as a working deal.
As far as the processor, the appleseed has it's issues true, but it doesn't take up much room and pretty easy to setup and use for novices like me, maybe once I get a new shop build will get a little more fancy but atleast I have gotten a start on the entire process, and really like running this stuff in my truck wish everyone would start using bio.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:41 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Fabman, i have a comment/question for you, on your preheater deal, I am using the appleseed type processor so won't get into that, but what I do for the preheater deal and might make a good way of doing it for people expecially with limited space is I took a 52 gallon hot water heater tank out of the shell, and cut the top off at the level of the top heating element, leaving the bottom heating element, and thermostat, then put a valve on the bottom drain opening. This is easy to make, doesn't take up much floor space, and is still very easy to get cold oil into. I just wanted your opinion on that as a working deal.
As far as the processor, the appleseed has it's issues true, but it doesn't take up much room and pretty easy to setup and use for novices like me, maybe once I get a new shop build will get a little more fancy but atleast I have gotten a start on the entire process, and really like running this stuff in my truck wish everyone would start using bio.
I think that your pre-heater will work just fine Rob.......but now you have two tanks, your preheat tank and the appleseed. I still don't like using a pump to mix with, and you still cannot see the reaction, so if you have a "bad" reaction you won't notice it untill its to late. I think my system is simpler than an appleseed and I've had no issues at all like some people are having with their appleseed's. I don't care what kind of processer people build, just so they build one! I learned from what i've done before, and my new processer is different than my old one, I'll probably keep changing my design, looking to improve it even more..........It's a curse I know.........

FABMANDELUX.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:47 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Well truth of the matter is I had already started assembling the appleseed processor before I even heard about yours, and for now it's working. When I get the new shop built this year hopefully I might look a lot closer at your setup and plan the room for that or a better setup for sure. But like you said atleast I am doing it and running bio in my truck which is my little contribution to solving the fuel problems in this country. Besides the issues of the ULSD coming out, I am saving my engine, and it runs ssssooooo much quieter, and getting better fuel economy too, I just can't see a down side to doing this.

One thing I do with my reactions is about 2/3 of the time through mixing I pull some off through the drain tube into a jar and watch it to see what it's doing at that time. I also have been looking into the KOH instead of lye the only problem I have with that at this time is the colors bieng so close it's hard to see when you have the glycerol drained.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Stroke'NPower
Freshman User
Question ?? what is it

Ok, reading trough this and a few others I have seen you guys mention "appleseed" I looked at few other post and can't find what it is, so not to waste anymore time looking I am just asking, what is it? The "appleseed"

Lance

Old 06-08-2006, 02:24 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

here is a picture of one example of an appleseed processor, basically it uses a hot water heaterfor a reactor vessel, and heater, and pumps to mix the stuff for reaction.
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/ap...0NewMexico.jpg

And no that one isn't mine, just a picture for an example.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Stroke'NPower
Freshman User
Thanks for the Pic. Not much help though..... I get the general Idea, but I would need more information to understand the true function of it.
I feel like the dumb kid in class.....wait a sec I was the dumb kid, only difference is I am asking question now instead of hiding under my desk.

HEY when is recess....I get the big swing...!

Old 06-08-2006, 06:01 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stroke'NPower
Thanks for the Pic. Not much help though..... I get the general Idea, but I would need more information to understand the true function of it.
I feel like the dumb kid in class.....wait a sec I was the dumb kid, only difference is I am asking question now instead of hiding under my desk.

HEY when is recess....I get the big swing...!
Look here: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org This site has many examples of the "appleseed" design.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:21 AM
Stroke'NPower
Freshman User
Thanks again

Thank you again Fabman, this site has much more info than any other I have seen.....
Thanks

Lance

Old 06-13-2006, 02:15 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Fab did you get ahold of Chris yet? Ive been meeting with FTE members but only on emergency terms. Monsterbaby and IowaBill have helped me out, and both are running early stages of bioplants. Now I feel behind the time. I took pics of IowaBills so we can see what makes the fuelmiester soooo expensive. Also looked at the innovative way they use for mixing lye and methanol. Will work for Koh too with out any motors. Pretty smart those fuel meisters and they get paid for it too. Whew...Talk later when finally out of Iowa.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:45 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kennedyford
Hey Fab did you get ahold of Chris yet? Ive been meeting with FTE members but only on emergency terms. Monsterbaby and IowaBill have helped me out, and both are running early stages of bioplants. Now I feel behind the time. I took pics of IowaBills so we can see what makes the fuelmiester soooo expensive. Also looked at the innovative way they use for mixing lye and methanol. Will work for Koh too with out any motors. Pretty smart those fuel meisters and they get paid for it too. Whew...Talk later when finally out of Iowa.
No, I just haven't had time! I've been In Idaho the last 2 days working on the plans for the 500,000 gallon bio plant I've contracted to build. Will try and get to it tomorrow.

FABMANDELUX.