1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Need steering gear tech info please

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 11:00 PM
Sportcustom69
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of re-sealing my steering gear box and need a little help finding the correct seal for the input shaft. I have a Bendix power steering gear off of my 70 model 1/2 ton. It has the 4 bolt aluminum cap. The input shaft is the only thing leaking, but I can't find a parts guy with the right catalog to look up the right seal. Most any tech info on this would be of great help.

Old 02-17-2002, 11:19 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you tried the federal-mogul web site?

http://www.federalmogul.com/aftermarket/default.asp

Dennis https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=1733&.jpg

Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions As:
"I'm Saving My Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's"

78 F-150 429CJ,Silver
w/Explorer Pkge.
641/2-Mustang 260,Pre-World's Fair Car.
64-Fairlane500 S/C waiting for a 390-4spd.
68-Mustang 289-Sunlit Gold 80,892Mi
78-Buick LeSabre 403 4V
84 Volvo DL Wagon

Old 02-19-2002, 05:40 PM
OldFords
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-Feb-02 AT 06:42 PM (EST)]The seal for the input shaft is very thin when compared ot other seals that the parts dealers have (such as NAPA, CARQUEST, etc.). It is held in with a snap ring. When you take it out, be very careful so that you do not destroy the part number molded onto the side of the seal; it's your only chance of finding another (mine was already ruined). If you are able to read the part number, you may be able to find the seal at a place like "Bearing, Belt, and Chain". I had a guy there tell me if I had the number, he could find the seal.

Please e-mail me the seal part number if you are lucky enough to save it, and I will search for it in my area: market@zianet.com

The Bendix box was an option offered by the factory (why, I don't know). What I do know is that, to me, it "feels" much smoother, and takes a bit less effort to turn, than the Ford box.

I had the same problem you have, fluid leaking from the input shaft seal area. I searched for several months for a seal or seal kit for the Bendix box, with zero luck.

I finally gave up and installed the Ford box. Doing this is not a simple thing. The Ford box is taller than the Bendix box.
!! It just hit me . . . . . the Bendix box may be the same height as the manual box Ford offered !!

Anyhooo, in order to put the Ford box in, you will have to find a power steering shaft (the shaft that goes up thru the floor to the steering wheel). This shaft is shorter than the Bendix or manual shafts.

I have found that the steering column (housing for the signal light switch) is the same length, so it should not need to be replaced.
Having said that, it is always a good idea to get every thing from the steering box to the steering wheel if you take it from a donor truck.

I have also found that the F100 and F250 use the same steering box (at least they will interchange). I have used both in my '70 F100. In fact, I have one or two laying around somewhere.

I really like the Bendix box, and I have saved every thing to reinstall it if I can ever find seals for it.

Let me know how you make out.

OldFords Bad attitudes

Old 02-23-2002, 06:58 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 02-23-2002, 07:19 PM
kd5inm
New User

I appreciate the info I've found here, I have a 1968 F100 SWB with manual steering which is well worn, it leaks from the seals around the shaft going down to the linkage.
I've had the hardest time trying to find a kit to rebuild this or a rebuilt unit, I ask for a MANUAL unit and they send a power steering unit.... I'm about to go and find one in a wrecking yard and rebuilding it myself, the one that Is on the truck is rebuildable, but I use the truck and would like to minimize the downtime.
Where is a good place to try and get a rebuilt MANUAL steering unit, also is there any place on the net to find diagrams for these old trucks( I love mine, had it for 10 years already, I'm third owner )
The books I have don't show breakdowns of the gearbox, I have the FoMoCo box, tag says SMA E
7L24C

Yep, I was told I'd have to change out the steering shaft to put in Power steering, I like the manual steering, but I'm wishing I had the power setup since it's easy to get replacement parts.

How easy is it to rebuild the ford box??

Any input is appreciated! Thanks, John Hamilton KD5INM
Licensed Radio Operator