tried biodiesel in the semi the past couple days

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 01:24 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
tried biodiesel in the semi the past couple days

I am a company driver, so have to fuel at places the company excepts but found a place that sells B20, that is on our fuel list. Well the bio is 3 cents cheaper, adn even though I don't pay the fuel bill, I still try and save the company money as if it's good for them then my job is more secure. And besides this place is trying to get people to try it, and if you pull up to the bio pumps it's full service.
Well have only run one tank so far, but the truck on regular dino fuel seems to get 5.5-5.8mpg, this one tank got 6.1mpg, and no loss of power that I can feel. I know one tank isn't gonna tell it all, but thats the first time in 215,000 miles the truck has ever broken the 6mpg mark.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:09 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont forget to change your fuel filters soon.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:59 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
I am a company driver, so have to fuel at places the company excepts but found a place that sells B20, that is on our fuel list. Well the bio is 3 cents cheaper, adn even though I don't pay the fuel bill, I still try and save the company money as if it's good for them then my job is more secure. And besides this place is trying to get people to try it, and if you pull up to the bio pumps it's full service.
Well have only run one tank so far, but the truck on regular dino fuel seems to get 5.5-5.8mpg, this one tank got 6.1mpg, and no loss of power that I can feel. I know one tank isn't gonna tell it all, but thats the first time in 215,000 miles the truck has ever broken the 6mpg mark.
Great to hear Rob! I've picked up milage on mine too. But hey, HOW DID THE RACE GO ??

FABMANDELUX.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:04 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

fabman, the racing was really rough sunday night, by the time they got to the open class (I run modified, and open/outlaw) the track was getting way out of shape first race the truck in the left lane crossed over the center and into the right lane out of that lane and almost into the crowd. They reworked the track the second race the truck in the right lane lost it skipped sideways and flipped HARD, ripped the front axle clear out, only thing left of the truck was the cab and that was held up by the roll cage. My first pass I came off the line lifted the front end went hard right and ended up on the right hand track. my next race I was in the right track and ended up going out of the track at the crowd got out of it back into the track but lost by about a foot. Basically the track was just to hard to control the high hp rigs, the lower class superstock rigs that moved up into modified actually ended up winning because they could keep the trucks on the ground.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:34 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is great to hear! I would rather support an American farmer than a foreign oil Shiek.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:41 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

second tank was today, 5.8mpg, which isn't bad since we had 49060lbs in the box, gross total weight of 78,900lbs usually that equates to less than 5.5 with this truck.
Phydeaux88, we have a clear fuel filter bowl, you change the filter when the fuel level reaches a certian point on the filter, everytime I get in the truck and when fuel I always look at it, since I am opening hte hood anyway, and it's attached to the frame, so the fuel filter is an easy spot on this and always carry a couple of spares in the truck because you never know when your gonna get some bad fuel and plug one up.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:17 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Monsterbaby, Was the fuel a premium fuel with B20 or straight #2 w/ B20 ?? I've been running with prem + B20.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:51 PM
IABill
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Monster, Where are you gettin B-20 in IA or ILL by any chance. We are back racin the bikes again AMA Dist 17 running to ILL about every weekend cept last weekend week off. Week B-4 in Quincy this Sat in Galesburg. Like to try some commerical B-20. Got my first batch of WVO to turn into fuel but don't quite have stuff ready to brew the first batch......Bill.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:12 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Bill, We are getting that at the Sapp Bros, in council bluffs.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterbady
Phydeaux88, we have a clear fuel filter bowl, you change the filter when the fuel level reaches a certian point on the filter, everytime I get in the truck and when fuel I always look at it, since I am opening hte hood anyway, and it's attached to the frame, so the fuel filter is an easy spot on this and always carry a couple of spares in the truck because you never know when your gonna get some bad fuel and plug one up.
Sounds like ya got it covered

Old 06-01-2006, 11:46 AM
IABill
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Thank's, Kinda the wrong side of the state. Guess I need to look at racin in NE