1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pitman arm ball for a '52 F1

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitman arm ball for a '52 F1

I'm looking for the best (only ?) source for a pitman arm ball to use on the one I'mm building for the Toyota Steering box. My old one is flat enough that it looks like an over-grown asprin! It's all I need to finish my power steering update.
Bike

Old 05-31-2006, 06:22 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think SAC Vintage has them.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:46 AM
dffay
Elder User
I got one from Mid-Fifty. Mic the other side too-on the steering arm. You might want to replace that one also while you it torn down. It takes a helluva press and some heat to remove it but its worth it. When both of the ***** are out of round-drag link and steering arm- the problem is compounded with sloppiness.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Thanks fellas.
Bike

Old 06-01-2006, 07:45 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Note that the F100 ones are larger diameter than the F1, you can use them, but you'll need to change to the F100 drag link as well.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:27 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,833 Posts
When I made my steering set-up I made my own pitman arm and drag link. I used the toyota ***** on both the pitman arm and the steering arm. I pressed the Ford ball out of the steering arm and welded the Toyota ball in its place. I had to extend the toyota drag link a bit also.

Bobby

Old 06-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Since I have the Toyota arm and half of the link, I considered converting mine. I'll have to see what I can come up with. Thanks.

Originally Posted by bobbytnm
When I made my steering set-up I made my own pitman arm and drag link. I used the toyota ***** on both the pitman arm and the steering arm. I pressed the Ford ball out of the steering arm and welded the Toyota ball in its place. I had to extend the toyota drag link a bit also.

Bobby

Old 06-01-2006, 11:11 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Have you measured the Toy ball and the F1 to see if they are close?

Old 06-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
The Toyota looks smaller. I think I'll just order the right ball for the '52 and do it right. I figure I'll replace the one on the steering arm also. I really want this truck to steer and stop! Know-whatta-mean?

Originally Posted by AXracer
Have you measured the Toy ball and the F1 to see if they are close?

Old 06-02-2006, 07:29 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Are you making your own pitman arm or using the Toy one? IIRC the Toy is a fair bit shorter than the MF conversion arm I used, it may not give you enough turning. If you want to do it right, use the MF arm and change the ball on the steering arm at the spindle to the F100 size and use an F100 draglink.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:24 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While we are discussing this; Has anyone made their own Drag Link using Hiem Joints?
I've been thinking about this as of now I intend on useing the Manual ToyBox conversion and will have to most likely make a Pitman Arm out of parts and pieces.
I want to be able to make adjustments to correct any -- Uh misadjustments made during the cludjing process.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:31 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
The Toy box pitman shaft has a high spline count, so you can make pretty small adjustments just by shifting the pitman arm a notch or two, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:10 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,833 Posts
It seems to me that the Toyota ball was bigger than the Ford ball, but I've slept and partied a few times since then and might have wiped out those brain cells.

I made my own drag link but not with the hiem joints. I used the Toyota drag link and cut it down approx 6". It was hollow so I fitted some 3/4" round stock in it, beveled the ends a bit, drilled several holes for rosette welds and took it over to my buddy's fab shop and used his high amperage welders to put it all together.

I had also made my own pitman arm. I used the Toyota pitman arm, cut it in two and turned one end around 180 before welding it all back together (I had my buddy who's a certified welder do this part) complete with gussets, etc. At first I thought I screwed up and didn't make the pitman arm long enough and it looked like I would end up with some bump steer. Now that I have all the sheetmetal back on the truck and have removed a couple leaves from the spring packs it all looks good and the drag link is parallel to the ground.

Where there is a will, there is a way
Good luck
Bobby

Old 06-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Are you making your own pitman arm or using the Toy one? IIRC the Toy is a fair bit shorter than the MF conversion arm I used, it may not give you enough turning. If you want to do it right, use the MF arm and change the ball on the steering arm at the spindle to the F100 size and use an F100 draglink.
I'm not up on all the terms used here. Does MF mead manufactured? I plan on building my own arm. I'm a certified welder and I can use the Toyota arm to work out the geometry. I am considering using the F100 link since it's heavier. Usually, if a manufacturer beefs up a part in later models, it's because it needs to be beefier! Or so I'm told.
Bike

Old 06-02-2006, 11:50 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Bikewrench
I'm not up on all the terms used here. Does MF mead manufactured? I plan on building my own arm. I'm a certified welder and I can use the Toyota arm to work out the geometry. I am considering using the F100 link since it's heavier. Usually, if a manufacturer beefs up a part in later models, it's because it needs to be beefier! Or so I'm told.
Bike
MF= Mid Fifty www.midfifty.com They sell a complete set of all the parts needed to do the Toyota conversion. If you don't have a MF print catalog call them in the AM and order one. They are free and contain a wealth of useful info as well as a full line of parts. It's more valuable than the factory shop manual IMHO. The gals at MF know more about 53-56 trucks than I do, I call them when I run into a question!
The Toy pitman arm is too short to use as a reference. The major geometry you want to be aware of is that the pitman arm wants to be vertical and the drag link wants to be horizontal at center. While beefing things up replace the tierod with the heavy duty one MF sells. Have you read the article Fergy and I wrote on steering conversions?

Quick Reply: Pitman arm ball for a '52 F1