General Automotive Discussion

Out of state registration question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 07:42 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Out of state registration question

I live in NJ. I used to have the name and number from a company (maybe a trucking company) in Maine where I could register a vehicle by mail. They would send the tags and registration to any state. It was basically for a vehicle that might not be able to pass emisions inspection, or something similar in your own state. With Maine tags the local police would not bother you. Maine has inspections I believe, but since the vehicle is not in Maine, there is no problem. I thought I would never need it, but now I do and lost it. Does anybody know of this in Maine or any other state? Thank you for any help.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have heard of it, but you have to give them power of attorney for your car. Plus, if you get stopped, have out of state tags, and a licence for your own state more than a few days old, you are looking at some decent fines. In most states, the fines are over $100, I know here they are around $300, plus they can pull your licence.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:25 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
I know the carnival people register their vehicles in Maine. Just did a search and found the site for the DMV which will give you info. I've got 2 trailers registered in VA, pulled by NY vehicles, one vehicle I leave in VA so I get a VA inspection on it, and a NY driver's license. With so many people having homes in 2 states the DMV's have lightened up a bit.