1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding louder horn but keeping original for alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 01:31 PM
caadoptees
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Adding louder horn but keeping original for alarm?

New to the forums.

I would love to add a loud train sound horn to my F-250. It is amazing how I can be invisible to people especially with my trailer!

I can simply replace the horn but I would love to keep the original horn so when I chirp the alarm you wouldn't have the loud horn go off. Any ideas other than a separate horn button for the new horn?

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Cuda444
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could run both through one 3 way switch, then you would have the ability to use the oem horn, the train horn or none/both (I think). This way, you can retain the factory horn button on the steering wheel, and select which horn that button activates. Seems kind of a hassle to me, you'd have to switch it to OEM setting everytime you set the alarm. But it'd work.

Maybe others have more ideas

Tom

Old 06-02-2006, 03:23 PM
harald
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
When I installed a set of Hadley Bully airhorns in my truck, I just paralled the new horns off the old one. So all horns blow together. I makes for impressive noise when you hit the panic button on the remote . Because of the very short honk duration and the length of hose between the tank and horns, they don't blow very loud when I hit the lock button on the remote.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:48 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
First my truck is an 04 Screw 6.0
I believe my alarm is factory or dealer installed but it is a Ford alarm.
I used the orange wire, that brings power to the 7 pin trailer connector, to power my relay. The wire is only hot when the key is on. I traced this wire to the engine compartment on the drivers side near the firewall. You will find the factory horn wire under the passenger side battery tray. I think it was yellow with a blue tracer. I mounted my very small compressor next to the passenger side battery. I made a small bracket and attached it to the battery tray. My compressor is only used for the horns. The relay I used it a DPDT (double pole double throw). They can be hard to find. I believe partsexpress.com carry them and the sockets for a few dollars each. Now to the wiring. I use the orange wire to power the coil on the relay. When the relay is hot it will switch power to my compressor and switch to horn wire to the air horn solenoid. When to the relay is cold it cut power to the compressor and switch the horn wire back to the factory horns. My horns and air tank are mounted to the frame under the passenger foot well. I angle the horns down to help drain any water. I had to drill a few holes in the frame because I was too lazy to make up some bracket to use the factory holes. I maybe drilled 3 holes. I don’t think it will cause any problems. Once everything was tested I sued heat shrink tubing to cover all the connections and plastic wire loom to cover the wire to the compressor, to the relay, and to the air horn solenoid. I spent maybe $60.00 on additional wire, heat shrink tubing, crimp connectors, and the plastic wire loom. Yes I would do it again and again. The Best mod I have ever down. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Eric

Old 06-02-2006, 07:24 PM
darth_calvin
Senior User
I've got a 24" Grover air horn in mine and can switch between the Grover and the oem horn and only use the stock horn button. And regardless of the position of my switch, only the oem horn chirps when I lock the truck. To do this, I tapped into the horn wire right after it comes out of the steering column. It is a small blue wire to the right of the column in a 6 or 8 way plug. Plug the steering column end of the blue wire into the center pin of a spdt switch. Plug the other end of the blue wire into one side of the switch, and plug the trigger wire for your new horn into the other side of the switch. The oem horn is ground switched, so when you do this you have to make the ground wire the trigger wire for your new horn. In my case, it is the ground wire for an air solenoid. I just hooked the positive wire on the solenoid to a constant hot under the dash. Works for me!

Matt

Old 06-05-2006, 04:54 AM
AzBaddBoy
Senior User
Installing a train horn will not stop ppl from trying to drive through your truck. But man is funny to watch them crap themselves when you nail it. I was going to purchase some 3KLA train horns, but $700 was a little too much for horns. I ended up purchasing the Hammers on Ebay for $79. I had serious doubts, but thought I would give them a try. They work really well and I still have over $600 in my pocket. I am not easily impressed, but honestly I think real train horns in my hands would get me in trouble anyway. They have a video on there showing them in operation. I thought it was kind of a joke since they look like they are in a canyon so it amplifies them. At 150psi you don't want to be near your truck when they go off. I just wired mine through one of my upfitter switches. Installed them on the drivers side pointing down next to my 2.5 gallon air tank pressurized with a ViAir 450. I am in the other boat on the alarm. I will be installing an alarm soon and am purposely going to hook them too it. No one pays attention to alarms anymore. When this baby goes off the theives will crap themselves while running. My wife gets pissed everytime I hit them and shrinks down in the seat so no one can see here. My main reason for purchasing them was so I could watch these morons pee themselves that stop on the RR tracks everyday to wait for the light to change.

Last edited by AzBaddBoy; 06-05-2006 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:14 PM
"Huck"
Freshman User
You could run both through one 3 way switch, then you would have the ability to use the oem horn, the train horn or none/both (I think). This way, you can retain the factory horn button on the steering wheel, and select which horn that button activates.
This is what i did on a 2002 SD. Worked great!

Old 06-06-2006, 04:06 PM
airraid
Junior User
Do what Darth_Calvin recommends. IMHO, this is the only right way to do it.